SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Exactly Is The "Unforgiveable Sin?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
What I am thinking is that since no one comes to Jesus except those that the Father has enabled the mere act of being able to come to Christ for forgiveness is evidence that they have not committed the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and that God would finish a work to completion that He had started. Is it safe to believe that if one has been prompted by the Holy Spirit to believe in God for CERTAIN, and has caused the person to didicate their life to Christ that they could not thus have blasphemed the Holy Spirit?

Hi Matthew
I think you have answered your own question well. This is the 'bottom line'. Repentance is a gift from God. Why would He give it if He didn't intend someone to use it?

As regards your other scenarios, I think it is really important to remember the commandment "thou shalt not take the name of the Jehovah thy God in vain". This was specifically spoken to people who knew God and belonged to Him; thy God. Jesus was speaking to the same kind of people; people who knew who God was but in full knowledge set their minds and mouths to distort the truth. Blasphemy is not an expletive but a slanderous campaign against revealed truth.

2004/11/17 2:55Profile
wsbg

Earth

Re: Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit -- The unpardonable sin

So then, how can a person tell if another person has blasphemed the Holy Spirit or has not blasphemed the Holy Spirit? How could one be sure of an answer either way?

2004/11/24 15:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
So then, how can a person tell if another person has blasphemed the Holy Spirit or has not blasphemed the Holy Spirit? How could one be sure of an answer either way?

It really has nothing to do with 'another person'. This is only ever between two persons; the blasphemer and the Spirit.

2004/11/24 17:55Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Holy Spirit Blasphemy

People, I am firmly convinced, that I listen to way too much preaching (but I love it:-))

May I recomend W.P Nicholson's "The Sin of No Forgiveness"?

I was discussing this topic with a friend recently, who said that there is an easy way to tell if you have committed this sin. The moment that you stop being concerned that you have committed it, be concerned that you have committed it.

I hope this helps.

2004/11/24 19:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I was discussing this topic with a friend recently, who said that there is an easy way to tell if you have committed this sin. The moment that you stop being concerned that you have committed it, be concerned that you have committed it.

I think this is absolutely true. It is recorded of Herod that he [b]Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison. [/b](Luk 3:20 KJV) The 'above all' is significant as by so doing he effectively silenced the 'Voice of God' (John's own description of himself) for himself and for others. There's that familiar link with this theme that it is the effect on others that is part and parcel of this 'unforgivable sin'.

It is sobering that when the Word of God stood before Herod He had nothing to say. [b]And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him. Then he questioned with him in many words; but he answered him [/b]nothing. (Luk 23:8-9 KJV)

John served Israel as a national conscience. The Voice crying in the wilderness. Herod not only ignored him but ultimately silenced him. When the Word stood before the man who had destroyed conscience there was nothing to say.

Even a defective conscience, and some souls suffer from this, is better than no conscience. When the conscience is destoyed it can no longer bear witness to the word of God. All is peace again again in the palace...
[b]When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: [/b] (Luk 11:21 KJV)

2004/11/25 3:26Profile
wsbg

Earth

Re:

Well we certainly have a unanimous decision on this then. One who blasphemes the Holy Spirit does not worry that they have done so at all after some verbal slander, and one who worries that they might have done this has evidence in themselves that they have not. That makes it rather straight-forward. Thanks.

2004/11/25 10:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Would it be fair to apply this also to the OSAS idea?

Luk 18:13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

My sense being that there is a 'tension', not a paranoia. It just seems often times being 'saved' is turned into bragging rights and a 'we/they' siege mentality as opposed to a wonder and an awe at what it truly is;

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

2004/11/25 11:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Would it be fair to apply this also to the OSAS idea?

Hi Mike
You're not worrying that a little peace make break out on this site are you? :-P

2004/11/25 11:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

:-P
Think our (my) motto ought to be:
Inflection! Inflection! Inflection!

Quote:
You're not worrying that a little peace make break out on this site are you?

Goodness yes, I mean no... I mean...

Actually full of just overwhelming grattitude (another post around here) I actually believe in the [i][b]sense[/b][/i] of OSAS but just have never been able to get over the fact that it is a possibility...and then there are all those warnings that we have been over in other threads on this. Guess I am just always(?)(usually?) in a state of awe over all that I have come to learn about our Lord and our God.

So why I felt compelled to sync that up with the other thought on the blashphemy of the Holy Spirit...

1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Maybe it's just my Catholic upbringing... :-P

Rom 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Isa 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

May it break forth!

2004/11/25 14:16Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Call me ignorant, but what's OSAS???

2004/11/29 5:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy