SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is space infinite?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
fromtheold

South Africa

Is space infinite?

According to the bible "Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork."

God's glory has no end, so space should have no end as well? Its infinite.

I know some of you might think this is senseless blabber because there are more important things to think about than space but I think about this all the time.

So what do you think? Is there a end to space?

EDIT: I found this verse i forgot about

Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.

So if Jesus ascended up far above all heavens, where is that? Above space itself or is the bible speaking of a spiritual heavens?

2010/12/2 7:09Profile

Re: Is space infinite?

I've always assumed that space, since it's part of creation, like time, has a limit. But I haven't really based this on anything other than that. No real thoughts actually. I'm open to hearing what others think as well.

2010/12/2 8:27
HeartSong

So what is "space"? Does infinite only apply to size? Can infinite apply to how small something is? And then there are black holes, where "space" (or time) is somehow reversed - or at least changed. Do we occupy space, or does it occupy us? Or how about temperature - absolute zero...is there such a thing? What happens to matter when it reaches this temperature?

Oh the things of GOD! We can not even begin to imagine what heaven will be. It is very good to dwell upon these things for as you stated "Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork."

2010/12/2 9:18Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Like all theoretical science, understand that this is still just, and likely will continue to be...theory. It is still a pertinent article.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25492/

2010/12/2 9:33Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Wow, cosmology. Some of the latest Christian cosmology that I have read about comes out of ICR and Answers in Genesis. It suggests that the universe is finite and expanding. If the universe is synonymous with "space" then it appears it is finite. I think it must be since there is an infinite creator who made it. If "space" is the realm of God and the universe is a small subset of space, then that I guess space would have to be infinite.

2010/12/2 21:32Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Like I said, that cosmology was very theoretical, as is most of the cosmologies and astro-physical simulations from all spectrums. So much about astro-physics has seemingly hit a dead wall for a long time in science. There are so many unknowns. From creationist to evolutionist, there is a very limited pile of knowledge about our universe. And most of what we hear that comes across as dogma within that whole spectrum is still speculation and derivative, the advantage Christian scientists have...is obviously the book of Genesis.

I really liked that blog though, at least for right now it is a view that seems to hold some water, in my pitiful opinion.

For all of our knowledge and scientific understanding, the most brilliant minds in our world still do not even know what gravity is.

One of my absolute favorite passages in scripture is Psalm 19. I realized after a few years of being a Christian, that when I was young, the heavens preached the glory of God to me. I had a best friend who died when we were sixteen of a heart attack, but before he died, and before I ever "heard" the gospel preached, I remember that my friend Jeremy and I would go spend summer nights by a campfire, roasting nuts and sleeping under the stars. He lived on a large chunk of property without many trees outside the city, so we could see the heavens at night as if they had dipped down into the valley and scooped us into their inky embrace.

I can still almost remember as if it was yesterday the conflicting emotions and thoughts that would rattle my child mind which had hardly been scathed at that point with how men have robbed so many people of the mysteries of God. I would lay there completely conflicted. On the one hand, my mind attempted to wander from reach to reach, and I was confronted by the absolute insignificance I felt in the face of Space's infinity. On the other hand, I was conflicted because I knew almost as much as how insignificant I was in comparison to it all, that I was also some how significant. For some reason, I intuitively knew that I was even though I could not explain it at the time. Significant in the sense that, I now understand, as being loved by my Father in heaven. Who made all these things to show me how marvelous He is.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech. And night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

As a child, I had already heard this verse though I had never heard it in a language I understood with words, and I can honestly say that I was listening. The thought of it now, as a memory, brings tears to my eyes and makes me remember just how loving and magnanimous our Creator is to lavish us with such a gift.

2010/12/2 22:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy