SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why were the commands of the Old Testament so specific?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bobmcd510

Why were the commands of the Old Testament so specific?

Hi,

I was just reading through Exodus 12 and I was struck by how specific the Israelites had to do certain things that God commanded. I know that Leviticus is a book dedicated to things like that.

I understand that these things were prophetic and represent many new covenant truths, especially the fact that man cannot come anywhere close to God's standard by his own effort. Is there any other reason why God was so specific with the law or is that the main idea?

Thanks

2011/3/4 14:53Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Why were the commands of the Old Testament so specific?

I think that you are on the right track, it deals with self-effort and flesh vs. spirit.

Especially in Leviticus, you will read over and over again the word "commanded". Nothing was left to chance, the building of the tabernacle, the ordination of the priests, how they should serve, all of it. We must worship God in God's way.

I believe this teaches us today to constantly ask, "what does the Bible say?" God hasn't left us in the dark but if we substitute our own ideas for God's word we will be in darkness. We need leaders like Moses who will spend time "on the mount" to get the heavenly pattern.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/3/4 19:49Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Good thoughts Ron.

2011/3/4 21:52Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

1.) LOVE: The Law, in all of its nuance and extremity, is summed up by loving God and loving your neighbors. (Matthew 22:37-40) In the time which the law was given, many laws were given to the theocracy Israel in order that through that given law, they may at least envision the nature of love. Love does not let his bull gore his neighbors bull and not pay for it. Selfishness does that. Love does not commit adultery, or expose the nakedness of family members. Love from Yahweh does not look like the idolatry of the surrounding nations, so seething a kid in its mothers milk like the pagans is not to be practiced. Love from God is otherworldly.

A loving slave-owner does not deal harshly or bitterly with his slaves but treats them justly and with kindness. A loving priest of his home and his people does not mark himself with a remembrance of the dead like the pagan priests. These people, in a national sense, were called to be completely different than all the other nations around them. The specificity of the law in many cases certainly seems...strange (for lack of a better word) to us in our day, but we forget how novel these concepts were when they were given. Imagine, a nation, called out of slavery, and shown how to love one another!

2.) SPECIFICITY: The specificity of the sacrificial system was essential, not just for Israel, but for the whole world. An "unblemished sheep," (Leviticus 22:20-22) spoke of the lamb that was to come and "take away the sin of the world." In Israel, through the specificity of its national, priestly worship, we saw looming pictures of our sin, and sin's solution. All these things were "shadows" (Hebrews 8:5, 10:1)

3.) SIN: Romans 7:13 says: "Has then what is good become death to me? (Speaking of the law.) Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful." In other words, the Law...was a driving factor. Its greatest work is that it is a goad toward the true sacrificial lamb. It drives us to need Christ, that we may, through his Spirit...possess the very love which the law describes.

4.) KNOWLEDGE OF SIN: Romans 7:7, "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet." Paul here confesses (though he is referring to the Decalogue and not the the Mosaic law) that the law showed him something he never would have understood about his own selfishness. The specificity of the law has an exposing capacity. It is like a mirror, reflecting the light, or lack thereof (mostly, if not all, the latter)of the humans heart. It would seem to me that a great deal of the Mosaic National law did this.

5.) Exodus 12: In the passage you mentioned, the feast of unleavened bread was to be a cultural legacy of remembrance. This nation was to have, coded into its culture, celebrations to honor and remember what it was that God had done. I imagine the particulars were visual representations, knowing the human mind he created, to sear these truths into the minds of many many consecutive generations of people. I watched a documentary the other day about how Bards that traveled around the city-states of Greece made their living reciting millions of lines of poetry from memory. It is amazing what God has created us to do that we no longer do in our modern world because of convenience.

6.) I like what Ron said as well, Our God is the maker of this universe, and in his universe there are many laws governing and driving its functionality at any given moment. He is the God who knows all, and forms all into his design. He is the God who says..."Make it according to the pattern!" Exactly! Man must not diminish, nor make diminutive each and every word that comes from the mouth of God, for by his commands come life. What may seem tedious to man, may have a much farther reaching, excellent meaning than we can grasp at first glance. As a matter of fact, the whole word of God is written this way. It is written in such a fashion as to reward those who are diligent to study its exactitudes, and does not reward the slothful agent.

These are just a few thoughts I had when I read your question Bob. God Bless.

2011/3/4 22:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Of course all one can say is mere speculation...but several years ago I felt inspired to read/study Numbers. As I read through that book, I was so impressed about how God was so detailed in his commands. Then the realization came to me that God is very much interested in the details of life, our life in how we do things. That interest has never abated. Even the smallest detail does not escape his notice.

This principle of God being interested in the smallest detail can also be seen in the composition of matter: the atoms - so small human eyes cannot see it but God can - he made them. Is there a possibility that I as one small human in this entire universe compares in size to an atom? I think so.

God is awesome....

2011/3/4 23:10Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Well I enjoy a good application of things but the simplest answer I can give is this.

Israel just came out of Egypt there were approximately 1 to 2 millions Israelites. God had to be specific because He had to lead them all through the desert. Wouldn't it have been something to see that Exodus of people how disorganized and chaotic everything would have been? There had to be order and in order to get everyone on the same page commands had to be specific so there was no question as to what God meant.

We also see the Ark of the Covenant in the middle of the marching people with the Levites surrounding the Ark, This was a beautiful picture of the Holiness of God and a community/Nation connected to that Holy God.

The building plans of the Tent of meeting and such were so specific also for the same reasons, Ever look at a blue print? that thing is chalk loaded with information just in picture form, if you were to write out the instruction of a blueprint by words alone you would have a heafty list of instructions to write up. I guess it all goes to show that our God is a God of order as oppose to the Israelites when they first left Egypt in a chaotic state.

Hope this helps

God Bless,
Matthew

2011/3/5 1:44Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

Thanks everyone for your responses, I've been blessed by each one. There are some very good things for me to think about and consider, and especially the fact that God does have purpose in every little detail.

Thanks

2011/3/6 12:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy