SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New Alabama Governor: Just Christians are his family

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

New Alabama Governor: Just Christians are his family

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

2011/1/19 14:08Profile
learjet

Re: New Alabama Governor: Just Christians are his family

What I find so interesting about this is:

All of a sudden a man gets up, speaks the truth and is demonized for making a New Covenant statement of fact.

What am I thinking? The god of this world is in control of the airwaves. I should have known better!

But I got good news; our Kingdom has cornered the market on Good News, His name is Jesus. Tune into the 'good news network' everyday; via the Word & Prayer.

"greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world"

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

"For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil."

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.

On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
   KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS."

He is your Redeemer, Attorney, Advocate, Wonderful Saviour, Physician, a Friend Who sticks closer than a brother, The Victor, the Morning Star, Counselor, Highest Priest, Brother, The First, The Last, The Alpha and Omega, The Ever Sufficient One, Conqueror, The Awesome God, A Reigning King, Salvation, The Regenerator, The Word Who became Flesh and dwelt among us, Deliverer, The Joy of the Father, Peacemaker, Life Giver, Emmanuel - God With Us, An Ever Present Help in a time of need, All in All, The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, and The Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world.

He's everything and more but this is all that I can recall right now!

Darn I feel good after saying that!

In Him!!
Earl J

2011/1/19 19:05Profile
Giggles

The Apology

Update:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110120/ap_on_re_us/us_alabama_governor_christians

2011/1/20 1:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: New Alabama Governor: Just Christians are his family

When I first read this I was sickened because I knew what the reactions would be from the secular media. And I was right: they were outraged. Then I also knew that in order for him to survive politically, he would have to backtrack which is what he did.

Christians applauded Bentleys message to the church. They experience pleasure in hearing this from an elected official, a gov, no less. We believe we are the called ones but all can join this crowd if they so desire - if they are willing to submit to God's will. This exclusiveness rankles the New Age/secular mindset.

Since we live in a pluralistic society in which our governing officials are drawn from the common citizenry, how would Christians have responded if this official would have been Muslim? Hindu? Communist? Atheist? Catholic? and said these things publically?

Think about it.

Am I saying a Christian should compromise and not be outspoken about his/her faith? No. Yet, how can a Christian live and not be outspoken? It is part and parcel of who and what we are and therein lies the rub. Now, how can a person govern and be silent about his motivating faith?

Seems to me that to occupy such a high office is inconsistent to living out your faith. You will be so severely criticized that will render you unable to govern adequately or you will backslide in order to accommodate your distractors. Sure - I am aware that administrative responsibilities can be carried out without preaching, but when you have people who are working to ruin you....

My two cents...

PS: The basic issue here is: can a person of Christian faith occupy such a high political office and be faithful to God's will at the same time?

2011/1/20 8:51Profile

Re:

Quoting ginnyrose:

"PS: The basic issue here is: can a person of Christian faith occupy such a high political office and be faithful to God's will at the same time?"

End quote.

I sure hope so! It's difficult to reconcile this notion with the amount of grumbling on this forum about the "godless" and "immoral" state of the government. If a Christian cannot hold high office without compromising the tenants of faith, we have no business complaining when the government acts in ways we feel are against God's will, or legislates what we feel is anti-Christian.

2011/1/20 11:29
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Well, he is definitely one of God's or he would not be able to speak out like he did. And I am thinking he is a praying man as well. So he most likely prayed before running. Our part in all of this is we need to hold him up in prayer. For direction, protection, grace to endure the verbal beatings, that he will endure because we are holding up his arms in the battle with prayer as Mosses' arms were held up during the battle.

Glory to God for this man of God is not afraid. When God said GO. He went. I am sure he is on his face before the Throne daily.

So, lets be the body of Christ and add him and other Christians in authority up to God. Add them to our daily prayers and see what the Lord will do. Without our prayers they are in trouble.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to offend. He is a servant of all the people and he doesn't want anyone to think he wont care for everyone. He doesn't apologize for being a true Christian though and I don't think he ever will.

Be glorified O most High God! Be glorified in this man and keep him safe in Your arms with Your widsom. Amen

2011/1/20 13:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

aaronhobbs wrote:

Quote:
I sure hope so!

Examples?

2011/1/20 23:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

My previous reply potentially could bring on a heated discussion...I am not sure if I want to explain more or should I wait until someone else posts and raises the obvious questions.

I,for one, love to see a president who honors God. I loved to hear it from George W. Bush; I love Barbara Bush's autobiography and read how she recognizes God. Ditto to Ronald Reagan.

But.

I have no clue how these people stand before God. They know about him and give him honor. They speak knowingly of Him. They recognize Him for who he is and appear to have the Hope. But can a person hold an elective office and still be faithful to the principles as taught on the Sermon on the Mount?

Years ago we had a president who was so outspoken about his 'faith' and ended up being an embarrassment. It seemed as though he got more liberal as time went on.

Personally, I am not judging those who hold political office but having seen the lives of some politicians too many times I see their 'testimony' as a part of the public image they use to get elected.

Skeptical? Yes. Nevertheless, I, have hope and still pray for them. Even for Barak Obama....

Another two cents of mine...spent four cents already...got a few left! :-)

ginnyrose

2011/1/20 23:32Profile

Re:

Quote fron ginnyrose:

"Personally, I am not judging those who hold political office but having seen the lives of some politicians too many times I see their 'testimony' as a part of the public image they use to get elected. "

End quote.

I am in agreement with this statement. I find myself suspicious of any public displays of faith before the media, like Bentley's.

I have never personally known a politician in high office - I know two Canadian MPs, both of whom are devout men - and thus the way I know Stephen Harper, Barack Obama, David Cameron, or any number of provincial premiers or state governors is through the media. We all know that news media is unavoidably ideological and thus we cannot take what we there see as "real".

You asked for examples. I will politely decline, as I know that the examples I would give would give rise to unfruitful debate.

The issue of the media complicates any perception of any politician of influence. Was George W Bush a devout Christian (I'll actually use him as an example here since he was mentioned in your post)? Some media outlets made him out to be, while others didn't, and we paid attention to the sources we liked. We may try to judge him based on his actions, though. I, as a Canadian (with no direct investment in American politics), question how someone who made the decisions that he made could possibly call himself a Christian. But this perception of mine is based on how the (principally Canadian) media presented him. I do not know the man, nor do I know what pressures he faced as president, nor the information to which he had access in making decisions of such consequence. How could I possibly cast judgment on him or question his professed faith?

As to my previous post, it seems a matter of logic to me, even without examples given. If we expect and pray for godly government, we'd better hope that it is possible for a Christian to remain faithful in positions of power.

[edited for grammar]

2011/1/21 1:21
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Was George W Bush a devout Christian (I'll actually use him as an example here since he was mentioned in your post)? Some media outlets made him out to be, while others didn't, and we paid attention to the sources we liked.

This is so true - it is the norm. Today you have no problem finding folks who believe Sarah Palin has been sent by God to bring some sort of deliverance to the American people. On the other hand there will be people who will trash her faith, her philosophy. Now, what is a person to believe? Who is credible? I like to believe people are honest but sadly, this is not the case. Then one is left to discern and too many times you are no further along then before. When this happens I choose to back off and not have an opinion because the LORD did not give me any.

Still, can a person head the CIA and other similar agencies and still follow the principles of honesty; prohibit extortion, kidnapping, stealing, etc.? Too many feel the ends justifies the means, even if it includes sinning in the process all for the sake of national security. Where is the law of submission to God's authority? Is God so little he cannot protect and preserve? EDIT: Yet, God did provide society governments to rule people. To be without civil governments would open the door to anarchy because evil men need restraints. Romans 13.

Another two cents..

2011/1/21 10:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy