SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : For the Hurting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread

Re:

Taken from "The Quotable Oswald Chambers"
Discovery House Publishers - RBC Ministries - 2008
[Book of Topical Quotes.]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

SELF-PITY

You cannot be too severe with self-pity in yourself or in others. Be more merciless with yourself than you are with others.
Disciples Indeed, 411 L

You could never awaken self-pity in the Apostle Paul; you might starve him or imprison him, but you could never knock out of him that uncrushable gaiety and certainty of God.
He Shall Glorify Me, 510 R

Why our Lord said that self-pity was of the devil is that self-pity will prevent us appreciating God’s deliverance. When we begin to say “Why has this happened to me?” “Why does poverty begin to come to me?” “Why should this difficulty come, this upset?” it means that we are more concerned about getting our own way than in esteeming the marvellous deliverance God has wrought. We read of God’s people of old that “They soon forgot His works,” and we are in danger of doing the same unless we continually lift up our eyes to God and bless Him for His deliverances.
The Highest Good—The Pilgrim’s Song Book, 533 R

Self-pity is taking the wrong standpoint, and if self-pity is indulged in, before long we will take part in the decaying thing instead of in that which grows more and more into the glory of God’s presence.
The Love of God—The Message of Invincible Consolation, 671 R

What does it matter if external circumstances are hard? Why should they not be! If we give way to self-pity and indulge in the luxury of misery, we banish God’s riches from our own lives and hinder others from entering into His provision. No sin is worse than the sin of self-pity, because it obliterates God and puts self-interest upon the throne.
My Utmost for His Highest, May 16, 781 L

2011/3/20 10:25
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 10:27-30 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.

We can't even take ourselves out of His hands. There is one that would like us to think we can, that he might destroy our witness for Him that gave His life for ours.

I have been there, done that; believe I am lost. But the scripture keeps screaming out, you are mine and I will never loose you, I paid the price. Yes Jesus is real and He is in me and will never leave me. Paul says we are perfect in His life that is in us. I am His and He is mine. There is no other life I can claim, for He has claimed I am HIS. This is my glory, not what I think or feel, but what God has said and done, that is the only real in my life.

Colossians 1:25-29 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

From Paul and every one else that is in Christ and knows that the only life we have is the Christ Life in us.

In Christ, whom I cannot leave: Phillip

2011/3/20 12:02Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re: For the Hurting

Oh for a stronger word than amen! What a pearl of an article!

2011/3/20 23:01Profile

Re: For the Hurting ~

Bless you & Good to see you Zionshield!

"DISASTER"

There are people to-day who are going through an onslaught of destruction that paralyses all our platitudes and preaching; the only thing that will bring relief is the consolations of Christ. It is a good thing to feel our own powerlessness in the face of destruction; it makes us know how much we depend upon God.

Baffled to Fight Better, 47 R

The greatest demand God makes of us is to believe that He is righteous when everything that happens goes against that faith.

God’s Workmanship, 428 L

Wrong things happen actually because things are wrong really. One of the dangers of fanaticism is to accept disaster as God’s appointment, as part of His design. It is not God’s design, but His permissive will. There is a vital moral difference between God’s order and His permissive will. God’s order is—no sin, no Satan, no sickness, no limitations.… Then comes the permissive will of God—sin, Satan, difficulty, wrong and evil, and when desolation and disaster strike a man there is a wicked sting at the heart of it, and if he does not allow for the real thing behind it all he is a fool. We have to grasp God’s order through His permissive will.

Baffled to Fight Better, 48 R

The slander of men is against God when disasters occur. If you have never felt inclined to call God cruel and hard, it is a question whether you have ever faced any problems at all.

Conformed to His Image, 376 L

The greatest challenge to a Christian is to believe Matthew 28:18—“All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth.” How many of us get into a panic when we are faced by physical desolation, by death, or war, injustice, poverty, disease? All these in all their force will never turn to panic the one who believes in the absolute sovereignty of his Lord.

Disciples Indeed, 386 R

In a time of calamity God appears to pay scant courtesy to all our art and culture, He sweeps the whole thing aside till civilisation rages at Him. It is the babe and the fool who get through in the day of God’s visitation.

Disciples Indeed, 389 R

There are disasters to be faced by the one who is in real fellowship with the Lord Jesus Christ. God has never promised to keep us immune from trouble; He says “I will be with him in trouble,” which is a very different thing.

The Place of Help, 997 L

[Chambers, Oswald ; McCasland, Dave: The Quotable Oswald Chambers. Grand Rapids, MI : Discovery House Publishers, 2008, S. 76]

~*~

Romans 8:28-29 And we know that ALL THINGS work together for good to them that love GOD, to them who are the called according to His purpose, for whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

2011/3/26 16:11

Toward Freedom

THE EXPERIENCE OF A MIXED SOUL AND SPIRIT

We do not mean to imply that soulish believers experience nothing except what belongs to the soul; though saints of this type are plentiful. Soulish ones do enjoy some spiritual experiences. Those however are rather mixed with the soulical mingling with the spiritual. These believers are acquainted with the outline of a spiritual walk because the Holy Spirit has led them so to do. But due to many hindrances they frequently fall back upon natural energy to supply strength for their living, expecting to fulfill the holy requirements of God by their flesh. These follow their desires and ideas and seek sensual pleasure and mental wisdom. While they may be spiritual in knowledge, in point of fact they are soulish. The Holy Spirit genuinely dwells in their spirit and has accorded them the experience of conquering sin through the operation of the cross. But He is not allowed to lead their lives. While some may be ignorant of the law of the Spirit many others may love their soul life just too much to give it up.

Now spirit and soul are easy to distinguish in experience. Spiritual life is maintained simply by heeding the direction of the spirit's intuition. If a believer walks according to God's Spirit be will not originate or regulate anything; he will instead wait quietly for the voice of the Holy Spirit to be heard in his spirit intuitively and assume for himself the position of a subordinate. Upon hearing the inner voice he rises up to work, obeying the direction of intuition. By so walking the believer remains a steadfast follower. The Holy Spirit alone is the Originator. Moreover he is not self-dependent. He does not employ his prowess in executing God's will. Whenever action is required the believer approaches God intently-fully conscious of his weakness-and petitions God to give him a promise. Having received God's promise he then acts, counting the power of the Holy Spirit as his. In an attitude such as this God will surely grant power according to His Word.

Precisely the opposite is the soulish life. Self is the center here. When a Christian is said to be soulish he is walking according to self. Everything originates from himself. He is governed not by the voice of the Holy Spirit in the inner man but rather by the thoughts, decisions and desires of his outer man. Even his feeling of joy arises from having his own wishes satisfied. It will be recalled that the body was said to be the shell of the soul, which in turn forms the sheath of the spirit. As the Holy Place is outside the Holy of Holies so the soul is outside the spirit. In such intimate proximity how easy it is for the spirit to be influenced by the soul. The soul has indeed been delivered from the tyranny of the body; it is controlled no longer by the lusts of the flesh; but a similar separation of the spirit from the control of the soul has not yet occurred in the soulish Christian. Before the believer had overcome his fleshly lusts his soul had been joint-partner with his body. They together constituted one enormous life, the other nature. As it was with soul and body so is it now with his spirit and his soul. The spirit is merged with the soul. The former provides the power while the latter gives the idea, with the result that his spirit is too often affected by his soul.

Because it is surrounded by the soul (even buried therein), the spirit is stimulated easily by the mind. A born again person ought to possess unspeakable peace in the spirit. Unfortunately this tranquillity is disturbed by the stimulating lust from the soul with its numerous independent desires and thoughts. Sometimes the joy which floods the soul overflows into the spirit, inducing the believer to think he is the happiest person in the world; at other times sorrow pervades and he becomes the most unhappy person. A soulish Christian frequently encounters such experiences. This is because the spirit and the soul remain undivided. They need to be split asunder.

When such believers bear some teaching on the division of spirit and soul, they would like very much to know where their spirit is. They may search diligently, but they are unable to sense the presence of their spirit. Without any real experience there, they naturally are at a loss how to distinguish their spirits from their souls. Since these two are so closely linked it is common for them to treat soulish experiences (such as joy, vision, love, etc.) as superlative spiritual ones.

Before a saint arrives at the stage of spirituality he is sure to be dwelling in a mixed condition. Not content with a quietude in his spirit, he will seek a joyous feeling. In his daily living the believer sometimes will follow the leading of intuitive knowledge and sometimes his thought, sensation or wish. Such a mixture of spirit and soul reveals that two antithetical sources reside in the believer: one belongs to God, one belongs to man: one is of the Spirit, the other is of himself: one is intuitive, the other rational: one is supernatural, the other natural: one belongs to the spirit, the other belongs to the soul. If the child of God carefully examines himself beneath the beam of God's light, he will perceive the two kinds of power within him. He likewise will recognize that sometimes he lives by the one life and at other times by the other. On the one hand he knows he must walk in faith by trusting in the Holy Spirit; on the other hand, he reverts to walking according to himself on the basis of what he terms spiritual feelings. He lives far more in the soul than in the spirit. The degree of his soulishness varies according to (1) his understanding of the spirit life with its principle of cooperating with God and (2) his actual yielding to the soul life. He can live entirely in an emotional, idea ideational or activist world, or he can even live alternately by his soul and by his spirit. Unless he is instructed by God through the revelation of the Holy Spirit in his spirit, he shall be unable to abhor the soulish life and to love the spirit life. Whichever life he chooses determines the path he shall follow.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=1943

2011/4/27 11:59

Re: For the Hurting ~

How to be Inexpressibly Happy ~ Torrey

I have here a beautiful text, a text that you all know, but I wonder how many of you have ever pondered it enough to take in all its wonderful wealth of meaning.

A young woman in England many years ago always wore a golden locket that she would not allow anyone to open or look into, and everyone thought there must be some romance connected with that locket and that in that locket must be the picture of the one she loved. The young woman died at an early age, and after her death the locket was opened, everyone wondering whose face he would find within. And in the locket was found simply a little slip of paper with these words written upon it, "Though I have not seen Him, I love." Her Lord Jesus was the only lover she knew and the only lover she longed for, and she had gone to be with Him, the one object of her whole heart's devotion, the unseen but beloved Savior.

But it is to the last part of the verse that I wish to call your particular attention tonight, "Even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy."

This text informs us (and many of us do not need to be informed of it, for we know it by blessed experience) that one who really believes on Jesus Christ, our unseen, but ever living Lord and Savior, rejoices with "inexpressible and glorious joy." The Greek word translated "joy" is a very strong word, describing extreme joy or jubilant joy. The word "inexpressible" declares that this jubilant joy is of such a character that we cannot, by any possibility, explain it adequately to others. Everyone who really believes on the Lord Jesus does rejoice with an jubilant joy that is beyond all description. And those who do truly believe on the Lord Jesus Christ are the only ones who rejoice this way. Others may have a certain amount of joy, a certain measure of gladness, but the only people who really know "inexpressible and glorious joy" are those who really believe on Jesus Christ.

Who is there among us who does not wish to be happy?
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=2000

2011/5/10 3:03
ManofGod0000

Re:

brothers and sisters,

I still hurt and feel very blah everyday, but now i somewhat understand that God is pruning and moving me into complete reliance on him and no longer on my flesh.

Thats just what I can make out at this point

2011/5/10 10:40Profile

Re:

Happy to see you posting ManofGOD. I understand "blah" and was beginning to sense that "Joy" - that beautiful by-product of Knowing Him was being attacked by unhealthy doses of other's exaltation of something over Who He Is.
I read yesterday's devotionals on here and began to smile again.

THE JOY OF THE LORD 'IS' OUR STRENGTH, so of course "an attack" would have that purpose of 'stealing' that Joy that He has poured into our hearts, that Torrey speaks about in that message here.

I read it and laughed in a number of places because Torrey was a jolly ol' soul but took everything seriously at the same time. That's the beauty of Torrey and the beauty of what our walks should be.

The more we get our eyes off those things around us and unto Him - the Author and finisher of our faith - there's Joy.
As Torrey said - just Knowing we're forgiven - there's Joy.
Great Joy!
Just looking up into the sky, knowing He's up there waiting for us - there's that expectant Joy.

I learned a bit through this of late. If it robs that Joy - I now know 'where' it's coming from.
When HE is Glorified - there's Joy - even in the midst of tribulation or persecution, whatever!
Pray with Thanksgiving, He said and that's so True.
Even when we go into burdens for others - praying with Thanksgiving keeps the depression away from carrying a burden.

I'm grateful for The LORD opening my eyes to see what the enemy was trying to do of late - to rob the Joy of our Salvation - because he knows that "The Joy of The LORD 'is' our strength" and when he can rob our Joy - he can control people much easier. We become sort of shell-shock without Joy and the shell-shocked can be "controlled" easier - that's how Cults work.

So, we are FREE INDEED and I'm rejoicing again today for the Joy of our Salvation and for WHO He is. And for Torrey's message - for The JOY of The LORD IS our Strength.

Oh Victory in Jesus ~ our Saviour Forever ~ He sought us and He bought us ~ with His Redeeming Blood ~ Amen! :)

If you find any good messages on JOY - please feel free to post them here. I'm just wanting to say that there is POWER in that JOY that is From Him and nothing should ever rob that from us in order to weaken us in Any way.

Bless GOD and GOD Bless you!

1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

1Pe 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

1Pe 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

*1Pe 1:8* Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Glory!!

2011/5/10 12:31

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy