SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : To smite or not to smite

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
beatenpath

To smite or not to smite

The bible tells us numerous times when people had to be dealt with by God so my question is should God smite 'so called Christians' today acting like non-Christians publicly? The reason I ask this is because there is a member of our church that is a married women who has left her husband to be with someone half her age. She is a mother of six and is in public scrutiny and our Pastor and elders have talked to her but she still has not turned back. The thing that gets me is she publicly thanks God for being good in her life. I mean who says that kind of thing? When Moses' sister stepped out of line she got dealt with, when Lot's wife looked back she got dealt with, and the couple in the book of acts that lied they got dealt with. So should God still be dealing with people the ways he has been in the Bible?

2011/1/31 19:21Profile
learjet

Re: To smite or not to smite

I vote not smite, sounds like your pastors have the issue under control. Whatever is bound on earth is bound in heaven, this is the context of Matthew 18:

Quote:
“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
“Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

The woman has clearly rejected the word, if she chooses to live in sin, then her blood is on her own head. The elders and pastor have fulfilled their obligations.

BTW you have an awesome pastor and elders! I've been in places where this 'elephant in the room' is brushed under the carpet.

God bless you!

In Christ,
Earl J

2011/1/31 19:40Profile
beatenpath

Re:

^^^ Our pastor does a good job at what he was called for.

2011/1/31 19:52Profile
wedied

Re:

And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? 55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. Luke 9:54-56

Matthew 9:13
13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

2011/1/31 20:16Profile
knitefall

Re:

why do you think the woman was at the well in the hot part of the day?

Because all the other women were there in the cool part. She could not stand the scrutiny because of her life. And Jesus went all that way to not condemn her and we see the results of that. She preached to a whole town and after, they believed.

Love and Grace go far. That's how He gets us to stop sinning. we never get Sanctified because we are afraid of torment. We allow Him to change us From the Inside because we see His great Love and Favor.

2011/1/31 21:29Profile
beatenpath

Re:

^^^ She was open for repentance. What would have happened if she stayed in her ways? And how do you explain the couple that lied in the book of Acts post-Christ?

2011/1/31 22:01Profile
knitefall

Re:

Praise God, I'm glad to hear the woman will listen.

The key to understanding the Acts issue is in the word used for 'Sin' there. W/O going into massive detail, I believe it's only used there or once some other place. -working from memory here- Basically, the word carries the idea that sin was born, allowed to mature, bear fruit and deliver in completion. So these people had this in mind to do the whole time. It was not a 'spur of the moment' item. Who knows how long God was trying to let them see Jesus. They were fake and did not want to repent.

How most preachers tell the story does not even fit the New Cov't love Grace and Mercy. "Bless God you better get right or get left!" Hey Church, you better prove to God you love'em or He'll kill you dead..." that is of another Gospel right there.

I understand the situation- though I'm not directly involved. People do things and they don't understand why they do them or how to stop.

Most of the time, all they get is condemned and no love which causes them to leave. Snarly people who kill the wounded should go back and remember how lovely Jesus is.

If we see Him, He changes us from the Inside. From Glory to Glory, one moment of Grace to another.

Before we gave our hearts to Him, we were full of sin. But when presented with Jesus and all His Love and loveliness, all we wanted was Him. Things to consider---

2011/1/31 22:20Profile
beatenpath

Re:

^^^ No I was talking about women at the well not the women from the first post I made. The women at the well was open for change and the women in my first post is still in her own ways.

2011/1/31 22:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: To smite or not to smite

Quote:
So should God still be dealing with people the ways he has been in the Bible?

I would think this is something for God to decide. Don't you also think so?

I understand your question AND issue. It makes a body sick to see them sin so boldly with so much arrogance and then go around 'praising the LORD!' This sickens God as well. I would suppose in God's economy she still has a reason to be among the living which means God is not done with her yet. But what he plans to do, we do not know.

However, Scripture does inform us that one should not fellowship with someone who is an adulterer, 1 Corinthians 5:11-13 (NASB): "But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES."

Scripture has the final word on this issue, don't you think? Issue gets pretty tough when it involves your own family members...

2011/1/31 22:53Profile
beatenpath

Re:

^^^ I couldn't agree with you more. My wife and I do not fellowship with her any longer since the church found out what she was doing behind closed doors. And to top it off she was having a secret affair with another member of our church since 2001. We didn't find out until last summer when everything unraveled itself. And to top if more this women is my wife's aunt so yeah it's tough when it involves family.

2011/1/31 23:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy