Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Biblical Truth in Amish Community [Videos]

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
davidtowers

England

Re:

Hi TrueWitness I'm afraid I don't know. God bless!

2011/4/5 2:51Profile

David Towers

Quote:
@Natan4Jesus that's wonderful that you will hopefully soon be living in an area with a large Amish population, I hope and pray God gives you opportunity to share with them.

God bless you for that word of encouragement! Thank you, i'm so excited, and feel so blessed.

as you noticed, the brothers cant even read their own Bible, so i intend on making a large purchase from Biblica.

now my soon to be, God willing, cabins, are all Amish built, i have more work needs to be done, which means fellowship....i'm not shy, and as God gives me favor with man, you best believe those Bibles are going to my Amish bro's...stir things up,

the other blessed occasion i have, is that the county seat, i moving near, has 4300 souls, half neo-hippies, half Mayberry. Now "Mayberry" has many churches, stretching thru the whole denominational gamut, Lutheran, United Methodists, etc. that foundation has been laid, but who talks to the hippies?

i know their language, and i know what Paul wrote about cross culture witness........i'm excited in Jesus, may God make me as holy as a saved sinner can be.

neil

2011/4/5 7:19

True Witness

Quote:
Can anyone (who knows for sure) tell me if the older Amish males are REQUIRED to grow Jebediah-style beards? Or perhaps they choose to do so, so as to be recognized as Amish.

i was just re-watching the doc, and the journalist asks the young Amish man why he grows the beard, he replied, "I don't know"....meaning its tradition, not to be questioned.

its almost "feels" like a proto Nazerene vow, a way of showing seperation and community. They remind me very very much of the Hassidim.

Lots of long held "traditions", not to be questioned.

2011/4/5 7:31
rusaved1

Virginia

Re: Amish Documentary

I liked the Trouble in Amish Paradise, but it appeared that BBC was trying to make Ephraim look a bit on the fringe and fanatical in the 2nd one, Leaving Amish Paradise. Maybe not though... I've met some of them, they're a sweet family.

2011/4/5 8:45Profile

Re:

Neil,

Just a friendly suggestion. You may already know about the fact that the Amish are a very strong Patriarchal community. And you may already have familiarized yourself with Patriarchy, but if not, it is a good thing to understand when trying to minister to people caught up/being raised in a Patriarchal environment.

May the Lord bless you with more and more wisdom,

2011/4/5 9:10

Re: Please move to head covering thread. posted in erong thread.

While not having a clear understanding of 1 Cor.11 and the head covering, I am troubled about this thread. Perhaps I am reading too many profiles on Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan and their treatment of women. In Islamic cultures governed by sharia women are required to wear the veil or hajib. Generally this symbolizes the oppression of women in Islam. Moslem men are quick to point out this signifies the virtue and submission of the woman to the male.

Then there are the Amish women who wear head covering along with their rejection of modern conviences. They believe their separation makes them holy before God. There are the traditional pentacostal women who wear no make up and their hair in a bun. Generally this is a sign of holiness.

Is one's virtue or holiness or character defined by their external dress or an inward reality of Christ? Does the New Testament not teach that submission to Christ is more defined by the fruit of the Spirit? Is it not more the inward reality of Christ in us, dwelling in our hearts, that brings submission.

It seems to me that the fruit of the Spirit that comes from being on the vine who is Jesus is more the test of submission than how we externally dress.

Blaine

2011/9/30 20:49
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:

It seems to me that the fruit of the Spirit that comes from being on the vine who is Jesus is more the test of submission than how we externally dress.

Blaine, one question - how can you separate the two: the heart from the external? You cannot.

A Christian woman who covers her head when praying or prophesying is not doing it as an act of virtue but as an act of obedience. Obedience is the goal, not virtue.

Granted, there are many who do it for all the wrong reasons, but that does not nullify scriptural directives. It does not nullify the fact that Jesus is the head of the church, nor that man is the head of woman, or that woman needs a sign of power on her head because of the angels. Blaine, it is a lot like this: there are many people who marry and divorce. This reality does not mean one should quit marrying because 50% of all marriages end up in the divorce courts. NO! We encourage marriage for all the right reasons among the greatest is that God ordained it so. Get my point? Why some abuse it is between them and God - it is no excuse for my own disobedience.

About the Muslim females wearing a veil - do you not know they adopted this practice from the Christians? In addition to this they did a few more very unBiblical things. And Jewish ladies - I have seen and talked with an Orthodox Jewish woman a few years ago who wore a head covering. Her husband wore an yarmulke. She told me she wore it for modesty sake.

My point is we cannot look to others, see their abuse and based on this decide how one should obey the WORD.

My understanding...

Oh, and by the way, I do enjoy your posts - I hope you will not leave the forum...

ginnyrose

2011/9/30 22:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy