SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why are humans able to be saved and angels are not?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jeremyhulsey

Why are humans able to be saved and angels are not?

Why aren't angels able to be saved? I've always wondered this. I have been thinking lately that it has something to do with the fact that we are created in the image of God. Here is what I have considered:

1. God is love. Therefore, He loves all of his creation. God shows His concern even for animals in the giving of the law. Jesus said that the Father sees the death of every sparrow--the context here is talking about the concern of the Father for His creation.

2. God is a God of reconciliation. He immediately made a covering for Adam and Eve. Scholars say this was quite possibly the first sacrifice.

3.God obviously loves the angels. They are in His presence continuously day and night worshipping Him. God is not one to just give up on something He's created--the cross shows how far He's willing to go.

This leaves me with the only conclusion that I can think of and that is that there was something about the fallen angels that made it impossible to reconcile them. If there was a way for them to be redeemed the Lord would have made a way.

I believe the difference between us and the angels is that we are created in the Lord's image and the angels are not. It's that precious part of our creation that makes us able to be redeemed and even gives us that special relationship to God. In Ezekiel 36 the coming New Covenant is prophesied. In this passage the Lord said that He is not doing this for our sake but for His name sake. He is jealous for His name.

When the angels fell, God's honor was not at stake like when we fell. It was His image in us that He sought to redeem for His praise and glory. That we would, once again, Hallow His name. It was His image that could be restored, that very image that was lacking in Lucifer. All the affection in the world could not change the angels. Their fall was an eternal one. But when Adam sinned, God became jealous for His image and His name and was able to make a way for us to be redeemed.

I only understand this at about 20 watts. I think that's as far as I ever will, but I thought I'd share it with you all.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/9/5 21:46Profile
Jason

Re: Why are humans able to be saved and angels are not?

Jude hints at the reason for this when he says, "and those angels who did not keep their own beginning but forsook their own dwelling place, he has reserved in eternal chains under darkness for a judgment of a great day" (Jude 6, my transl.; note that the word for "beginning" can also mean "rule" or "position of authority").

This is cited in a section describing those who with full knowledge turn from their created nature (including homosexuals, unbelievers in the wilderness, and these angels).

This connects to the concept in Hebrews (when referring to those unbelievers in the wilderness) that one can fall from grace in such a way that there no longer remains room for repentance. This (according to Hebrews) necessitates coming to the knowlege (more than just head-knowledge here) of the truth and then turning away from it in continued sin. This is blaspheming the Holy Spirit -- to receive this spirit only to turn away.

These angels were already in the full presence of God when they chose to act against their created nature; for this there is no repentance and no forgiveness.

I might add that the one thing that may make this a little more difficult is that this is clearly not speaking of Satan or his group of angels, who are not bound but remain as "powers in the heavens." This is speaking of another group that is now bound with chains until the Day of the Lord.

I hope that helps, although I suspect it will also spawn more discussion and questions.

2003/9/5 23:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy