SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : To wrestle or not to wrestle

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

To wrestle or not to wrestle

Me: The young man was 35-4 this year in his 112 pound class wrestling matches and was expected to go all the way in the state tournament. The lady, one of two ladies to be the first to reach the tournament in 85 years, was 20-13 this year in her contests. The young man said no to his match with her in the first round.

Iowa Teen Refuses to Wrestle Girl, Citing Faith
CBNNews
Friday, February 18, 2011

An Iowa high school wrestler forfeited his chance to become a state champion when he refused to compete against a female contender in the state tournament.Home-schooled sophomore Joel Northrup (35-4) said his decision to default on his match with Cassy Herkelman (20-13) was based on his conscience and his faith.

"As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner," Northrup said in a statement released Thursday by Scott Mahmens, athletics director at Linn-Mar High School in Marion, Iowa.

"It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa," the teen added.

Jamie Northrup, the boy's father, is a Pentecostal minister. He said the family knew ahead of time who his son would be wrestling against and left the decision up to him.

"There's certainly no scriptures that address this and nothing doctrinal or church based," the elder Northrup said. "I just believe this is a principled decision."
"Joel believes, based on his conscience and faith, that girls should be treated with dignity and respect--taking nothing away from those two female athletes -- but wrestling is a combat sport," he explained.

Joel Northrup will be allowed to compete in consolation rounds, giving him a chance for a third place win.

2011/2/18 21:27Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: To wrestle or not to wrestle

For all of us with daughters, here is a sign that there are still young men out there with honor. May God bless him.

Ruf

2011/2/19 11:03Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

How sad that those two girls do not have the same faith.

2011/2/20 12:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy