SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : OVERCOMING SEXUAL PASSIONS by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 OVERCOMING SEXUAL PASSIONS by Zac Poonen

In Ezekiel 16:49-50, God describes the real sins of Sodom that led to the destruction of that city (in Genesis 19). Most of us have always associated Sodom with sodomy (homosexuality) and other sexual sins. But sexual sin was the ultimate result of a way of life.

What was it that led them into such depths of evil? Here we are told that Sodom’s sins were actually :

- Pride
- Laziness
- Gluttony (love of good food) and
- Neglecting the poor and needy

These were the reason why God wiped out that city. It is interesting to note that God does not even mention their sexual sin.

Sexual sin in Sodom was the result of their lazy, comfortable life-style. What can we learn from this? That there is a close connection between

* pride and sexual sin,
* laziness and sexual sin
* gluttony and sexual sin and
* a lack of concern for other people and sexual sin.

Consider just these four areas. Many of you who are young have to admit that you are finding it very difficult to overcome your sexual passions. That is an extremely difficult area. But why not begin by overcoming in these four easier areas? You may, then, find it easier to overcome in the sexual area.

Begin first of all, by humbling yourself in all situations. Avoid all arrogance.

Then begin to be hard-working and diligent in whatever you do.

Then try fasting – avoiding food – once in a while.

And fourthly, begin to think a little more about the needs of people around you and see how you can help them.

Try this prescription for one year and you may discover that overcoming your sexual passions becomes easier. We cannot overcome any sin without grace from God - but He gives His grace only to the humble; and He helps only those who are kind and helpful to others.

2011/1/28 13:52Profile
Jeremy221

Re: OVERCOMING SEXUAL PASSIONS by Zac Poonen

Thanks for posting this Greg. God has used Brother Zac to bring so many beautiful hidden truths of God to light that have set so many free.

2011/1/28 14:35Profile
knitefall

Re:

sadly, this is law and will never work.

Grace is why people get Saved and Grace is why people live right.

2011/1/28 16:25Profile

Re:

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
2Ti 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
2Ti 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
2Ti 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

1Ti 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
Col 3:6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience

1Pe 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul

1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1Co 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

1Co 9:27 But I keep under[buffet] my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

I find nothing UnScriptural with this message.

2011/1/28 16:42
knitefall

Re:

Quote:
Begin first of all, by humbling yourself in all situations. Avoid all arrogance. Then begin to be hard-working and diligent in whatever you do. Then try fasting – avoiding food – once in a while. And fourthly, begin to think a little more about the needs of people around you and see how you can help them.

1. How is one humbled? By accepting Perfect Grace. Grace removes ALL efforts of self - That is the most humbling. No self-religion. So that eliminates the rest:

2. Be hard-working... is that sounding like that pastor that said to do push ups every time you have a lustful thought? Yes. And does Jesus say to work and work harder to stop sinful activity? NO! He said to Rest in Him. What did He mean when He said to Pluck your eye out if it offend you? It means, even if you did do that, the inward evil desire would still be there. Hence, the need to Radical Grace. Like the kind Paul White ministers.

3. Fasting, another work. Work harder! Fast more! like the Catholics who commit spiritual fornication by all their useless acts of contrition. works and law will never do what Grace does.

4. think of others. That's nice... even mormons and JWs and muslims and hindus do this... If they would just have an encounter with Ultimate Grace and Favor, they would not see good morals as a merit to stick in God's face, to in turn, have Him reward us with earned righteousness. Morality and community outreach without resting in His Finished Work are religion at best.

That's what I meant by what I said. Be not deceived! God's Righteousness cannot be bought!

2011/1/28 19:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

knitefall,

Did you ever check out all the NT scriptures that teach one to 'put on'? Try it an see what it teaches you. Use e-Sword...

2011/1/28 19:27Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Knitefall...

1. We are saved by grace through FAITH (Eph 2:8). Steps of obedience are first. We must first surrender our will and submit under the authority of Christ, WHICH IS CALLED FAITH. :)

We are saved by faith, but if you do not believe you will not be saved, brother.

Belief is an action, a working of the will.

2. For he that is entered into his rest: he also hath ceased from his own works as God did from his. Heb 4:10
How does one enter to rest?? By first surrendering to Christ.

3. Fasting helps to put to death the flesh, helps to "cease from one's own works"

Just like Jesus-is-God said, there are SOOOO MANY verses in the New Testament that tells us to put down the flesh. To bring your body into subjection(fasting). Paul is speaking to Christians in these letters, not to the lost!

In order to get clean I have to take a shower right? But why, if I could just believe I can get clean right?? haha no. :) I have to be cleansed by the life-giving flow. Which takes faith and obedience to His Word. "Follow me and I will give you rest."

2011/1/28 19:32Profile

Re:

For some really good teaching on this subject you could
read the booklet called "Two of Me" by David Wilkerson .
It is available online on the World Challenge web page.

2011/1/28 19:36

- no Scripture reading?

"Humble thyself"

Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 "Humble yourselves" in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

"Working and thought life"

Pro 16:2,3 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.
Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

"Fasting"

Mat 9:15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them,
and then shall they fast.
Act 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed
Act 14:23 prayed with fasting
2Co 6:5 - in fastings
2Co 11:27 - in fastings often

As far as "living FOR others" - we have Jesus for our example. If we'd start living for others, as He did, we'd have little time for much else, would we?
Even if we don't struggle with lust or whatever - we're Still to live for others.

That's what we here for, also if you remember what determines the "sheep from the goats" in Matthew chpt 5.

Your religion sounds like an arm chair religion. No offense, but what Do you do for Jesus and the Kingdom of GOD on earth?

1Ti 6:18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate

1Ti 5:25 Likewise also the good works of some are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

Tit 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works

Tit 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

2011/1/28 19:37

Re: - no Scripture reading?

I'm Sorry, you other guy's posts weren't there when I hit reply.

knitefall - our relationship with Him is a "give and take" relationship. Like the others have said, this faith is an "action" word, we have a part in this "love relationship with Jesus"

If "HE learned obedience..." - who are we?

This is one of the best examples of this two-way relationship -

Our Part - Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
His Part - Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

There are many more like this. The others gave answer to this. Search it out. We have our part in this walk.

2011/1/28 19:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy