SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What If Your Reputation Is Unjustly Bad? by John Piper

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 What If Your Reputation Is Unjustly Bad? by John Piper

[Jesus] told a parable to those who were invited, when he noticed how they chose the places of honor, saying to them, “When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in a place of honor, lest someone more distinguished than you be invited by him, and he who invited you both will come and say to you, ‘Give your place to this person,’ and then you will begin with shame to take the lowest place. But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when your host comes he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at table with you. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. (Luke 14:7–11)

Jesus says it is better to be thought worse than you are, and then be publicly vindicated, than to be thought better than you are and then be publicly humiliated.

Yes, but what if you take the lowest seat and no one comes to invite you to the front? What if your reputation in this world is always worse among men than it is with God? What if your life is one continual false accusation (Matthew 5:11)? “We are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered” (Psalm 44:22; Romans 8:36). “We have become like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things” (1 Corinthians 4:13).

This parable does not promise that people will always come through for you. They won’t. Some will think you worse than you are till the day you die.

What this parable ultimately promises is that at the final wedding feast, Jesus himself will set things right. Your reputation will be vindicated. Truth will come out. The whole universe will know if your reputation was wrong.

So here’s the life-changing truth: It is better to be thought worse than you are now, and have the Lord set things right in the last day, than to be thought better than you are now, only to have Jesus put you in your place in the end.

In other words, don’t care much about whether your family and friends and acquaintances and enemies know what you are really like. Be true, be real, be humble, and let the Lord settle the matter in the end. In that day, the price of taking the lower place will be seen to be very small.

2011/2/19 15:40Profile
Compton

Re: What If Your Reputation Is Unjustly Bad? by John Piper

Good article. Thanks Greg.

2011/2/19 20:15Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

wow.

2011/2/19 22:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

It is better to be 100% honest now with yourself and with the roots of sin in your life then hide it until that soon coming day. Lord deal with Lust, Love of Money, Fear of Man, Pride, Selfish Ambition in my life. I am not content until the root of your Holy Spirit's power deals a death blow to these things in my life.

Lord I want to be 100% fruitful up to the place where you want me in life at this point. Lord let me not hinder your work in anyway but any area of disobedience through not flagrant to others but deep in the heart tucked away. Uproot them Lord by your blood and Cross. Do a work so that men may praise the Father in heaven by the good works that will come from my life. I pray this in Jesus Name and for your Glory Alone God.

2011/2/19 23:19Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

God only gives grace to the humble...

2011/2/20 0:32Profile
Giggles

Good article, reminded me of Bro Washer's words:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=92

2011/2/20 1:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Timely article. It touches on an area I have to deal with: wanting to be immensely popular. But you know what? when a body works to do so, he is allowing popular opinion to become his god and that is idolatry!

Thanks for sharing, Greg.

2011/2/20 8:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy