SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Practice the presence of God?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Practice the presence of God?

Could someone please show me, from scripture, what it means to practice the presence of God.

It is a much used phrase, and there is even the book.

But, from scripture, what is it?

Thanks.

2011/2/3 9:44Profile

Re: Practicing the presence of God

Pro 3:5,6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding - in all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

Total 'dependence' on Father, by His Spirit - as Jesus did while here, as our only Example.

Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Mar 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Joh 14:16-18 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Joh 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.

Joh 16:13-15 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Eph 1:17-23 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: and hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Mat 13:16,17 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear, for verily I say unto you, that many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Joh 11:40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

2Co 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

I love how the KJV put a "smilie" in that verse.

Luk 18:8 .... Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find Faith on the earth?

Php 1:9-11 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; that ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2011/2/13 0:57

Re:

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
Rev 4:9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
Rev 4:10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Isa 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
Isa 6:4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
Isa 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

After going offline last night and until now, I've been strongly convicted of our lack of PRAISE.

I think that many of us have heard that, "He inhabits the Praises of His people."

I thought again that, we had better get used to hearing these Praises, if we plan to be before His Throne.

I felt that none of us Praise Him as much as we ought.

That nothing on earth brings us closer to what actually takes place 'In His Presence' than Praise.

I remember one sister that started a Praise thread, where she'd come on daily to just Praise and for the most part, that thread wasn't understood. GOD forgive us - regardless of who writes such things - we should get happy when we hear true Praises being uttered. Please forgive my grieving on your thread, but with all that goes on in a day of late, I too have neglected my GOD in this fashion.

We often are embarrassed to Praise in public, because of the response of others.

When the Spirit begins to Praise Him - it lifts us to the reality of what is transpiring before His Throne, from the time of creation and ever since and evermore.
We need to get a vision of this - and then, enter in with that Heavenly chorus - on a daily basis ourselves.

Thank you Enid!

2011/2/13 11:39
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, I wanted to understand it from scripture, not just from books.

Also, what comes to mind is, what things do we do which question if we are truly conscience of God's presence?

Like being online, watching tv, entertainment, sports, etc.

The list is endless.

Is it God pleasing or pleasing ourselves?

God bless.

2011/2/14 7:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Practice the presence of God?

Enid,

I am not sure if there is a verse anywhere with these exact words, but the concept is inherent in the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit in the life of the Believer.

Consider John 15:1-11: NASB
1“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.

2“Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.

3“You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.

4“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.

5“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

6“If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

7“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

8“My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.

9“Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.

10“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

11“These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

Then there is Matthew 11:28-30: (NASB)

28“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Does this answer any of your questions?

As sharp/knowledgeable as you are, Enid, mind if I ask why you are asking this question?

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2011/2/14 8:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

And another answer to your question: consider the relationship the prophets, the apostles had with the LORD via the Holy Spirit. How does my communication, love for God compare with theirs? This question challenges me. Is there any reason why this closeness is limited to these people? The answer is 'no'. It is all up to me and how I respond to the LORD.

The Psalms, Lamentations read like a journal of a man's walk with his God. This is so insightful. It answers many questions we have - even about God himself. Job is another book that deals with this issue but from a different angle.

Just study the historical books in the WORD and make note of the characters' relationship with the LORD. There are rich lessons to be learned there.

Hope this helps!

Blessings.

2011/2/14 8:15Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I asked the question in relation to the book, The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence, which I half read and then threw out.

Wanted to hear about it from a more reliable source.

And now I have, Ginnyrose.

God bless.

2011/2/14 8:19Profile

Re:

""Also, what comes to mind is, what things do we do which question if we are truly conscience of God's presence?

Like being online, watching tv, entertainment, sports, etc.

The list is endless.""

Fellowshipping or researching topics that are needed, online is not a problem. The rest of what you brought up - to me - is a problem. I just can't justify those other things with what the Early Church would be doing ... Paul, John, Jude, etc.. We say that we should be like them - operating in the gifts as they were, but -

I cannot see watching the Super Bowl for instance, with it's filthy commercials and All else that goes with it - like ancient Rome, we are. Million dollar salaries, immoral lifestyles, players being role models for kids, Nothing of GOD at all in any of it.
TV & movies is a large subject, 'scientifically' as well as spiritually. I just can't see reconciling watching those things and, "taking Every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" or "walking in The Spirit" or as you've said - being consciously in His Presence, while being in a passive state that TV & movies produce, having our eyes, ears and mind flooded with what? The science of both, the passive mind and the science behind TV & movies is something we should know about already. It's identical to hypnotism and Does alter one's values, conscience, opinions, etc..
This isn't legalism - but girding up the mind - wanting to keep it sensitive and ready for Him to lead, through the holy of holies of our spirit, keeping all open gates [eyes, ears, mind] pure, just because we Love Him and desire more and more of Him - His Words, thoughts, leadings, 'presence' to flood our minds and not the words, sights, sounds of ..... whatever is of this world - except a burden for the world to see and know Christ and whatever is the burden of The LORD for His people. Life is short - eternity is forever - so why cater to or feed the flesh when our Eternal reward is at stake?
Bottomline, it's all about what or who we love. JMO

2011/2/14 9:30

Re:

It's 43 minutes after the hour and I still have more on my heart that is Really weighing on me.

1Jn 4:17 "Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment:

because as He is, so are we in this world."

1Jn 2:6 "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk,

even as He walked."

Oh Really? Is this True? Are we?

WHAT is "The Mind of The LORD"?

How do we picture "as He is" and how 'did' HE "walk in this world", that we're supposed to immulate, or walk as HE did or be "as He is"?

This is the part that tears away at me the most. No human is perfect - we have emotions to deal with - but what Is The Mind of The LORD?

HIS Mind is continually wrapped around the ENTIRE WORLD --- is ours?

Why do I feel that every Christian should have a multi-band radio, at the least? TV is dangerous, but radio is proven to not 'scientifically' have the same affect on the mind. It engages one to "think" and not just stare at images [some of which are subliminal].

If we care what is happening in a State or Country that one of our family or loved one lives in - we'll do whatever it takes to find out how things are there for them.

IF we are to be concerned with EVERY HUMAN ON EARTH - "as HE is", then the only place to find out how the WORLD is doing, is to either go on the internet and find some alternative News site - one without some bias, and find out - or better yet, have these radios, especially as the internet may go down one day. We need to know how all the people in the entire world are doing... so we can, At The Least, fast and pray for each country, city, whatever. And as John 16:13 promises, He will even show us things to come - and for these "other places and peoples" as well, Before 'it' happens.

What is The Mind of The LORD?

Is 'His Mind' not for us all?

Merely glancing at just those two verses above - tell me - What 'on earth' are we supposed to be doing? Just worrying about OUR OWN Country or area??? Or what we'll do for our fleshly comforts - our "kicking back time" today?

Self-ish-ness reigns in "the church". Self, self, self, I, me, mine -- Is THAT "The mind of The LORD"?

For GOD so LOVED The WORLD - and Jesus being GOD was & is 'others minded only' and Loves them All - do we?

That says it all to me and I truly don't care or want to hear anything more than what HE has to say about Anything, at Any time, under Any circumstances - Amen, and Amen.
The battle is difficult enough to fight what our self-ish flesh wants in a day - why consciously add or so easily cater to it?

"Just give me Jesus" And His Mind, should be our cry - minute by minute - taking EVERY thought captive to the obedience of Christ - That's It and that's All. The MIND of Christ! Do we want that?

2011/2/14 10:16

Re: Practice the presence of God?

Hi enid,

Been chewing on your question.

Two places in scripture are the basis of mine, accompanied by pieces of scripture to which tunes have been written. Some are local inventions, and others more formal, such as the 'Scripture in Song' work of Dale and David Garrat.

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Here are some of the verses I sing, or, on which songs are based wholly in scripture:

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Psalm 5:11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. 12 For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as [with] a shield.

Psalms 142:7 ['Bring' is changed to] 'He took' my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou ['shalt' is changed to] 'hast' deal bountifully with me.

Revelation 5:12 the following words only:
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

Psalms 18:3 I will call upon the LORD, [who is worthy] to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
2 Samuel 22:47 The LORD liveth; and blessed [be] my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.

Psalms 68:1 Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered:

Psalms 104:33 I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. 34 My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD. 35b Bless thou the LORD, O my soul. Praise ye the LORD.

There are many other songs with phrases from scripture, or allusions to biblical events.

And, there is a song which always makes me feel sick. It is 'Reign in me'. It basically says, right now Lord, you don't reign in me, but I have a sort of inkling you're supposed to be king in my life (big emphasis on 'me'). (To the Lord) Please take this song as a token that I'm doing something about my current state of unsubmission. Yuck.

There is no-where in the song where the singer actually renounces their unbelief or rebellion, or makes a firm declaration that Jesus is their personal Lord and King, or in any way moves them from the ground of theoretical optimism about Christ's conquering power, into a state of having been conquered by Him. It is pointless.

On a happier note, songs which declare that Jesus is alive, and enable the singer to lay hold on His risen power, His forgiving power, and His intentions for one's life, are a constant joy. Likewise 'Let there be glory and honour and praises, to Jesus' never fails to bless the soul.

2011/2/14 10:31

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy