Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Acts 5:1-11

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Acts 5:1-11

Quote:
But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laide it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thinge heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? And after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? Why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him. And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out. Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband. And great fear came upon as many as heard these things. -Acts 5:1-11

It is interesting the different phases you go through as a Christian. When I was a new believer, I read this and questioned Gods judgment. Now when I read it, years later...I wonder why he doesn't do it more often.

2010/12/11 1:12Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Acts 5:1-11

I saw a Ravenhill quote that said something to the effect of, "Remember, our God of love killed every person on the planet in a massive flood save eight."

2010/12/11 1:27Profile
Giggles

There are indeed interesting seasons or phases of the Christian walk. I found the similarity of your response to God's judgments to be both interesting and very real. We question God for certain reasons in the beginning and other reasons later, yet in both seasons, we question Him.

2010/12/11 2:31Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Touche'

Keen observation Giggles.

2010/12/11 10:18Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Hey Areadymind.

I have wondered the same thing from time to time and thought maybe it does happen and we just are unaware,but this was quite confrontational. It would be hard to miss this part of the "service" on Sunday.

It may be that we are not quite walking in that level of boldness and authority.

In our culture, somebody would probably get sued if that happened.

Good thought.

Ruf

2010/12/26 15:12Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

And yet, this severe judgment of God was an instrument of mercy and grace because it had a purifying effect in the church. Those who were merely professing believers dare not join the church and those who truly believed were added and the church grew mightily.

Oh for the infinite wisdom of God, His ways are beyond finding out.

Act 5:13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.

Act 5:14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)

2010/12/26 17:03Profile
Lesserlight

Re:

If we had today what the church back then had in the form of leaders filled with the power of the truth, we would see the same demonstrations of God's power that the early church did.

God does not change but the church today looks nothing like the church of the Apostles.......... Now is that God's fault or does the fault lie within the church?

Blessings

Doug

2010/12/26 17:27Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, 2 stories from an old man...during a time called the latter rein a man told a man in the balcony to come down and that God was going to use him in a great way and as he walked down the aisle a preacher in the back wispered to his wife that he had a pipe in his pocket and God would never use him. the minister who called the man down reeled around and told my friend to get what he said under the blood or die where he sat....the head of the bible college i attended was a pastor of a baptist church and received the baptism in the Holy Ghost which caused a women in the church to lie about him and told everyone he was a child molester... in a public meeting to discuss his resignation he said if it be true may i die on the spot but if false may the person responsible die on the spot which she imediately did.jimp

2010/12/26 19:51Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I hope this does not sound too cynical, but in my own mind when I asked this question, the response I instantly retort was something akin to...genocide. Ananias and Saphira were the exception to the rule back then...

2010/12/26 20:43Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

There are generations in which men draw near to God and God to men. These are times of revivals. In these times, God is quick to prevent any false testimonies towards Him. He alone is glorified. We have been given other examples similar to what happened in Acts 5.

Remember the time where Aaron's sons offered up strange fire?
Remember the time where Achan disobeyed God's instructions?
Remember the time where Moses struck the rock twice?

These were all times where God's presence was known by many. These were times where many turned and worshiped God. These are times where God does not permit false witness.

Likewise in other generations, where God's word is not heard, there is a less stringent demand upon that generation.

Remember the time of Eli and his sons. God allowed false witness to continue on for some time before He brought judgement upon Eli's sons.

Remember how God sent Isaiah to warn Israel and Judah three hundred years before Daniel and Ezekiel walked to Babylon.

Remember the time of Malachi and those generations that followed. God allowed 400 years to pass without a prophet for Israel. Israel suffered a drought of His word. Very few knew the Holy Spirit during those times. The nation of Israel created their own religion.

Revival or drought are the marks of God's hand upon each generation. How are we to judge the time we live in?

In Christ
Jeff

2010/12/26 21:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy