Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Those Dead That Came Back to Life

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheeOx

Wisconsin

Those Dead That Came Back to Life

Hi all,

The Bible says that when Jesus died, many things happened, one such instance - many of the Dead arose and came out of their tombs.
Does anyone know what happened to those risen dead as time went on?

Thanks so much,
Thee

2011/3/1 14:55Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Those Dead That Came Back to Life

Hi Thee,

I think we have to distinguish between being 'raised from the dead' and the first and second resurrection (John 5:29). The Greek word for resurrection is ἀνάστασιν (anastasin) and is used exclusively of the final resurrections of the dead. The word for 'arose' is ἠγέρθη (egerthe) and is a simpler concept that may or may not infer ultimate resurrection.

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, (Matthew 27:52)

Though these had been raised, they were still dressed in mortality. Only Jesus Christ, the first fruits of the resurrection, has put on His glorified immortal body.

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. (Romans 8:22,23)

You will notice that 'the whole creation' and 'ourselves also' wait for the redemption of our body. This is a future event. There were some (Philetus, etc) in the first century that erred and overthrew the faith of some by saying the resurrection had already passed (2 Timothy 2:18). We know then that the resurrection is an eschatological event (end thing). That said, it would be impossible for anyone to have 'put on immortality' other than Christ. (see 1 Cor 15:53ff)

So we see then that though many have been 'raised' from the dead, even in the Old Testament, the sense in which they are raised in not resurrection. Therefore they would have died of natural causes, accidents, etc. just as everyone else. Lazarus died again as well as the young girl that Jesus raised. Again, it is because they were merely 'raised' they were not transformed and given their glorified immortal body. That will happen in the end.

2011/3/1 18:37Profile
staff

Hi TheeOx,
Are you talking about the dead that appeared on the day of Christs Crucifixion?
Matt 27
52 The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
This is my understanding.
These were old testament saints just resurrected who were in a place called paradise or abrahams bosom.This is what is meant when it says... he lead captivity captive.They were in a good place when they died but still waiting for christ to bring them to heaven.So these holy people didnt live again on earth but were resurected when Christ died on the Cross.
When Jesus died on the Cross he said to the thief that he would be with him in paradise that day,but we know that it Christ was resurected three days later so paradise must have not been in heaven but if you like a good compartment of hell,
I hope that helps but maybe I answered the wrong question,Staff

2011/3/1 19:03Profile
TheeOx

Wisconsin

Thanks so much for your time and answers everyone!

Yer Pal,
Thee

2011/3/2 7:31Profile

Hi Robert,

I am quite comforted by your reply in this thread, as you may know I'd raised a question about this in staff's trib thread currently on p23. I have one question with regard to your last paragraph.

If these people who were raised, were centuries away from their families - or if whole families were raised - where did they go? Where did they live until they died again?

I had assumed that they returned to their graves, and perhaps, because now Christ was alive, the 'Abraham's bosom' scenario had been changed for the rest of eternity, to 'falling asleep in Christ'.

Hebrews 11:16 But now they desire a better [country], that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.... 40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Thoughts?

2011/3/2 7:48

Re:

Quote:
If these people who were raised, were centuries away from their families - or if whole families were raised - where did they go? Where did they live until they died again?

This exact question came to mind for the first time when I was reading this thread. I'd also like to know your guys' opinions on this one.

Pretty fascinating stuff.

2011/3/2 9:13
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

If it was important for us to know, I believe it would be in the Bible.

As for the question about where did they go, what did they do. . . 'all things are possible with God.' If I were to think on this, I would consider that anything they did was for God's Glory and Praise, as with where they went, they would go where He sent them.

It is an interesting thing but not as important for me to study as learning how to control my tongue (that is a life's work).

Kind regards,
white stone

2011/3/2 9:48Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I had assumed that they returned to their graves, and perhaps, because now Christ was alive, the 'Abraham's bosom' scenario had been changed for the rest of eternity, to 'falling asleep in Christ'.

Good question. As with teachings that deal with demons, angels, etc., we are only given information as is sufficiently necessary. We cannot know beyond what is written, but are left to worship. Some things God has intentionally drawn the vail over against. I would be inclined to think that the raising event was temporary in nature, as it was a great 'sign' among the rest denoting the severity of the crucifixion event. It also would have cast doubt on the belief of the Sadducees that there is 'no resurrection', etc. Many more things we could say, but I think we are in the realm of speculation all together. We simply don't know who they were specifically, or what happened to them. We know the possibilities, but can't say for sure. I would just say that I would oppose the view that they were 'resurrected' unto immortality as I believe this is reserved for the first and second resurrection.

2011/3/2 11:36Profile
staff

Re:

Hi thee ox,
maybe i took you up wrong what particular scripture were you talking about?
yours staff

2011/3/2 18:51Profile
staff

Re:

Hi RobertW,
Just a few points on the scripture below,
1.We do know that the people here are dead saints.
2.The veil rent is a permanent event and it is unlikely the consequences are temporary.
3.If the event was permanent it would have had the same effect on the sadducees as well.
4Our views on when resurrections happen filter back and glaze over our view of other scripture,We look through the lens of our resurection view if we are not careful,instead of looking at what actually is being said.

51 And, behold , the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake , and the rocks rent ; 52 And the graves were opened ; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose , 53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. 54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done , they feared greatly, saying , Truly this was the Son of God.
Thanks Staff

2011/3/3 6:55Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy