SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Recovering the lost art of Scripture memorization

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Recovering the lost art of Scripture memorization

When was the last time you memorized passages from Scripture? It might have been when you were in eighth grade, preparing for confirmation. Or maybe earlier still, in Sunday school, when you learned the 23rd Psalm. Can't remember when it was? Never mind. It will probably come to you.

Within living memory, as the saying goes, evangelicals unselfconsciously learned Scripture by heart. The value of this practice was taken for granted. Certainly there was a wide range, from back-row pew-sitters who could call on a few salient passages, to silver-tongued preachers who could cite Leviticus and Luke with equal authority. But if, for instance, as a child in the 1950s, you regularly attended Wednesday evening prayer meetings, where the voices of laypeople predominated, you heard Scripture quoted (and misquoted) from memory. And if you listened in, during the Sunday meal after church, when grown-ups who took ...

read more: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/january/31.40.html

2011/1/27 0:34Profile
HeartSong

Re: Recovering the lost art of Scripture memorization

Yes LORD.

2011/1/27 0:45Profile
Joyful_Heart

Praise God! I don't know when or how I memorized the Scriptures. Just kept reading the Bible over and over and hearing it in Church. Putting it on my walls etc. Didn't hear much of the Scriptures until I was 23 when I was born again and devoured the Word - and still do.

Two things I think about. Is how people, believers or anyone, who are having trials in their lives. How they don't know how to encourage themselves with the Word or resist the enemy using the Word. How very sad for them it is.

The other thing is, if things get bad, or should I say - when, for us and we find ourselves locked up or whatever in persecution - how will we be able to keep our joy, keep our focus on the Lord if we don't know the Word or worst of all, know Him intimately. How can we encourage others in those hard times?

Even today when family members or friends call with attacks and trials I quote the Scripture to them to encourage them. Nothing in this world is more powerful than God's Words to us and the awesome powerful Name of Jesus Christ.

Even though I know some Scripture in whole or in part I am encouraged by this Brother Greg to make it a priority to memorize even more. I have been working on Psalm 27, kind of, but I shall completely know it. Glory to God and thank you for this edifying post.

Your Word have I,(we) hid in our hearts that we may not sin against You. Psalm 119:11

2011/1/27 11:40Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I've always personally struggled with memorizing the Scriptures. Once for quite some time, I set down to memorize quite a few Scriptures. But I always struggled to retain whatever I did.

However, I have found the best way to memorize Scripture, at least, for me, is simply to intensively study a certain passage of Scripture and meditate on it. When doing such, I have discovered that I naturally remembered verses better, and in their context, than when I simply sat down with a list of Scriptures and blindly attempted to memorize them.

2011/1/27 11:49Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear JoyfulHeart,

To have the word "inside me" is one reason I have memorized the 23rd Psalm. My thoughts are along the same lines as yours. How better to strengthen and comfort my soul than to hear God's word. If things get as bad as I believe they will get we will not be allowed the luxury we have currently of having Bibles and Bible study books right to hand. To be imprisoned with no Bible is a dreadful thought. As long as I have scripture memorized I have all I need.

KingJimmy,

To memorize a passage, I copy it to 3 x 5 cards and carry them with me everywhere. While in a waiting room I can read it. Repeatedly going over it works for me. Once committed to memory I go through it at least several times a week to keep it fresh and easily accessible. Kind of like keeping a knife sharpened for when you need it.

This is an excellent thread, I feel it should be a sticky. One of the best things a believer can do is to arm themselves with the Word of God.

white stone

2011/1/27 13:58Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

This was a great post and much needed. Thanks.

Does anyone have more tips on memorising scripture.
I'll try the 3x5's :)

2011/1/27 15:21Profile
blandina

Re:

Quote:
However, I have found the best way to memorize Scripture, at least, for me, is simply to intensively study a certain passage of Scripture and meditate on it. When doing such, I have discovered that I naturally remembered verses better, and in their context, than when I simply sat down with a list of Scriptures and blindly attempted to memorize them.

I agree. For me to just sit down and memorize scriptures is difficult. But, as I just lived in the Word and consumed it, the scriptures took root in my mind and heart.

Like your earthly father or loved ones, you never forget the significant things they say.

However, some people have a gift to sit down and memorize for memorization sake. I wish I could do that.

2011/1/27 15:23Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Does anyone have more tips on memorising scripture.
I'll try the 3x5's :)

I am using the 3x5's and already have 5 verses memorized. I believe easily 100's could be done but would need daily and weekly re-practice to retain them! I am going through a navigators course that will have me memorize around 65 verses in the next 3-4 months.

2011/1/27 15:23Profile
Jeremy221

I have had an internal ongoing disagreement with those who push "devotions" and Scripture memory. The reason for this is that I have found that ,almost exclusively, these people do not have a true understanding of the Word, as in Jesus Christ Himself because they often rely almost exclusively on weak Bible studies and strings of proof verses to live their lives. We must store the Word of God in our hearts but what that means is that not only must we meditate on the Word so it comes to mind but strive to have the Word be the Truth by which we live rather than just knowledge so that it is the Life of our life. The only way you can do this is by seeking the fullness of the Holy Spirit, desiring the fruit of the Spirit and to be obedient to His leading so that we know His voice. Mind you, I am not against Scripture memory, just against it as a technique used to replace true intimacy.

2011/1/27 18:02Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I wish I would be good at it. I can paraphrase a scripture from memory but hardly can memorize any.

2011/1/27 18:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy