Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Baptism of Fire

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HISslave

Vancouver, WA

Baptism of Fire

Recently I heard some people talking about the baptism of fire. I never really heard anything about this and don't have any idea what this is.
Can anyone explain what this is and where Scripture talks about this?

Thanks

P.S.
And may God richly bless all of my brothers and sisters here on SI. I have received so much from this website and the discussions on the forums. I am grateful that the Lord let me find this site.

2011/3/16 18:47Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Baptism of Fire

If you look at all of the places this word (fire) is used in the NT, it is almost always dealing with a fire that burns and destroys or that refines. We know that God is a consuming fire. We know that the Holy Spirit was sent in part to give us power to be witnesses. But this word "witnesses" is literally translated "martyrs". There is a relational interaction that takes place when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit that does not seem to exist when we are born again. This communion with God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit purifies in a very powerful way. I really believe that this "fire" is not some sort of a charisma that causes us to be "fiery" or "powerful", but rather refers to the purifying work of the Holy Spirit as we walk in the Spirit and put the flesh to death. I have found that this is a very important part of my walk and that I could never put to death the flesh apart from the power of the Holy Spirit.

2011/3/17 17:27Profile
rebekaht

Re:

How is this evidenced in a believer's life? I have just recently been taught about the difference between being born again and being baptized in the Holy Spirit. But how does this manifest itself in a believer's life? I know in scripture several times in the NT that when a group of people were baptized in the Holy Spirit they often broke out, speaking languages that they had no comprehension of.

2011/3/17 21:29Profile
learjet

Quote:

I was on my way to work thinking about this thread today.

This is a beautiful story and well worth the read, it’s about David Brainerd’s interpreter who thought that he was saved, and did the ‘right things’ but never came the conviction of the Holy Spirit, the last entry is well worth the wait. My comments are formatted like this

I respect that this is a long read but it's well worth the time, I was sobbing like a child after reading it, it's a beautiful read that is the best example of the fire baptism that I can think of.

Lord’s day, July 21. Preached to the Indians first, then to a number of white people present, and in the afternoon to the Indians again. – Divine truth seemed to make very considerable impressions upon several of them, and caused the tears to flow freely. – Afterwards I baptized my interpreter and his wife, who were the first I baptized among the Indians.

They are both persons of some experimental knowledge in religion; have both been awakened to a solemn concern for their souls; have to appearance been brought to a sense of their misery and undoneness in themselves; have both appeared to be comforted with divine consolations; and it is apparent both have passed a great, and I cannot but hope a saving, change.

It may perhaps be satisfactory and agreeable that I should give some brief relation of the man’s exercise and experience since he has been with me, especially seeing he is employed as my interpreter to others. – When I first employed him in this business in the beginning of summer, 1744, he was well fitted for his work in regard of his acquaintance with the Indian and English language, as well as with the manners of both nations; and in regard of his desire that the Indians should conform to the customs and manners of the English, and especially to their manner of living. But he seemed to have little or no impression of religion upon his mind, and in that respect was very unfit for his work, being incapable of understanding and communicating to others many things of importance; so that I laboured under great disadvantages in addressing the Indians, for want of his having an experimental, as well as more doctrinal, acquaintance with divine truths; and, at times, my spirits sunk and were much discouraged under this difficulty, especially when I observed that divine truths made little or no impressions upon his mind for many weeks together.

He indeed behaved soberly after I employed him, (although before he had been a hard drinker,) and seemed honestly engaged as far as he was capable in the performance of his work; and especially he appeared very desirous that the Indians should renounce their heathenish notions and practices, and conform to the customs of the christian world. But still he seemed to have no concern about his own soul, till he had been with me a considerable time.

Near the latter end of July, 1744, I preached to an assembly of white people, with more freedom and fervency than I could possibly address the Indians with, without their having first attained a greater measure of doctrinal knowledge. At this time he was present, and was somewhat awakened to a concern for his soul; so that the next day he discoursed freely with me about his spiritual concerns, and gave me an opportunity to use further endeavours to fasten the impressions of his perishing state upon his mind: and I could plainly perceive for some time after this, that he addressed the Indians with more concern and fervency than he had formerly done.

But these impressions seemed quickly to decline, and he remained in a great measure careless and secure, until some time late in the fall of the year following, at which time he fell into a weak and languishing state of body, and continued much disordered for several weeks together. At this season divine truth took hold of him, and made deep impressions upon his mind. He was brought under great concern for his soul, and his exercise was not now transient and unsteady, but constant and abiding, so that his mind was burdened from day to day; and it was now his great inquiry, "What he should do to be saved?" His spiritual trouble prevailed, till at length his sleep, in a measure, departed from him, and he had little rest day or night; but walked about under a great pressure of mind, (for he was still able to walk,) and appeared like another man to his neighbours, who could not but observe his behaviour with wonder.

After he had been some time under this exercise, while he was striving to obtain mercy, he says, there seemed to be an impassable mountain before him. He was pressing towards heaven, as he thought, but "his way was hedged up with thorns, that he could not stir an inch further." He looked this way and that way, but could find no way at all. He thought, if he could but make his way through these thorns and briers, and climb up the first steep pitch of the mountain, that then there might be hope for him; but no way or means could he find to accomplish this. Here he laboured for a time, but all in vain; he saw it was impossible, he says, for him ever to help himself through this insupportable difficulty. He felt it signified nothing, "it signified just nothing at all for him to strive and struggle any more." And here, he says, he gave over striving, and felt that it was a gone case with him, as to his own power, and that all his attempts were, and for ever would be, vain and fruitless. And yet was more calm and composed under this view of things, than he had been while striving to help himself.

While he was giving me this account of his exercise, I was not without fears that what he related was but the working of his own imagination, and not the effect of any divine illumination of mind. But before I had time to discover my fears, he added, that at this time he felt himself in a miserable and perishing condition; that he saw plainly what he had been doing all his days, and that he had never done one good thing, as he expressed it. He knew, he said, he was not guilty of some wicked actions that he knew some others guilty of. He had not been used to steal, quarrel, and murder; the latter of which vices are common among the Indians. He likewise knew that he had done many things that were right; he had been kind to his neighbours, &c. But still his cry was, "that he had never done one good thing." I knew, said he, that I had not been so bad as some others in some things, and that I had done many things which folks call good; but all this did me no good now, I saw that "all was bad, and that I never had done one good thing;" – meaning that he had never done any thing from a right principle, and with a right view, though he had done many things that were materially good and right. And now I thought, said he, that I must sink down to hell, that there was no hope for me, "because I never could do any thing that was good;" and if God let me alone never so long, and I should try never so much, still I should do nothing but what is bad, &c.

This further account of his exercise satisfied me that it was not the mere working of his imagination, since he appeared so evidently to die to himself, and to be divorced from a dependence upon his own righteousness, and good deeds, which mankind in a fallen state are so much attached to, and inclined to hope for salvation upon.

There was one thing more in his view of things at this time that was very remarkable. He not only saw, he says, what a miserable state he himself was in, but he likewise saw the world around him, in general, were in the same perishing circumstances, notwithstanding the profession many of them made of Christianity, and the hope they entertained of obtaining everlasting happiness. And this he saw clearly, "as if he was now awaked out of sleep, or had a cloud taken from before his eyes." He saw that the life he had lived was the way to eternal death, that he was now on the brink of endless misery: and when he looked round, he saw multitudes of others who had lived the same life with himself, persons who had no more goodness than he, and yet dreamed that they were safe enough, as he had formerly done. He was fully persuaded by their conversation and behaviour, that they had never felt their sin and misery, as he now felt his.

After he had been for some time in this condition, sensible of the impossibility of his helping himself by any thing he could do, or of being delivered by any created arm, so that he "had given up all for lost," as to his own attempts, and was become more calm and composed; then, he says, it was borne in upon his mind as if it had been audibly spoken to him, "There is hope, there is hope." Whereupon his soul seemed to rest and be in some measure satisfied, though he had no considerable joy.

He cannot here remember distinctly any views he had of Christ, or give any clear account of his soul’s acceptance of him, which makes his experience appear the more doubtful, and renders it less satisfactory to himself and others, than it might be, if he could remember distinctly the apprehensions and actings of his mind at this season. – But these exercises of soul were attended and followed with a very great change in the man, so that it might justly be said, he was become another man, if not a new man. His conversation and deportment were much altered, and even the careless world could not but admire what had befallen him to make so great a change in his temper, discourse, and behaviour. – And especially there was a surprising alteration in his public performances. He now addressed the Indians with admirable fervency, and scarce knew when to leave off: and sometimes when I had concluded my discourse, and was returning homeward, he would tarry behind to repeat and inculcate what had been spoken.

His change is abiding, and his life, so far as I know, unblemished to this day, though it is now more than six months since he experienced this change; in which space of time he has been as much exposed to strong drink, as possible, in divers places where it has been moving free as water; and yet has never, that I know of, discovered any hankering desire after it. – He seems to have a very considerable experience of spiritual exercise, and discourses feelingly of the conflicts and consolations of a real Christian. His heart echoes to the soul-humbling doctrines of grace, and he never appears better pleased than when he hears of the absolute sovereignty of God, and the salvation of sinners in a way of mere free grace. He has likewise of late had more satisfaction respecting, his own state, has been much enlivened and assisted in his work, so that he has been a great comfort to me.

And upon a view and strict observation of his serious and savoury conversation, his christian temper, and unblemished behaviour for so considerable a time, as well as his experience I have given an account of, I think that I have reason to hope that he is "created anew in Christ Jesus to good works." – His name is Moses Tinda Tauta-my; he is about fifty years of age, and is pretty well acquainted with the pagan notions and customs of his countrymen, and so is the better able now to expose them. He has, I am persuaded, already been, and I trust will yet be, a blessing to the other Indians.

Quote:
Three days later here’s the entry:

July 26 – Preached to my people, and afterwards baptized my interpreters children (the man mentioned above)

Quote:
This man’s whole house was saved!

2011/3/17 22:19Profile
MeriBeth

Atlanta

As I was looking for another sermon to listen to today your topic caught my eye! This is definitely one for you to pursue! You will know a person by his fruit. How humble they are. Have they been broken? I would not look at the gifts. I am learning the key is Pray, Obey and Wait!

A few Key verses:
Romans 12:1
"I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies
a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is in your spiritual service of worship."

Romans 2:4
" Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and
patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to Repentance?"

Matthew 3: 11
"As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Luke 3:16

Listen to Ravenhill's sermon on Baptism of fire (In his biography it states he used the terms baptism, filling or outpouring interchangeably... and anointing)
You can go to Topic(left hand side of home page) and search or use link below

http://media.sermonindex.net/19/SID19678.mp3

In " Why Revival Tarries" Leonard Ravenhill says:

"Some Christians cannot say when they were saved. But they never knew a man yet who was baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire who was unable to say when it happened. Such Spirit-filled men shake nations for God, like Wesley
who was born of the Spirit, filled with the Spirit, and lived and walked in the Spirit."

2011/3/17 22:51Profile
MeriBeth

Atlanta

As I was looking for another sermon to listen to today your topic caught my eye! This is definitely one for you to pursue! You will know a person by his fruit. How humble they are. Have they been broken? I would not look at the gifts. I am learning the key is Pray, Obey and Wait!

A few Key verses:
Romans 12:1
"I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies
a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is in your spiritual service of worship."

Romans 2:4
" Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and
patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to Repentance?"

Matthew 3: 11
"As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Luke 3:16

Listen to Ravenhill's sermon on Baptism of fire (In his biography it states he used the terms baptism, filling or outpouring interchangeably... and anointing)
You can go to Topic(left hand side of home page) and search or use link below

http://media.sermonindex.net/19/SID19678.mp3

In " Why Revival Tarries" Leonard Ravenhill says:

"Some Christians cannot say when they were saved. But they never knew a man yet who was baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire who was unable to say when it happened. Such Spirit-filled men shake nations for God, like Wesley
who was born of the Spirit, filled with the Spirit, and lived and walked in the Spirit."

2011/3/17 22:55Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Recently I heard some people talking about the baptism of fire. I never really heard anything about this and don't have any idea what this is. Can anyone explain what this is and where Scripture talks about this?

It is clear that John baptized with water but he also foretold two baptisms with his words that One was coming who would also baptize us with the Holy Spirit and with fire:

Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: HE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH THE HOLY GHOST, AND WITH FIRE:

Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: HE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH THE HOLY GHOST AND WITH FIRE:

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

They went to the upper room and came down changed! I like Meribeth's quote from Leonard Ravenhill about a person knowing when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire!! God wants to prepare His people to be an army, not to fight other people, but to be powerful enough to fight our adversary, the devil and his minions and to be an overcomer!

God bless you in your search,
Lisa

2011/3/18 6:05Profile

Re: Baotid

N

2011/3/26 13:14

Re: Baptism of fire

Jesus does say that he cane to bring fire on the earth in Luke 12:49. In Acts 2:3 they saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that came to rest on each one of them. This suggest that the baptism of fire could be the baptism of the Spirit. But then what is the baptism of the Spirit? I am sorry my sister. More questions then answers.

2011/3/26 13:25
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Recently I heard some people talking about the baptism of fire. I never really heard anything about this and don't have any idea what this is. Can anyone explain what this is and where Scripture talks about this

Well this probably isn't what your friends were talking about but for a truly insightful discourse on the baptism of fire I would suggest a series of articles from TA Sparks' magazine A Witness and a Testimony. The series of four articles is titled The Cup and the Fire. Here is a taste from the first article...

"I have a baptism to be baptized with ...". "Are ye able to drink the cup that I drink? or to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" (Mark 10:33). What the Lord was really saying, in other words, was this: 'I have a cup to drink; and, until I have drunk it, that very purpose for which I have come is in suspense. I have come to scatter fire into the earth.' The two things go together.

We shall perhaps see later the fire scattered. You see, we are all very interested in the scattering of the fire -- put that how you will: if you like, the progress of the Gospel, the extension of the Kingdom, the salvation of souls, the expansion of testimony. It is all the same thing; it is the scattering of the fire. The earth has got to feel the touch of something from Christ -- to register something burning, something living, something consuming, something against which it cannot stand. 'I am come to scatter fire in the earth.'

You can find these articles at austin-sparks.net

The Cup And The Fire
(1) -- The Relationship Between The Cup And The Scattered Fire
(2) -- The Conflict Of The Ages
(3) -- The Positive Nature Of The Holy Spirit
(4) -- The Testing Of The Fire

2011/3/26 16:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy