Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Wesley’s Rules for Preachers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Wesley’s Rules for Preachers

John Wesley (1703-1791) is known as one of the greatest preachers and leaders in church history. His approach to integrity in even the smallest details led to the naming of the movement he founded now known as the Methodist Church. Even though he ministered over 200 years ago, it’s amazing how relevant and powerful his advice still rings today for church leaders. Each of his rules remind of the great responsibility we hold as leaders of God’s people and how we should honor God with all that we do, big or small.

1. Be diligent. Never be unemployed. Never be triflingly employed. Never while away time, nor spend more time at any place than is strictly necessary.

2. Be serious. Let your motto be, ‘Holiness to the Lord.’ Avoid all lightness, jesting, and foolish talking.

3. Converse sparingly and cautiously with women, particularly with young women.

4. Take no step towards marriage without solemn prayer to God and consulting with your brethren.

5. Believe evil of no one unless fully proved; take heed how you credit it. Put the best construction you can on everything. You know the judge is always sup posed to be on the prisoner’s side.

6. Speak evil of no one, else your word, especially, would eat as doth a canker; keep your thoughts within your own breast till you come to the person concerned.

7. Tell every one what you think wrong in him, lovingly and plainly, and as soon as may be, else it will fester in your own heart. Make all haste to cast the fire out of your bosom.

8. Do not affect the gentleman. A preacher of the Gospel is the servant of alL

9. Be ashamed of nothing but sin; no, not of clean ing your own shoes when necessary.

10. Be punctual. Do everything exactly at the time. And do not mend our rules, but keep them, and that for conscience’ sake.

11. You have nothing to do but to save souls. There fore spend and be spent in this work. And go always, not only to those who want you, but to those who want you most.

12. Act in all things, not according to your own will, but as a son in the Gospel, and in union with your brethren. As such, it is your part to employ your time as our rules direct: partly in preaching and visiting from i house to house, partly in reading, meditation, and prayer. Above all, if you labour with us in our Lord’s vineyard, it is needful you should do that part of the work which the Conference shall advise, at those times and places which they shall judge most for His glory.

2011/2/18 2:57Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Wesley’s Rules for Preachers

I actually heard many of these recited recently on a drama program on Moody radio detailing the life of Francis Asbury.

2011/2/18 11:05Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

I would have to say that every preacher and even missionary should have this as part of the commandments.
I am printing this out for my own edification and character.

2011/2/23 12:18Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Quote:
2. Be serious. Let your motto be, ‘Holiness to the Lord.’ Avoid all lightness, jesting, and foolish talking

This is something that I can't necessarily do. I don't take myself very seriously and I find if I become too serious all the time with everything I get depressed easily and irritated and aggrivated. Should the above statement be considered absolute truth?

2011/2/23 12:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Should the above statement be considered absolute truth?

Brother, have you ever studied Isaiah? I mean really study it, getting into the heart of the book? If you recall, the book contains for the most part messages Isaiah received from God to be delivered to different people groups. Anyhow, if you were to study it carefully, you will notice God's humor. Really!

This thing of jesting, foolish talking is something totally different from humor, I think.

Quote:
I don't take myself very seriously and I find if I become too serious all the time with everything I get depressed easily and irritated and aggrivated.

I understand. Actually, to regard events with a sense of humor is rooted in a forgiving mentality and faith as I see it. Faith - in that we likely do not know all the details; forgiveness - ditto, for we give people the benefit of the doubt. And we do stupid things as well, at times, and do wish others to extend a forgiving attitude towards us. Seems to me it is the outgrowth of the 'Golden Rule'.

Think about it a while and see what you think...

2011/2/28 11:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy