SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is 'the word of [our] testimony'?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: What is 'the word of [our] testimony'?

Joan posted

Quote:
The WORD of our testimony, is the CHRIST of our testimony. It is the LOGOS, not rhema, of our testimony, as the Greek says.

Hi Joan

I see that 'word' in Rev 12:11 is indeed 'Logos', but you go on to say
Quote:
The power of our testimony lies there. Power that transformed us; power that convicts/transforms others; power that overcomes Satan. Paul would say "resurrection power."

However, 'Logos' does not really mean 'power' in the way you are using it, associating with Christ's resurrection. Rather, it is more along the lines of 'the cause of it all', although this does not appear at the top of Strong's definition.

3056 logos {log'-os}
from 3004; TDNT - 4:69,505; n m
AV - word 218, saying 50, account 8, speech 8, Word (Christ) 7,
thing 5, not tr 2, misc 32; 330
1) of speech
1a) a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
1b) what someone has said
1b1) a word
1b2) the sayings of God
1b3) decree, mandate or order
1b4) of the moral precepts given by God
1b5) Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
1b6) what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a
weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
1c) discourse
1c1) the act of speaking, speech
1c2) the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
1c3) a kind or style of speaking
1c4) a continuous speaking discourse - instruction
1d) doctrine, teaching
1e) anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
1f) matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter
in dispute, case, suit at law
1g) the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
2) its use as respect to the MIND alone
2a) reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating,
reasoning, calculating
2b) account, i.e. regard, consideration
2c) account, i.e. reckoning, score
2d) account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
2e) relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
2e1) reason would
2f) reason, cause, ground
3) In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the
personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in
creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the
world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement
of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the
Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth
conspicuously from His words and deeds.
++++
A Greek philosopher named Heraclitus first used the term Logos around
600 B.C. to designate the divine reason or plan which coordinates a
changing universe. This word was well suited to John's purpose in
John 1.

Therefore I wonder if when I asked the original question, I should really have asked how a TESTIMONY should be phrased in order for it to OVERCOME the enemy?

2010/12/17 9:25
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

The word of our testimony, I believe is a question that the answer comes not from greek, or hebrew, but from understanding the gospel.

It says that they overcame "him", who is "him"? It is satan, and the scripture tells us, that satan is the accuser of the brethren.

When satan accuses us, we must give a testimony against him. That testimony is this, Christ is our righteousness, the accuser has no power to accuse Christ.

It goes further to give a physical demonstration of this, which is the blood of Christ, which is a symbol of the cross, and the righteousness that He gives to us.

2010/12/20 16:35Profile

Re: What is 'the word of [our] testimony'?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your contribution, which is helping crystallise my sense of direction in this matter.

1 Cor 1: 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, [yea], and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

It think also, I will take a look at the word 'overcome'. There are other verses, but these promises are quite an incentive -

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it].

Revelation 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

2010/12/21 9:30
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

One of the other things to notice, is that it says, "they overcame him", "overcame" is past tense, which is an affirmative statement of something, which in the mind of God, has already been accomplished. So in doing a study of overcoming something, it is important to recognize that here, it is referring to something that is sealed in stone, and cannot be changed.

2010/12/21 11:22Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

How do we overcome? By and act of God; "Christ in you the hope of Glory". He that overcometh must be born of God.

1 John 5:1-5 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God ((((overcometh)))) the world: and this is the victory that ((((overcometh)))) the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

This truly is our born again expierence Jesus told Nicodemus about, "Ye must be born again to understand the things of the Kingdom of God."

I overcome because He overcame and is now my life to God.

I am dead to the world and alive to God by His Son that is birthed in me.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

It is no longer I who live, but Christ who liveth in me:

Phillip

2010/12/22 16:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy