SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Let The Lower Lights Be Burning - Philip P. Bliss

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Let The Lower Lights Be Burning - Philip P. Bliss

Let The Lower Lights Be Burning
Philip P. Bliss, 1871

Brightly beams our Father's mercy
From his lighthouse evermore,
But to us he gives the keeping
Of the lights along the shore.

Let the lower lights be burning,
Send a gleam across the wave!
Some poor fainting struggling seaman,
You may rescue, you may save.

Dark the night of sin has settled,
Loud the angry billows roar;
Eager eyes are watching, longing,
For the lights along the shore.

Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
Some poor sailor tempest tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor,
In the darkness may be lost.

This famous hymn was written by Philip Bliss over a century ago. He was inspired by a sermon he heard while living in Chicago. In that sermon, the preacher talked about a ship that was trying to find Cleveland harbor in the midst of a storm at night.

The captain could see the lighthouse. As he drew near, he shouted to the lighthouse keeper, "Is this Cleveland?" The lighthouse keeper shouted back, "Quite true, sir." The captain asked, "Where are the lower lights?" The lighthouse keeper said, "They have gone out. Can you make the harbor?" The captain replied, "We must, or we will perish!"

With that he sailed his ship into the harbor, passed the lighthouse, missed the channel, and was dashed against the rocks. It was a terrible tragedy. Many people were killed.

The preacher brought that story home with these words. He said, "Brothers and sisters, the Master will take care of the lighthouse. Let us keep the lower lights burning."

I was never sure what "lower lights" were. I thought many times about the phrase in the hymn, "Let the lower lights be burning." Well, the lower lights are the lights away from the lighthouse that illumine the water line. They're the various lights from our windows that enable vessels to come into the harbor at night, through a narrow channel of the harbor's mouth.

Do you shine a light for the world to see?

2011/3/9 10:19Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: Let The Lower Lights Be Burning

Thank you for posting this. The song had not come to mind for some time, but it is such a wonderful picture of our part in displaying His glory - lesser though it be.

We are indeed the lower lights of the world

makrothumia

2011/3/9 10:53Profile
HeartSong

Re: Let The Lower Lights Be Burning

Here is Carter Conlon singing this hymn. It starts just before the 43:00 minute mark.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=980

2011/3/9 15:40Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re:

He actually has this song recorded with the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra in the album Day by Day. It's song number 11.

http://www.tscnyc.org/music/recordings.php?r=3

2011/3/9 17:48Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Thank you for this. But has anyone listened to the prayer after the song he sang? It was one of the most powerful prayers I think I have ever heard. It touched into my soul. I thought I was going to be blessed with a song but I had to stop everything when he began to pray - it became my prayer as well.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=980 about at the 50 mark.

Let this be our prayer today. All glory, praises & worship to Him.

2011/3/10 11:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy