SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : For some Christians, King James is the only Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 For some Christians, King James is the only Bible

On its 400th anniversary, the King James version of the Bible is universally recognized as a literary masterpiece that profoundly shaped both modern Christianity and the English language.

At the Bible Baptist Church in Mount Prospect, Ill., however, it's accorded a much higher level of reverence.

"Using anything but the King James version is like shaving with a banana," said Chris Huff, the church's pastor.

The suburban Chicago church belongs to a loosely defined denomination known as the "King James Only" movement. Members believe that the King James version is not just another translation, but the indispensable underpinning of a Christian's faith. ...

read more: http://www.mercurynews.com/faith/ci_17627215?nclick_check=1

2011/3/21 23:05Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re: For some Christians, King James is the only Bible

I love the KJV! It is one of the longest lasting translations of the Bible and has stood the test of time. Though I wouldn't go as far as Chris Huff, a standard Bible helps formulate doctrine and aids memorization.

2011/3/23 0:16Profile
Yot36

The 1560 Geneva Bible is more accurate than the KJV. Consider this. In 1611 when the KJV was written and published, Catholic persecution of what they called Heretics was in full force. Take a look at Mark 10 Verse 19. The KJV says - Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
The word defraud meansG650 ἀποστερέω apostereō
ap-os-ter-eh'-o
From G575 and στερέω stereō (to deprive); to despoil: - defraud, destitute, kept back by fraud.
The same passage in the Geneva Bible says this - Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the comandements, Thou shalt not commit adulterie. Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steale. Thou shalt not beare false witnesse. Thou shalt hurt no man. Honour thy father and mother.
The word hurt has a much broader meaning - Hurt
HURT, v.t. pret. and pp. hurt.

1. To bruise; to give pain by a contusion, pressure, or any violence to the body. We hurt the body by a severe blow, or by tight clothes, and the feet by fetters. Psa 105.

2. To wound; to injure or impair the sound state of the body,as by incision or fracture.

3. To harm; to damage; to injure by occasioning loss. We hurt a man by destroying his property.

4. To injure by diminution; to impair.

5. To injure by reducing in quality; to impair the strength,purity or beauty of.

6. To harm; to injure; to damage, in general.

7. To wound; to injure; to give pain to; as, to hurt the feelings.

HURT, n. A wound; a bruise; any thing that gives pain to the body.

1. Harm; mischief; injury.

2. Injury; loss.
Why would the KJV change that?
Romans 13:13 KJV says Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
Geneva says Rom 13:13 So that wee walke honestly, as in the day: not in gluttonie, and drunkennesse, neither in chambering and wantonnes, nor in strife and enuying.
What is the difference between Gultony and Rioting, something you might want to look up. They carry different meanings. History records that King James was a glutton. In many instances where glutony was spoken of in the Geneva bible, the KJV changed the word to rioting. Romans 9:5, the KJV says this - Pay close attention to the punctuation in this verse.Rom 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. Now the Geneva Version - Rom 9:5 Of whome are the fathers, and of whome concerning the flesh, Christ came, who is God ouer all, blessed for euer, Amen. This minor change in punctuation has stripped the diety of Christ. Some have estimated that as much as 18% of the KJV suffers from this kind of change. Also consider this, no one died for the King James Bible, but many thousands were persecuted unto death for the 1560 Geneva Reformers bible. History records that many of the fires that burned the martyrs were fuled with reformers bibles. Don't believe me look it up for yourself. I refer to Acts 17:11. It is difficult to get your hands on a Geneva Bible. Amazon sells them for about $50.00 in Hardcopy. They are much more difficult to read but worth the effort. There is a free program called E-Sword that has an electronic version of the Geneva Bible and many other bible translations and resources that I highly recommend that every believer use. It is a very valuable tool in Bible study.I make this post in an effort to point believers to the truth, not simply to trash a version of the Bible. God Bless

2011/3/23 0:23Profile

Definitely King James only for me. Or rather, what is properly called the "Majority Text" or "TEXTUS RECEPTUS"(also known as the Traditional Text", Syrian Text, Byzantine Text, The K (Kappa), and the Common Text). The new, so-called "modern" versions of the Bible are NOT based on this text and are full of heresies, as clearly revealed in numerous scripture verse by verse studies, including one 6 year study written by G.A. Riplinger (NEW AGE BIBLE VERSIONS: An Exhaustive Documentation Exposing the Message, Men, and Manuscripts Moving Mankind to the Antichrist's One World Religion").

After many years of confusion while sitting in churches wondering and asking God, "Lord, which is the REAL Holy Bible?" God led me to this answer: King James Authorized. I was not happy with that answer, having grown up on the RSV! But when i humbled myself and did the research of the scripture by scripture comparison I could not deny the truth. And i am not talking about trivial words like "gluttony" and "rioting" but rather CORE doctrinal verses dealing with the diety of Christ and with salvation. BTW, William Tyndale died for this Bible, this manuscript...

p.s.The character of King James himself is irrelevant when discussing this Bible, as it was not written by him, only dedicated to him and it's printing authorized or allowed by him.

2011/3/23 0:51
EverestoSama

Re:

Oh bother. All because someone was trying to sell a Friends DVD box set. (It appears their post was deleted)

2011/3/23 0:56Profile
Yot36

Re:

Tyndale wrote the Tyndale bible which preceeded even the geneva bible. He absolutely did not die for the KJV, you facts are incorrect. Read the Difference between Romans 9:5 in the Geneva vs. KJV. Doctrinal? Is Jesus God? Is that trivial. Look, I;m just pointing out that we have to search all that is available to us to find the truth. God Bless

2011/3/23 1:08Profile

Re:

I have been unable to find enough information on the Geneva Bible and which manuscripts it derives from. It's possible it is based on the traditional Greek manuscripts but I cannot recall nor find mention to make certain.

Modern "bibles" like the NIV, NASV, ESV, Living Bible, and others are based on the 1% minority manuscripts, otherwise known as the Vaticanus manuscripts (B and C especially), Alexandrian, and other names. So when people tell you, "The Greek says...", ask them WHICH GREEK?

2011/3/23 1:18

Re:

God bless you too Yot. We can help to clarify each other's info. : )

Actually King James DID indirectly die for the KJV. Here is a quote from an article:

"The Tyndale Bible, as it was known, continued to play a key role in spreading Reformation ideas across Europe. The fifty-four independent scholars who created the King James Version of the bible in 1611 drew significantly on Tyndale's translations. One estimation suggests the New Testament in the King James Version is 83% Tyndale's, and the Old Testament 76%." source: http://www.ask.com/wiki/William_Tyndale

So, while it was not Tyndale's own Bible, the KJB is descended from it.

p.s. Is it still possible to get a copy of the origianl Geneva Bible?

2011/3/23 1:38
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"Is it still possible to get a copy of the origianl Geneva Bible?"

You can download a program called E-Sword for your computer and one of the bible versions you can download is the Geneva bible, I am not sure how true that version is to an original Geneva but its a free program though the founder and creator appreciates donation, money is definitely not his push or focus.

2011/3/23 3:06Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Yot36, have you forgotten that the original Greek had no puncutation?

2011/3/23 6:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy