Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Watchman

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
BroRed

Alien in a land not my home.

Re: Watchman

I think that a proper understanding of the "watchman" is one who knowing the Truth/truth, is called to "watch" for error and deceit. A double-edged sword indeed. The watchman is not only responsible for the truth given to him, but for those given under his care.
Is the prophet responsible for the hearers or only the message? Or both?
It appears that the watchman is responsible for both.
I don't know that this is fully in line with the Biblical idea of the watchman. It is worthy of more study.

2010/12/22 10:40Profile

Re:

Trying not to stray too far from the only place where we read about "watchmen". As one brother mentioned that, we only find this title in the O.T..

I believe, in these days that we're living through, that watchmen are not much different than they were back then.
I do appreciated H. Bonar's description but I wasn't quite sure if his calling was only or just doctrinal truth that "watchmen" watched for. My idea of a watchman in these days is one who watches outside the walls, from being atop of it - alerting those within of an oncoming trouble.
The watchmen 'see' it with their eyes but the prophet may see/feel it in his spirit.

Only because we don't find this term in the NT is what brings me to this conclusion and that I've known true "watchmen" that can tell us what is transpiring in this world, that is an oncoming threat to the church.

Just my thoughts. Appreciate any other's thoughts.

2010/12/22 12:02

Re:

Something got me to thinking about the military way of "guard duty". We all had to stand guard duty at one time or another. Only a physical impairment would make one exempt.
I wonder if it was the same for those called to be watchman on the wall in the OT accounts?

2010/12/22 12:36

Re:

It is clear that there is differing ideas on what a Watchman is in relation to these present times. How does the Bible describe a watchman? It seems clear from the 17 verses that this word can be found that a watchman is typically elevated above the city. He has a vantage point and is able to scan the horizon for enemies and for " runners." A runner would be those talked about in Isa 52 in regard to " beautiful feet." They would carry a message, typically from the battle-field, to the waiting city. And so there is a relationship between the watchmen and the runners.

So today, a watchman could " see," the approaching enemy. Much like a prophet who would speak to the state of the people and possible impending judgement. I believe that God lays a burden on certain people, it is their calling to see and speak to approaching judgement. You will not be able to tell a watchman to go easy and relax, he has a fire burning in his bones and God Himself has set the fire.

A watchman will typically be loud because they work in the night. When all are asleep the watchmen are set upon the walls. If an enemy is coming, he would make much noise in order to wake the people up and warn them. The problem lies with the self appointed watchmen and self appointed prophets. They can both be right, they can both shout about impending judgement, but the false watchmen does not care about the judgement, he wants people judged. Gods watchmen and prophets love God with such a consuming love that despite being hated and mistreated, they will stand and speak what has been spoken to them. Their heart will be the heart of God.

Just imagine that you recieve news that a loved one is going to die. Only two people know, you and one other that hates the loved one. You both show up at the same time to deliver the news. And so you, with your broken heart and tears, tell your loved one that his time is short and that he is going to die. Now the one that hates him tells him the exact same thing and smiles broadly. Both have delivered the same message, one is Godly and the other is wicked and God judges the hearts of man.

2Sa 18:24 And David sat between the two gates. And the watchman went up to the roof over the gate to the wall, and lifted up his eyes and looked. And behold, a man ran alone.

2Ki 9:17 And a watchman stood on the tower in Jezreel. And he saw the company of Jehu as he came, and said, I see a company. And Jehoram said, Take a horseman and send to meet them, and let him say, Is it peace?

Isa 21:6 For so Jehovah has said to me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he sees.

Eze 3:17 Son of man, I have made you a watchman to the house of Israel. Therefore hear the Word of My mouth, and give them warning from Me.

Eze 33:2 Son of man, speak to the sons of your people, and say to them: When I bring the sword on it, on a land, and take one man from the people of the land, of their borders, and set him for their watchman

Eze 33:6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming, and does not blow the trumpet and the people are not warned; if the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity. But I will require his blood at the watchman's hand.

Eze 33:7 And you, son of man, I have set you a watchman to the house of Israel. Therefore you shall hear the Word from My mouth, and warn them from Me.

Make no mistake brothers and sisters. Men and woman who are called of God to this have always been resisted. There are many, for a thousand different reasons, who would oppose the watchmen on the wall. They would lull the people back to sleep. They would tell them not to listen to those guys. I am reminded of the stirring introduciton of the revival hymn where Ian Paisly in that giant booming Irish voice shouts ' THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST IS LARGELY SLEEPING LIKE A GREAT BEDROOM AND YOU HAVE ALL THE CHRISTIANS IN BED AND THEY'RE ALL SLEEPING AND THEY'RE SAYING " PLEASE DONT WAKE ME UP!"

AWAKE! AWAKE! PUT ON STRENGTH. WAKEN UP YOU SLEEPY CHRISTIANS. AWAKE, THOU THAT SLEEPETH! ARISE FROM THE DEAD! CHRIST WILL GIVE YOU LIFE!

2010/12/22 13:26
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Context of Ezekiel 33:6-7

From Bonar's quote:

Quote:
"Some one, then, must undertake the ungracious task of probing and laying bare the evils of the age; for men must not be allowed to congratulate themselves that all is well. If others will not, he will.

I think that that briefly sums up what Ezekiel is referring to regarding the watchman. God basically commands the prophet to give a warning of judgment for sin. I don't believe we have scriptural warrant to make this out to be some special class or office of Christians, other than preachers of righteousness.

To some degree or another we are all called to be watchmen/women, to warn those in sin of the danger they are in unless they repent and turn to Christ.

This is needful both outside and inside the Church, both to the unbelieving world and professing Christendom.

2010/12/22 13:28Profile

Re:

Bless you all for stressing His Love as the motivating force behind any of these ministries.

None of us are Omniscient nor omnipresent, but we are Body parts working together to get these puzzle pieces together, as each finds them, to make a picture more clear.

Even prophets are not omniscient. We need to have mercy on each other. But, as all have said, whatever the ministry - whether pastor, teacher, evangelist, apostle, prophet, watchman - at times the message of warning is hard but the only time it is offensive, is if as Appolus wrote - when the heart is not in love with HIS Body. When 'self' is the motivator. Self promotion or for accolades.

I know some men across the ocean from the U.S. that watch the world events - current events as we call them and blow their trumpets. These are also Watchmen.
"The Testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy" and I believe with all of my heart that that will and does include eschatology as well - knowing the times and the main players of moving this world into a one world everything, so to speak.

I just feel so grateful for those who I have met and prayed with and have read their posts since getting back online this time. Thank You LORD Jesus for your beautiful Body.
Remind us Who the Head of this Body is - In Jesus Name - Dear GOD, I Thank you!
Thank You that you are continually working on us - changing us - growing us up - revealing the Truths You need us to know - as we grow in Loving you more than ourselves.
Bless GOD our Righteousness.

2010/12/22 14:27
cryinthenite

Re:

We are to walk in the light as He is in the light.Let your light shine.He will come as a thief in the night to those of the night.He is at the right hand of the father.We all are called to be His light in the earth till He come.That is the light of His Spirit.We are to show forth His death till He come.O that we would just come to the cross.Only by His spirit can any see anything.If we live unto the flesh we are in the dark deceive our selves and have nothing to warn any body of,you will both fall in to the ditch.It is the way of the cross and His suffering we must come to.That will shine and meny will hate you for it.

2010/12/25 17:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
by BroRed on 2010/12/22 7:40:46

I think that a proper understanding of the "watchman" is one who knowing the Truth/truth, is called to "watch" for error and deceit. A double-edged sword indeed. The watchman is not only responsible for the truth given to him, but for those given under his care.
Is the prophet responsible for the hearers or only the message? Or both?
It appears that the watchman is responsible for both.

Brother Red, I need to confess to you that your post above halted me in my steps the day you posted it. I saw in your post the same as what Horatius Bonar had written in the OP(and other great men had as well, on this topic) and it truly did stop me in my tracks. I just took a deep gulp and went on to agree with the need for love along with the other brothers who replied here - which still stands & always will, but I read Bonar's again and well, GOD Bless you BroRed.
Love rejoices at His Truth and sometimes with tears.
We call those 'teary smiles' or 'smiling tears' - I don't know but Only GOD is GOOD!

Amen & Thanks!

2011/1/7 14:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy