SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Just a thought from Oswald Chambers.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Just a thought from Oswald Chambers.

[b]The Undetected Sacredness of Circumstances[/b]

All things work together for good to them that love God. Romans 8:28

The circumstances of a saint’s life are ordained of God. In the life of a saint there is no such thing as chance. God by His providence brings you into circumstances that you cannot understand at all, but the Spirit of God understands. God is bringing you into places and among people and into conditions in order that the intercession of the Spirit in you may take a particular line. Never put your hand in front of the circumstances and say—“I am going to be my own providence here; I must watch this, and guard that.” All your circumstances are in the hand of God, therefore never think it strange concerning the circumstances you are in. Your part in intercessory prayer is not to enter into the agony of intercession, but to utilise the commonsense circumstances God puts you in, and the commonsense people He puts you amongst by His providence, to bring them before God’s throne and give the Spirit in you a chance to intercede for them: In this way God is going to sweep the whole world with His saints.

Am I making the Holy Spirit’s work difficult by being indefinite, or by trying to do His work for Him? I must do the human side of intercession, and the human side is the circumstances I am in and the people I am in contact with. I have to keep my conscious life as a shrine of the Holy Ghost, then as I bring the different ones before God, the Holy Spirit makes intercession for them.

Your intercessions can never be mine, and my intercessions can never be yours, but the Holy Ghost makes intercession in our particular lives, without which intercession someone will be impoverished.

Chambers, Oswald, My Utmost for His Highest, (United Kingdom: Marshall Morgan & Scott) c1927.

2004/11/7 3:38Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: The Undetected Sacredness of Circumstances

Hi Ron,

Is this in the right forum? :-P

2004/11/7 3:46Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

If it is posted in the wrong forum it is one of those circumstances of a saint’s life which are ordained of God.
It certainly relates to prayer, it certainly relates to current events.
Blessings upon those who read and prayerfully embrace the grace of the Lord.
Lars

2004/11/7 3:53Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi ZekeO

Quote:
Is this in the right forum?

Yes, I wasn't thinking in terms of discussion of a 'speaker/writer' but simply as a valuable insight into 'Intercession'.

2004/11/7 4:12Profile
ZekeO

Re: Does one size fit all?

I think that it belongs in the devotional forum, seeing as today is the 7 November.

The reason I ask, is because a while back I think Greg posted some valid info on this forum and a heated exchange erupted between some members, regarding the article. Your comment at the time was that this is not the forum for discussion. I agree, so in the light of your position are we allowed to discuss this topic or not? Not that I have much to add, Chambers stands alone. Its just what measuring rod are we using and is it the same length.

Also, someone may post a whole lot of stuff in here and cry foul when someone tries to comment, because this is not the forum for discussion but prayer and current events. What they say has got nothin to do with current events or prayer, but can hide behind the placard 'no discussion'.
If you don't respond then at least I know you are sticking to the unwriten rule of 'no discussion'.8-)
Thoughts,

2004/11/7 4:21Profile
ZekeO

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
I wasn't thinking in terms of discussion of a 'speaker/writer' but simply as a valuable insight into 'Intercession'.

Okay, Get the idea. :-?

2004/11/7 4:24Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

On this forum we heartily welcome an open discussion on current events, a discussion which should lead to prayer, Spirit-led prayer, intensified and effective prayer.
Discussion which does not result in agreed prayer may use other forums.
On this forum we would like energy and heat to be fuelling intercession.
Lars W.

2004/11/7 4:32Profile
ZekeO

Re:

Quote:

lwpray wrote:
On this forum we heartily welcome an open discussion on current events, a discussion which should lead to prayer, Spirit-led prayer, intensified and effective prayer.
Discussion which does not result in agreed prayer may use other forums.
On this forum we would like energy and heat to be fuelling intercession.

Great, at least you humored me and replied to my query. Lets build a bonfire!

I think that is one of things that I have been discovering of late is the reality that God wants to use us in his prayer for this world. It definitley elevates the concept of prayer to a new level when we realise that it is him, himself the blessed Spirit who works in us. It is the task of us saints to create an environment where he is able to dwell to be able to affect the passion for prayer. Those old time guys who spent much time in prayer, I think they just got on the bus and let Him drive. The challenge comes to give Him the time to work upon our souls to affect this heart of prayer upon us.

Blessings,

2004/11/7 4:44Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Unrivalled Power of Prayer

[b]The Unrivalled Power of Prayer[/b]

We know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

We realise that we are energised by the Holy Spirit for prayer; we know what it is to pray in the Spirit; but we do not so often realise that the Holy Spirit Himself prays in us prayers which we cannot utter. When we are born again of God and are indwelt by the Spirit of God, He expresses for us the unutterable.

“He,” the Spirit in you, “maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God,” and God searches your heart not to know what your conscious prayers are, but to find out what is the prayer of the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit of God needs the nature of the believer as a shrine in which to offer His intercession. “Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.” When Jesus Christ cleansed the temple, He “would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.” The Spirit of God will not allow you to use your body for your own convenience. Jesus ruthlessly cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and said—“My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.”

Have we recognised that our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost? If so, we must be careful to keep it undefiled for Him. We have to remember that our conscious life, though it is only a tiny bit of our personality, is to be regarded by us as a shrine of the Holy Ghost. He will look after the unconscious part that we know nothing of; but we must see that we guard the conscious part for which we are responsible.

Oswald Chambers: My Utmost for His Highest. Nov 8

2004/11/8 2:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy