SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : pre-Solomon 'temple of the Lord'?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

pre-Solomon 'temple of the Lord'?

I came across this verse, and realised Samuel anointed David to whom God gave the pattern of the Temple which Solomon built.

Please could someone explain what was it at Shiloh?

Thanks!

1 Samuel 1:9
So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the TEMPLE of the LORD.

2011/3/16 10:32
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: pre-Solomon 'temple of the Lord'?

It is quite clear that Solomon's was the first permanent temple building. Before this it was the tabernacle that ended up in Shiloh in the days of Eli.

What is interesting is that the word 'temple' is used here rather than tabernacle (although in the NKJV it translates it 'taberancle'). I checked it out and is definitely the hebrew word for 'temple' that is is used and not tabernacle, so why? I can only think that this refers to the fact that although it was still a tent (tabernacle), Shiloh had become it's 'permanent' resting place and as such became considered the 'place of God' or His temple.

2011/3/16 11:38Profile

The Tabernacle..[ Holy Tent ] was set up at Shiloh....and the Holy Place; the place where the Ark was, and the Shekinah Glory...was the Temple.

1 Samuel 3:21
The LORD continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he ...

... And the LORD appeared again at Shiloh, for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the LORD. ...

and..Gill in his commentary says about "TEMPLE".

Where the ark of God was; that is, in the temple or tabernacle; though not in that part of it where the lamps were burning in the candlestick.

This was was in the holy place; but the ark was in the Holy of Holies, where the Lord dwelt, and was the symbol of His presence; and......

"which is observed to point out the place from whence the voice came."..Gill

"and a voice was heard out of the temple of the Lord, where the ark of the Lord was."

In essence, the temple word is clearly speaking about the Holy of Holies...the core of all worship.

2011/3/16 11:54

Thanks HeyDave and Brothertom for looking into this and replying.

It is an interesting picture - 'a post of the temple of the Lord' - which speaks of many things; the cross, the pillar which witnessed things in the later Temple, and the place of the cross in enabling us as priests to become pillars in the temple made without hands. My thoughts are racing. It always seemed amazing there was enough straight wood to prepare the Tabernacle in the wilderness.

I wonder who wrote Samuel?

2011/3/16 12:23

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy