SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What's your favorite Paradigm?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

THANK YOU for your Honesty, it is greatly appreciated and refreshing to read. I took your words as they were and in their context and knowing you, I know it wasn't a matter of questioning God. :)

Oddly enough the Father paradigm is one I see often in life, growing up I had great love and respect for my father but when I was in the 1st grade my father went to prison and despite his crime I still had a great love and respect for him, even though his crime was great.

God as Father just makes sense for me, because I was well displined and was given love from my father and I still do to this day. (not to boast). It amazes me how life can be shifted and turn and deeply effect our thoughts about God. I have met many Atheists who were once Catholics who were wronged as a child and completely reject the idea that God even cares about them.

In Japan, its really hard for them to come to Christ because in their culture you fight till your dying breathe and its a dishonorable thing to surrender or even Love your enemies but here is Christ who didn't even put up a fight and died a very dishonorable death (according to their traditions).

This is why we must be born again, Jesus told Nicodemus this as a birth of the mind. A baby knows nothing, and is quite a clean sheet, so one who has been warped by circumstance and the world must be the same starting fresh and trusting Christ for their new teaching and lifestyle. Its really a beautiful thing.

When I talk to anyone about religion in general my question generally isn't What do you believe but Why do you believe or think that way? Usually their past is the key to unlock their Heart to Christ.

2011/7/3 3:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
I mean, a paradigm is only two nickels put together. How can that end up as anything else other than 10¢

Actually... it's 4 nickles.

Krispy

2011/7/3 7:50
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Actually... it's 4 nickles.

Or is that two parahalfdigms???

Paradigm, philosophy, are really pretty close to the same thing. We often talk of having a paradigm shift when we alter our basic way of thinking about a matter. For example, my eschatalogical paradigm used to include a special pre-tribulation rapture, but over the past several years I have had a paradigm shift. I now believe in one second coming. I like the analogy of the colored glasses.

There is a danger, I think, in holding a paradigm too closely. When "I see it the way I see it and no-one is going to change my mind", I will always twist scripture to try to support the way I see it. We are to study the Word of God and rightly divide it. I guess the technical term is exegesis, but I like to say more simply, "read it, pray about it, and simply take it for what it says."

But like it or not, we all develop paradigms about God and scripture. I think it is healthy to talk to others who don't quite see it the same way and find out why they see it the way they do. I have often realized my paradigm was incomplete through this and have had to rethink the way I see things. It causes us to grow. It is healthy to be challenged by other believers to dig more deeply into the Word.

I don't know that I have a favorite paradigm. I do know that there are some very basic things that have had a transformational effect in my life. One has been a revelation of the grace of God. I grew up in a somewhat legalistic environment and although I have always understood and experienced salvation as a free gift, I have often fought the tendency to have a works or performance based relationship with God. Praise God this tendency is less and less as time passes and I learn more and more to lean into His grace and allow that grace to transform and empower me to good works and to victorious living in Christ.

2011/7/3 8:31Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"Actually... it's 4 nickles."

It took me a while to get this joke actually LOL :)

Also I am glad this thread was brought back to life after its small slumber in the pile of threads. Perhaps another question to ask is Which paradigm is hardest for you to understand or look through?

For me it is the Soldier in God's Army, though I am a male and consider myself "manly" I just don't have that mentality for whatever reason, perhaps I am more passive making it difficult.

Its a great paradigm but I find it hard, could anyone that finds this paradigm easy to see or understand could explain why, you understand/see it? I would greatly benefit from it I believe. :)

Thanks,
Matthew

2011/7/4 1:44Profile
gazzer

Re:

i would say for me my paradigm ,is one that merges in to another ,,,,,,,,,i see god as a master and father ,and me as his son which is a servent

but in a way i feel that is what a true son is toward his father ,that be a servent ,,to honer and obey and love my father ,,tho i may not do a good job of that ,,

yea a soldier is a hard one to comprhend

2011/7/4 6:12Profile

Re:

Quote:
Its a great paradigm but I find it hard, could anyone that finds this paradigm easy to see or understand could explain why, you understand/see it? I would greatly benefit from it I believe. :)

I will give it a try.

The soldier is the best of paradigms for the saint who has matured in the Lord through practical experience. He has scars from previous battles, some won, some lost, he also has memories of where he found the enemy hiding, or laying wait to slay him. But more than this he has good memories of God's deliverance in such times, and because of this has learned to trust God to a greater measure, while learning to trust self less. He realizes that God's view of the battlefield from on high and His power to do something about it has guaranteed the victory, so it is just a matter of taking one battle at a time until the victory is proclaimed.

OJ

2011/7/8 0:38
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks that really did help :) I have a few friends who joined the military and now their vision has been set to that Military paradigm, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be a healthy one for them because they have failed to realize as you have, The Battle Belongs to the Lord. One battle, one victory at a time, I definitely like that.

When I grew up I had a pretty good relationship with my father and so that helped me form the Father/Son paradigm.

What about you that have answered what do you believe has helped you or hindered you from seeing through different paradigms? If it has hindered you do you see a way through the hinderance?

2011/7/8 1:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy