SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A question for Calvinist (purely friendly)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Just one small point i really appreciate all the sermon being posted...

But I've been around the Christian fringe for 30 years..I've heard sermons from Art to Daniels and Washer to Piper and back to Conlon, and read books from M L Jones to Smith Wigglesworth...I'm not sure another sermons going to help...

2011/3/22 9:25Profile

Re:

Maybe the sermons won't work, but our prayers will. My name's Grant. What's your name, man? First name's good enough.

2011/3/22 9:35
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi its andy thks

2011/3/22 9:40Profile

Re:

strawrifle

From what you say, it sounds to me like you have come to Christ in the past, but the things that you were involved in and perhaps family involvement in the occult have had a serious effect on your growth and ability to feel the presence of God. It was like that for me. I often doubted that I was saved. What you need is deliverance which involves repenting of the negative attitudes to God, who does love you and HAS done all He could at this point, but you have been listening to the devil. It is necessary for us to go through a lot in order for the strongholds of the enemy to be broken but if you repent and come again to Christ that is, do your first work again, and believe that the power of sin is broken in those who trust in Him, then believe that He has accepted you taking no notice of your feelingas or lack of them. We are to walk in faith not in feelings. Believe and the power of the enemy will be broken.

2011/3/22 10:00
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi will take that on board thks...My family though not saved, are very sweet people very kind and great parents, so no involvement in anything of an occult nature..

2011/3/22 10:05Profile
Elowel

Re:

Quote:
Just one small point i really appreciate all the sermon being posted...

But I've been around the Christian fringe for 30 years..I've heard sermons from Art to Daniels and Washer to Piper and back to Conlon, and read books from M L Jones to Smith Wigglesworth...I'm not sure another sermons going to help...

The message is still the same. We must repent and trust in Christ for the forgiveness of sins. Look through God's promises in the Bible.

Jeremiah 31, 32, Ezekiel 36:25-28, Romans 8...

[By the way, I'm much younger than strawrifle here--is this an improper way to appeal to someone older than myself to trust in Christ?)

2011/3/22 10:07Profile

Re:

You see. you know the difference between saved and unsaved and it is not because you have been brought up like a lot here in the US where Christianity is culture too.

2011/3/22 10:08
jimp

Re:

hi, if you insist on being lost, you can remain lost and without simple child like faith in what Jesus has done for you,personnally...and spend eternity without Him in torment and win your argument.jimp dumb

2011/3/22 10:17Profile

Re: A question for Calvinist (purely friendly)

Andy, I really feel for where you are at for I know what it is like. Check out Psalm 130 - I expect this identifies quite a bit with where you are at. It is certainly one I have prayed through before.

I really do believe that it's important to trust (really, really trust) in the promises of God for salvation regardless of feelings, and it is from that point on that our faith & obedience grow.

I was struck by the account of Finney's conversion that was posted up not that long ago (https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=37572&forum=40&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=1)

Notice how in the midst of despair, he remembered a promise in scripture and clung to it. It was only after he had done this (some hours later) that he had an overwhelming experience of the Holy Spirit.

That kind of experience doesn't happen to every Christian, but I still think it's vital we repeat God's promises to ourselves until we believe them. This isn't some mere 'intellectual assent' but an utter casting of ourselves into God hands. I too struggle with doubt in this area and my only real hope at the moment seems to be in casting myself on the mercy of Jesus - not looking at any good in myself or in some feeling.

Here are a few scriptures that contain the kind of promises I'm talking about.

Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away.
(John 6:37)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
(Matt 11:28-30)

If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1 John 1:9)

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
(1 John 2:1-2)

‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.” But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!” I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.’
(Luke 18:9-14)

“All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
(Acts 10: 43)

Let it be known to you therefore, my brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you; by this Jesus everyone who believes is set free from all those sins from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses.
(Acts 13: 38)

If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved. The scripture says, ‘No one who believes in him will be put to shame.’
(Romans 10:9-11)

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace that he lavished on us.
(Ephesians 1:7-8)

This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him.
(Ephesians 3:11-12)

Therefore, my friends, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain (that is, through his flesh), and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
(Hebrews 10:19-22)

All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself,* not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
(2 Corinthians 5:18-21)

2011/3/22 12:03

Re:

Well I think the scriptures are pretty clear in Romans 3 that no one seeks after God at least on their own power they don't. Jesus gives us the answer in John chapter 6 that God the father is the one who draws someone, so if your being drawn it is because of your heavnly father praise God. He is drawing you seek him with all your heart and you will find him. I recommend Luke 15 it speaks of the desire of God for you to come to him. I think you misunderstand total depravity, total depravity in essence means that people before they come to Christ our spiritually discerned and cannot know the things of God truly or understand them because they lack the Spirit of God you can find that scripture in 1st corinthians chapter 2. People don't have the spiritual stimuli to want the the things of God or truly desire him from a right heart. It is only when God's spirit moves upon a man that it is possible for them to know the things of the spirit. Utter depravity on the other hand means someone is completely evil as they can be while total is not that the person can't do good or is all evil, but that realationship with God is not their and they do not do the things for the glory of God. If your seeking God it is because he is calling you, keep seeking my friend He wants to save you and is able. The Christian walk will cost you everything my friend count the cost of being a disciple. You must surrender your heart over to Christ fully. I heard a sermon and ib the sermon the an said something vital to yours and mine understanding of being a Christian, God is not interested in sunday Christians or half in and half out, He wants all of you or nothing. Revelation 3:15 God bless you brother

2011/3/22 15:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy