SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Shopping revelations

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rainydaygirl

Shopping revelations

I have taken part every year in the annual Black Friday after Thanksgiving sales. I, like many others wanted to get a good deal and pick up a few things that were at discounted prices. Recently I was in the stores, which were really busy with pre black Friday sales and as I watched people hurrying about with carts full of things they don't really need it really began bothering me.Everyone was so determined to get their "stuff". As I looked around I thought about my own purchase, a DVD. It was not the DVD itself that was bothering me but the thought that here I was about to spend 15.00 on this "thing" that was most likely going to sit on a shelf and collect dust. I might watch it once, when I have time other wise it will sit there...I began thinking how many other purchases have I made that are like that? How many times have I gone in with the thought of "I need this" when I really don't? I began thinking about all the other people in the store, buying things that they don't really need just so we can all have things sitting on our shelves...

I keep thinking that my real treasures are in Heaven and could never be bought at any sale no matter how good the "deal" is...This Friday I am thinking I will do something else

rdg

2010/11/23 7:37Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Shopping revelations

Sometimes, something hits us, opens our eyes, and make us reflect on life.

We will spend money on DVD's, cd's etc.

Would we send the same amount to a missionary?

The individual has to fill in the blank.

This life is so fleeting and passing. Yet we persue it more than we do God.

God is a jealous God.

Remember that.

2010/11/23 7:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Shopping revelations

Good post rdg.

All these sales do is entice you to the store in the hopes you will make lots of impulsive purchases, things you do not need.

Unless the store is selling something I do not need I do not even bother to go. You know what? They advertise about how much money you will save by buying their product - well, you save a whole lot more by not buying it at all! No-brainer, I know, but how long does it take for folks to realize this?

It is all about materialism - promoting the concept that stuff satisfies...and it will for a short period of time until the newest wears off and you need another fix.

I have found the best buys when I asked the LORD to assist me in my purchases. :-)

ginnyrose

2010/11/23 8:15Profile

Re:

great insight! Yes, I just went through a spending binge and I'm a guy.(bought computer and guitar related stuff) But I was living so tight for almost a year.

Most of the stuff we buy, we don't want it the second we buy it. It will sit there collecting dust. But we will never give it away.... wow I am evil.

2010/11/23 18:05
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
wow I am evil.

Don't be too hard on yourself - sometimes doing stupid things is the only way one learns.

ginnyrose

2010/11/23 18:16Profile

Re:

Quote:
Don't be too hard on yourself - sometimes doing stupid things is the only way one learns.

I was semi joking. I should've said it like this

"wow I am evil....haha"

but now I understand how evil our nature is. Never really did get that before.

2010/11/23 18:26
MaryJane

Re:

enid wrote

Quote:
We will spend money on DVD's, cd's etc. Would we send the same amount to a missionary?

Wow this really hit home with me!! Very convicting and revealing truth in that question.

ginnyrose wrote
Quote:
I have found the best buys when I asked the LORD to assist me in my purchases. :-)

________

Amen to that ginnyrose! I am one of those who has had to learn the hard way but I am thankful that God does not give up on me. I am also thankful that He is helping me to learn and grow in this area:)

God bless
maryjane

2010/11/23 19:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy