SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Scientists Detail Super-Storm Threat To California

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Scientists Detail Super-Storm Threat To California

Scientist Detail Potential Super-storm Threat To California From 'atmospheric River'

(AP) LOS ANGELES (AP) - Scientists say a plausible super-storm that could devastate California would be fed by an "atmospheric river" moving water at the same rate as 50 Mississippi rivers discharging water into the Gulf of Mexico.

Scientists who study historic storms to understand the risks modern California faces discussed on Friday a developing scaling system to measure the intensity of an atmospheric river - a huge hose-like flow of Pacific Ocean moisture into the state.

A storm scenario released by the U.S. Geological Survey this week says such a storm has the potential to cause flood damage to a quarter of the houses in the state.

The report, based on computer models analyzing the impacts of two storms that soaked the state in 1969 and 1986, describes a storm lasting more than 40 days and dumping up to 10 feet of rain.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/14/travel/main7248002.shtml

hmmm... 40 days and 40 nights?

2011/1/15 14:39Profile
HeartSong

Re: Scientists Detail Super-Storm Threat To California

Quote:
"We create these scenarios to understand what are the implication of the types of very rare events that science tell us has to happen in our future," Lucy Jones, chief scientist of the USGS Multi-Hazards Demonstration Project, said following a symposium with the researchers at the University of California, Davis.

". . . science tell us has to happen . . ."

I have come to understand these words to mean "what scientists plan to make happen" similar to "It's not a matter of if, but when."

The HAARP project up in Alaska is very interesting.

2011/1/15 14:54Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello HeartSong,

My husband and I have been aware of what goes on with HAARP for a long time. Nothing that they do shocks me.

2011/1/15 16:31Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I had not heard of HAARP until about a week ago. The LORD laid out the pieces in quick succession and my heart about failed me. Our LORD accomplishes many things with waves - His beautiful, beautiful, waves. Unfortunately there are also evil angels strumming their harps.

We must pray.

2011/1/15 16:52Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:

The HAARP project up in Alaska is very interesting.

I would be very careful about entertaining the conspiracy theories that circulate around the web regarding HAARP. It is amazing how crazy some of those theories are and based upon the imaginations of people with way too much time on their hands.

2011/1/15 17:40Profile
Giggles

Re: Scientists Detail Super-Storm Threat To California

To the OP, were it not for the current situation in Australia, I wouldn't pay much heed to this warning (due to the often fear/agenda motivated subtle biases of the news and my hope in a big God). I'm thankful there are still rainbows in the skies.

2011/1/15 19:43Profile
HeartSong

Re:

The LORD has shown me that the enemy intends for there to be an earthquake at the New Madrid fault line in May. You may call it what you may, but we REALLY MUST PRAY!

2011/1/15 21:30Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

I no longer pay attention to these
kinds of things they are just attempting to
cause fear and I want to keep my
eyes on Jesus.

rdg

2011/1/15 22:24Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:

The LORD has shown me that the enemy intends for there to be an earthquake at the New Madrid fault line in May. You may call it what you may, but we REALLY MUST PRAY!

The "enemy" intends for an earthquake along the New Madrid fault during the month of May? Really? The Lord has intercepted a message amongst the kingdom of darkness about how Satan wants to cause an earthquake during the month of May...and has revealed this to you?

Now...what are we supposed to pray about?

Please forgive my questions. There have been more than 4000 earthquakes along the New Madrid fault in less than 40 years. There was a 2.1 earthquake located on the New Madrid fault just on Thursday and a 1.0 earthquake on Wednesday. I take it that you are talking about a major earthquake?

This sounds almost like a prophecy. Now, what if this event doesn't happen? What would that mean? How is there any accountability for such a claim?

Again, forgive me for the forward nature of my questions. I am just wondering about the possible purpose of your claim and how the validity of it can even be tested by believers.

2011/1/15 23:20Profile

Re:

Chris - do you hear your tone here --- ""Really? The Lord has intercepted a message amongst the kingdom of darkness about how Satan wants to cause an earthquake during the month of May...and has revealed this to you?""

IF this were prophetic - GOD never "intercepts" Satan's plans - HE is Omniscient and knows All, since before the foundation of the world - 'we' are not & don't.

Chris, the "validity" of this is tested by waiting until June 1st, 2011. You of all people should know that... knowing the Scriptures so well and all.
The 'praying' that we should do is no different than at any other time or any other day. Just pray in the Spirit and without ceasing. The Spirit of GOD knows what we are to be praying - Rom 8.
In the meantime - I don't believe that you are the final authority on what should be called "conspiracy theories" and what is not. For you to believe so would be somewhat presumptous, if not pride.
As I read your posts, these Scriptures came, regarding the way in which you are speaking to Sisters in the LORD and other men's wives. If you are going to moderate - than Scripturally, you may be moderated by The Body as well.

Php 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

1Ti 5:2 * The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity. *

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Gal 6:3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

1Co 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

"Accountability" goes both ways Brother.

2011/1/16 5:38

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy