SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : freedom

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
A-beliver

freedom

T wanted to ask any- and everyone's opinion on this question: What is freedom, and is it restricted by the bible. Again this isn't a debate I would just like your opinions. Thank you.

2011/2/15 14:41Profile

Re: freedom

What does it mean to be free? The world has some very strong ideas on the meaning of freedom. This has been a subject that has been discussed for thousands of years. One of the most famous freedom fighters in history was Sparticus. Here was this former Roman soldier, now a slave and reduced to fighting for his life in the arena. He decided to thow of his shackles of slavery and escaped with a small band of men which eventually grew in hundreds of thousands of runaway slave who struck fear into the very hear of Rome. They won victory and victory until their own greed and pride eventually finished them of. Another famous group of freedom fighters were my own people, the Scots, who in 1314 took on a vastly superior force in the English and won a famous battle that secured freedom. Sometimes the Scottish can be synonymous with fighting for freedom and for a long time I avoided the notion that my own love of freedom had anything to do with the fact that I was born and bred in a country who were known, rightfully of wrongly as a people who would rather die than live in slavery. There is this romantic notion of warriors who rise up against injustice and , despite overwhelming odds, would rather die on a battle-filed fighting for freedom than to live in slavery. It is an extremely powerful emotion. It stirs the heart and has often been uses as a rallying cry, a call to arms amongst men down through the ages. America herself will celebrate, in just a short while, Independence day. A day that rejoices in the defeat of tyranny and the rise of freedom. A day that celebrates a small band of people overcoming overwhelming odds and rising up against a large tyrannical force and defeating them.

Yet is any of this freedom? Is any of this the freedom that Jesus came and wrought for us? Before I came to Christ I was a brokenhearted man. Life had crushed me. The child of a violent alcoholic, who became a drunk myself, constantly drugged, had lost a child, had another child burned 60%. Had become suicidal. And yet Jesus stood up in the temple and pronounces this……..

Luk 4:18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on Me; because of this He has anointed Me to proclaim the Gospel to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim deliverance to the captives, and new sight to the blind, to set at liberty those having been crushed,
Luk 4:19 to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”
Luk 4:20 And rolling up the book, returning it to the attendant, He sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on Him.
Luk 4:21 And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your ears.

He healed my broken heart, praise the Lord. He rescued me from my spiritual poverty. He freed me from my cell of destruction, he took that which was totally broken and He put it back together again and He set me free. Not some vague theological notion, not some mental construct, not some psychological crutch, actual freedom. He came into my cell of death when He heard my cry and he He opened the doors of my slavery.

Many years after coming to Christ I had this vision. Now in 20 years I could count on one hand the number of visions that I have had. And they have all left their mark on me. Let me read to you my vision………….

I felt the rush of air rising, catching my wings as I ascended higher and higher
through the clouds. Suddenly the mountain top appeared, rising majestically,
resting on a sea of gray.The mountain trembled and the thunder clapped and the “Rock,” said, ” go.” I flapped my wings and soon the mountain was far behind as I flew over rivers and valley’s and great forests of pine. Then I came across a great assembly of men gathered together on a bleak and desolate moor as the rain began to fall and the wind howled in anguished anticipation. Words of freedom echoed up to the sky above. Will a man die for freedom? How many men have spilled their blood and hastened their souls to eternal damnation for that which is not even a shadow. And the men fought and died not knowing that it is not in the winning or the losing, neither can that which they seek be attained by knife or sword. I flapped my wings and suddenly the mists of time rolled back, back, back unto the dawning of a different age. Below me, another assembly of men, angry men. These men were not fighting for freedom, they were seeking to destroy it. They shouted,”crucify Him, crucify Him,” and freedom hung in the balance. And all of hell’s fury cheered as the sky grew dark and the lightening flashed and the earth stood still in utter dismay. Would the sun ever rise in the sky again, or had darkness won the day? Then after three days and three nights, from a sea of darkness and gloom, rose majestically, a pure white standard that shattered the darkness forever. Now the white flag signifies surrender, when we surrender our life’s to Jesus, we gain victory from the jaws of defeat and the darkness is destroyed forever.

You see, true freedom has nothing to do with anything political. Many Christians are confused with the notions of freedom and have their political freedoms all mixed up with the freedom that was gained for them on Calvary. Jesus is our victory, in Jesus our Lord we find true Freedom. The Scriptures say that He who the Son sets free is free indeed. This majestic freedom rises high above all earthly gained freedom. If men could attain freedom by their own efforts then Christ died in vain. How free was our brother the Apostle Paul when he languished in the deep?
What about Peter and John as the lashes tore the skin from their back? What about our brother Stephen as the cruel stones destroyed his earthly body? I say that they were as free as the birds in the sky, no, so much freer than they. For the birds are as free as the sky in which they fly, our freedom ascends to the very throne of the Almighty God. In the deepest darkest dungeons, chained to the walls, we are the light that penetrates and destroys the darkness, we are the salt of the earth. If true freedom could be granted or taken away by men then it would not be the freedom of
Calvary. The gentiles busy themselves with earthly things, buying and selling, gaining and losing and for needs sakes we too must walk amongst them. And yet, we are a brotherhood, a Royal Priesthood sent to shine that light of Calvary’s freedom into every corner of the earth. We are called to be a counter culture, not a sub-culture.

Now there is another group of Christians who are not confused at all about political freedom. They know that it has nothing to do with politics or accident of birth. They know that they owe everything to Jesus. Yet, they do not walk in freedom. They see themselves as vile worms. They make virtue out of the fact that they are struggling sinners, in fact you will rarely if ever hear them call themselves saints. Isn’t it interesting that this is what Paul and Peter refer to the children of God in the Scriptures, they address them as saints. We must understand who we are in Christ if we are to walk in Victory. We must understand that we walk in His righteousness, He has made us righteous. We do not walk in condemnation, we do not walk and cry out “Oh wretched man that I am.” This is not the cry of the saint. The saint does not cry out “Who will deliver me from this body of death.” This is the cry of the man who is trying to attain his own righteousness, and the tragedy for the genuine Christian who gets caught up in this is that they deny the one who did deliver them from their body of death. He has given them new life, they are new creatures in Christ, behold all things are new. None of this is theory or theology, its actuality. Yet you must reckon it to be so, you must lay a hold of the freedom that was wrought for you on the bloody battle-field of Calvary. This body of death phrase was gleaned from an ancient practice. In those days, if one committed murder, often the penalty would be that the corpse of the one one murdered was chained to the one who did the murdered. It was a horrific penalty that would eventually kill the person that was chained to the corpse. Brothers and sisters, do you know someone who is chained to the old man? Who drags this stinking rotting carcass of that which was killed. Who walk around and wail ..”Who will deliver me from this body of death?” What a tragedy for the those in the Body of Christ who have been delivered, who were captives in their jail cells, and were set free by Christ Himself with the blood of Calvary, and yet remain in the jail cells. The door has been unlocked, you now have been released, all you have to do is push the door open that Jesus opened for you and walk on through out of darkness into His marvelous light, yet you stay in the cell, with a piece of paper telling you that your free, but you never take hold of your freedom and remain in your cell, remain in Romans 7 and never walk into the freedom of Romans 8. Listen to what Matthew Henry says about Romans 8……………..

“I. The apostle here begins with one signal privilege of true Christians, and describes the character of those to whom it belongs: There is therefore now no condemnation to those that are in Christ Jesus, Rom_8:1. This is his triumph after that melancholy complaint and conflict in the foregoing chapter – sin remaining, disturbing, vexing, but, blessed be God, not ruining. The complaint he takes to himself, but humbly transfers the comfort with himself to all true believers, who are all interested in it. 1. It is the unspeakable privilege and comfort of all those that are in Christ Jesus that there is therefore now no condemnation to them. He does not say, “There is no accusation against them,” for this there is; but the accusation is thrown out, and the indictment quashed. He does not say, “There is nothing in them that deserves condemnation,” for this there is, and they see it, and own it, and mourn over it, and condemn themselves for it; but it shall not be their ruin. He does not say, “There is no cross, no affliction to them or no displeasure in the affliction,” for this there may be; but no condemnation. They may be chastened of the Lord, but not condemned with the world. Now this arises from their being in Christ Jesus; by virtue of their union with him through faith they are thus secured. They are in Christ Jesus, as in their city of refuge, and so are protected from the avenger of blood. He is their advocate, and brings them off. There is therefore no condemnation, because they are interested in the satisfaction that Christ by dying , made to the law. In Christ, God does not only not condemn them, but is well pleased with them, Mat_17:5. 2. It is the undoubted character of all those who are so in Christ Jesus as to be freed from condemnation that they walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit. Observe, The character is given from their walk, not from any one particular act, but from their course and way. And the great question is this, What is the principle of the walk, the flesh or the spirit, the old or the new nature, corruption or grace? Which of these do we mind, for which of these do we make provision, by which of these are we governed, which of these do we take part with? “…………

So brothers and sisters, by which of these are we governed? By which of these do we walk in? Do we walk in the path of grace? Or do we continue to walk in the path of condemnation? We are free men indeed. This army of prayer warriors that Christ is raising up is not an army of slaves to sin, but an army of freed slaves. Freed from the power of sin. Freed from the destruction of corruption. We are free to sing the glories of the Living God in a world that is dying. Just as the slaves that threw of their shackles and followed Spartacus and struck terror into the heart of the Roman Empire, we are so much more than them, for we did not throw of our own shackles, they were taken from us. And by no mere man, but the man Christ Jesus. He delivered us by the bloody battle field of Calvary.

Yes brothers and sisters, we must stand before the cross and look up. Up there is the victory, up there is the triumph up there my God and yours blotted out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross.Having stripped rulers and authorities, He made a show of them publicly, triumphing over them in it. (col 2:14-15) As we look up there, we turn from our own sin, we do not run from it. We look up and see our sin upon the cross in the form of Jesus. And as we gaze up, we see our sin defeated as our Saviour cries out “Father , Forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And as we look up, we hear the final death blow and destruction of our sin “It is finished.”

If we will be warriors and march in that glorious army of the redeemed ,then brothers and sisters, come away from “Oh wretched man that I am.” Come away and walk in the glorious light of Calvary, of freedom. We look at our sin and in our audacity we struggle to overcome it and this becomes the thrust of our lives. And amazingly we are often proud of this, proud to be missing in action. Proud to be absent without official leave. Proud that we live in an eternal struggle against sin, proud that we are not like the wicked world. Proud that we have a conscience and do not sleep well at night. We choose to dwell under condemnation, we choose to allow the enemy to control our lives , we choose to remain silent because the accuser of the brethren whispers in our ears “you are nothing but a wretched man, look at yourself, look in the mirror, cast your eyes upon your sin and see that you are worthless in this battle.” No brothers and sisters, look to Jesus, not to yourself. Look up, look up, look up and see your freedom. If we listen to the enemy of our souls, the accuser , the condemner, then we nullify Calvary in our lives and take ourselves out of the battle.

The Lord says “Look to me, I am the author and the finisher of your faith.” Shall we begin in the Spirit and attempt to finish this journey in the flesh? Brothers and sisters, if you would join this ancient army, this army that was and is and is to come, if you would march in lockstep with Gideon and with David and with Joshua, if you would run towards Goliath, if you would take on ten thousand and slay them all, if you would kneel down in the arena of life as the lions approach, if you would take your place with the heroes of faith then it is high time that we take our eyes of of ourselves and look up. There is an old Hymn that goes like this……………………

Stand up, stand up for Jesus,
ye soldiers of the cross;
lift high his royal banner,
it must not suffer loss.
From victory unto victory
his army shall he lead,
till every foe is vanquished,
and Christ is Lord indeed.

2. Stand up, stand up for Jesus,
the trumpet call obey;
forth to the mighty conflict,
in this his glorious day.
Ye that are brave now serve him
against unnumbered foes;
let courage rise with danger,
and strength to strength oppose.

3. Stand up, stand up for Jesus,
stand in his strength alone;
the arm of flesh will fail you,
ye dare not trust your own.
Put on the gospel armor,
each piece put on with prayer;
where duty calls or danger,
be never wanting there.

4. Stand up, stand up for Jesus,
the strife will not be long;
this day the noise of battle,
the next the victor’s song.
To those who vanquish evil
a crown of life shall be;
they with the King of Glory
shall reign eternally.

Oh brothers and sisters look to Jesus, look to Jesus, let us take our eyes of of ourselves and praise the name of Jesus. Let us magnify Him, let us glorify Him , let us exalt Him, let us proclaim His marvelous truths. Let us say this day to all who would hear that their is victory in Jesus, our Saviour forever. Their is victory in His name. There is overcoming in His name, there is freedom in His name. Let us cry out to the captives, that this is the day of the Lord and this day He has come to set you free. Is your heart broken today, then He has come to heal the broken-hearted. Has life crushed you, do you need a doctor , can you see your need? Then cry out that name which is above every name. Cry out then name that makes the devil tremble. Exalt the name of Jesus, lift it high above everything in life, lift Him up, look up, lift your eyes unto the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Stand upon victory this day, stand before the cross, stand before the throne. For you are sons and daughters of the most High God. If you know the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords then you are saints today with the privileges that come with it. You can come before the throne of grace and cry holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty, you can cry Father, for He is your Father this day and you are His child and He loves you with an everlasting love, if you doubt this then look to Calvary and see His precious Son hang upon the cross. Look to the heavens and see His Son at the right hand of glory. Do not let the accuser of the brethren whisper into your heart any longer, lift high the Royal banner and allow it not to suffer loss because every foe is vanquished and Christ is Lord indeed.

2011/2/15 17:20

Re:

Thank you very much Bro. Frank ... much needed today and saved it as well.

The LORD Bless the Prayer Conference tonight, that's mentioned on your website - amen - GOD Bless!

2011/2/15 18:48
staff

Re: freedom

Hi A- believer,
I just wrote this on another post one Minute earlier and I think it is apt here.
I think Freedom is this:

Last words of Eric Liddell Scotish Winner of the Olymopic Gold 1924 and who died in a Japanesse POW Camp serving God.
He said this about what he learned in life about his relationship with Jesus.
--------------ITS ABOUT TOTAL SURRENDER---------------
I hope I,My wife and all my family learn that.Please Lord.

2011/2/15 18:53Profile

Re:

I am glad that you were blessed Jesus is God, onwards to victory!...........brother Frank

2011/2/15 20:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy