SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : King James Bible: How it changed the way we speak

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 King James Bible: How it changed the way we speak

No other book, or indeed any piece of culture, seems to have influenced the English language as much as the King James Bible. Its turns of phrase have permeated the everyday language of English speakers, whether or not they've ever opened a copy.

The Sun says Aston Villa "refused to give up the ghost". Wendy Richard calls her EastEnders character Pauline Fowler "the salt of the earth". The England cricket coach tells reporters, "You can't put words in my mouth." Daily Mirror fashion pages call Tilda Swinton "a law unto herself".

Though each of those phrases was begotten of the loins of the English Bible, it's safe to say that none of those speakers was deliberately quoting the Bible to people they expected to be familiar with its contents. ...

read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12205084

2011/1/18 13:51Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: King James Bible: How it changed the way we speak

Like button!
Still love the King James Bible. I've tried to "convert" to other translations, but it just ain't happening.

2011/1/18 14:01Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
I've tried to "convert" to other translations, but it just ain't happening.

It is what my heart hears no matter what is being read. All others come off flat and lifeless. Although, I do find the Amplified Bible is simply the KJB with explanations and I can read it and not feel anything is missing.

white stone, a very unprofitable servant

2011/1/18 14:12Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
It is what my heart hears no matter what is being read.

Yes, I still use and refer to many other translations. However KJV is still a preference. Not because I am a "KJV'er!" but because I like it.

Love Biblegateway.com

2011/1/18 14:19Profile
ManofGod0000

Re:

Indeed a good post, but I believe that we as human beings first have lost ourselves in a sense with such emphasis on church and religion rather than having a simple come as u are voice and heart before God, ya know, in simplicity.

2011/1/18 14:31Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
Indeed a good post, but I believe that we as human beings first have lost ourselves in a sense with such emphasis on church and religion rather than having a simple come as u are voice and heart before God, ya know, in simplicity.

This thread was not about church and religion anyway, it was "King James Bible: How it changed the way we speak."

Perhaps you will consider rephrasing your blanket statement to exclude everyone but yourself. One of the things I have noticed lately are threads with people stating as certified facts things that are their own personal speculation.

You have not spoken to me, you do not know my heart, you do not even know if I belong to a housed church, let alone, if I place emphasis on religion (which is too non specific to really be a category).

Quote:
simple come as u are voice and heart before God, ya know, in simplicity

For myself, I follow God's directions in the Bible, rather than do my own thing. I know you did not actually say 'do your own thing' but that is the way it reads to me and that is too close to the way satan wants us to go - be our own gods. I hear warning bells going off and will steer clear of that path.

white stone, an unprofitable servant

2011/1/18 20:17Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
You have not spoken to me, you do not know my heart, you do not even know if I belong to a housed church, let alone, if I place emphasis on religion (which is too non specific to really be a category).

Whitestone, I did not think manogod was making his statement directly at you....but in general..

but perhaps I am wrong.

Frankly I agreed with his statement, though out of context of what the thread was about.

2011/1/18 20:22Profile
ManofGod0000

Re:

White Stone, this wasnt dedicated to a particular person, this was in reference to the english of the bible and the use of its wording and terminology.

U need not take something so personal, and I would only hope to follow God's word as I should. I am a realistic mere mortal in desperate need of the power that only comes from God.

The church and the religious mannerisms that the North American church exues is very characteristic of what I previously stated, we have become so churchy and religious that the words of scripture tend to lose their actual emphasis and meaning.

If u do not understand what I was referring to, cool, I dont want to argue, I was responding to the moderators post.

2011/1/18 20:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy