SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : CBS reporter sexually assaulted by Egyptian crowd screaming "JEW!"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

CBS reporter sexually assaulted by Egyptian crowd screaming "JEW!"

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1317384

CBS complicit in news coverup
By Michael Graham
THE BOSTON HERALD
Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dateline — Egypt:

“[60 Minutes] correspondent Lara Logan was repeatedly sexually assaulted by thugs yelling, ‘Jew! Jew!’ as she covered the chaotic fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo’s main square Friday.”

Powerful reporting on an important story. Two problems: It didn’t run until yesterday, and CBS didn’t run it. The quote is from the New York Post. And it was The Wall Street Journal that reported “the separation and assault lasted roughly 20 to 30 minutes.”

But CBS? They sat on their own story. For five days, as reporters reveled amid giddy celebrations in Tahrir Square, and as President Obama praised President Obama’s handling of the Egyptian crisis, CBS reported nothing.

Only when other media had the story did CBS break the news that its own chief foreign correspondent was the victim of “a brutal and sustained sexual assault.”

Five days of silence — not even “60 Minutes” coverage of the Egypt story. No mention of the “mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy” who attacked their own reporter.

How is that not news?

Some women journalists, like WGBH’s Callie Crossley, complain that CBS should never have reported the story, that Logan should be treated like a rape victim in the United States. But I’m with liberal columnist Richard Cohen of The Washington Post:

“The sexual assault of a woman in the middle of a public square is a story  . . .  particularly because the crowd in Tahrir Square was almost invariably characterized as friendly and out for nothing but democracy,” Cohen wrote.

Watching the same complicit media we all saw, Cohen notes most journalists covered the mobs “as if they were reporting from Times Square on New Year’s Eve, stopping only at putting on a party hat.”

Even CBS’s own statement said Logan was “covering the jubilation” and was attacked “amidst the celebration.”

Having 200 “good guys” gang assault a female reporter while screaming “Jew! Jew!” doesn’t fit the narrative. Is that why CBS sat on the story?

Or is it the cultural issue? A rape in a bar is a sex crime. But a pack of political protesters who rape a “Jew” in public is a story about culture.

Rapes happen everywhere, it’s true. And political protests are a global phenomenon, too. But as Slate.com’s Rachel Larimore says, “there’s a huge difference between flipping over a truck and spraying friends with beer and prying a woman away from her security detail and sexually assaulting her.”

Larimore wonders if “Logan’s attack [is] an anomaly, or is it to be expected from men raised in a culture that treats women as lesser citizens?”

I would point her to the 2008 broadcast on the Al-Aribiya network of a female (!) lawyer arguing that it’s OK for Muslim men to sexually assault Israeli women, because the Jews have “raped the land.” Or this week’s story of Hena, the 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl raped by a family member, then sentenced to 100 lashes by Muslim authorities for having sex out of wedlock. After 80 lashes, Hena died.

There are stories like this — and Logan’s — every week, all with the same cultural denominator.

For the record, Logan isn’t Jewish. And because she’s not Muslim, there’s no possibility she’ll face the lash.

But Lara Logan is a story. Why did CBS work so hard not to tell it?

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1317384

2011/2/17 11:16Profile
Theophila

Re: CBS reporter sexually assaulted by Egyptian crowd screaming "JEW!"

It isn't wise for any media network to send women to cover this kind of potentially dangerous 'news'....poor woman.

2011/2/17 12:17Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: CBS reporter sexually assaulted by Egyptian crowd screaming "JEW!"

I'm not trying to saying anything bad about another religion but my question is; don't they talk about Islam (Muslim? Is there a difference?), being so moral about sex, alcohol, etc?

After Chris posted this I searched Muslim attitude on rape, granted I'm in the classroom but I couldn't find a quick opinion on Muslims and their attitudes against it.

From the articles that came up, it seems that rape is common place among muslims. One article had a quote in it that said something like, "all women who don't wear face coverings deserved to be raped." WOW. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm not trying to make waves.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/2/17 12:50Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Lysa. Talking truth is not talking bad, especially when dealing with false religions.

Good thoughts. Things like this show the true side of Islam.

2011/2/17 12:53Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I thought much about posting this here and hope to be doing the right thing.But I think people in the west are so ignorant about both the prophet and practices of islam.

This link will reveal some shocking truth about Islam.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2009/01/father-zakaria-botros-on-the-perverse-sexual-habits-of-the-prophet-part-ii.html

{edit- here is part I }

http://bsimmons.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/father-zakaria-botros-on-the-perverse-sexual-habits-of-the-prophet/

2011/2/17 13:22Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Yes over 120 reporters have been hurt or killed in this enviroment in the last months. So to me it is not wise for any reporters to be in that place. What a sad fruit of "islam" the hatred for the jews and to kill and rape is considered holy when against the enemies of islam.

2011/2/17 13:27Profile

Greg, Chris, Lisa

i didnt want to say anything, but now i will;

i thought the whole thing in Egypt was rather funny, not the rape of Lara Logan...thats just typical behavior in the arab/muslim "street" from Morroco to Indonesia. Why do you think the Israeli Defense Forces have to stay gunned up and on the ready, 24/7/365? the arabs dont want peace, they never have, never will, does the name Ishmael ring a bell?

i thought the whole thing has been "funny" IRONIC (not funny ha ha) because the whole flash point over this civil unrest has nothing to do with islam, but with FOOD.

all their rulers, whether they be military juntas, dictators, emirs, kings, whatever live high on the oil hog (said oil hog being the "Whore of babylon) while their own people are barely eking by.

the price of wheat has DOUBLED in the past six months, and for decades, the US, under PL480 has been giving million of tonnes of wheat to any friendly North African nation.

and what i found even more ironic is seeing some of my secular left leaning friends hoo-rahing when Suileman made the announcement that Mubarak was leaving and the country would be run by the "Supreme Council of the Armed Forces"....i watched this live on al jazeera, and once the arabs in tahir square heard this, i watched for over an hour as they screamed and whooped for joy...and then watched on facebook, as a lot of these secular friends IN AMERICA, made joyous pronouncements of how great this all was............GREAT?

can my fellow Americans be so absolutely deluded into thinking that the announcement "The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces" is taking over the country a GOOD THING?

and then i thought things, first, that people have gone absolutely mad, insane, and then secondly...the fire has been kindled.

because once these Egyptians realize they been had, watch out, either one of two things is going to happen: either the new generals in place will try to divert the people's attention from their sorry lot in life, by starting yet ANOTHER war with Israel, or the Egyptian military which is riddled with the muslim brotherhood, will install pliant clerics in place, and we will see another islamic theocracy, though this one would be a sunni, not a shia theocracy.

of course CBS "sat" on the story, they were ordered to. the last thing anybody with vested interests in the region wants to admit is that the arab street is ripe for a muslim caliphinate/cleric class to take over, hence they dont want to stoke these mobs into their latent/blatent/reflexive hatred for Jews into full flame.....so we, the US, are trying to massage this whole situation back to the old status quo, which is pliant, buyable arab militarists to run the works.

i found myself praying for Israel, because i know right now, that Israel's Southern Command, which has been given short shrift in the last "peace" of 30 years with Egypt, must be a beehive of activity.

Northern Command has its hands full with Hizbo-allah and its 40,000 missiles, (supplied by Syria and Iran, via Russia) but now they have to muster at least 2 to 3 full motorized divisions and refold them into Southern Command, but they also have to stay on track with plans for terminating Iran's nuclear program, which takes planning the likes of which has never been seen before.

the world hates us Jews...wonder why?

it's going to be one HELL of a day, when the world realizes that Israel has the world's 6th largest nuclear weapons arsenal.

the fire has been kindled.

2011/2/17 15:01

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy