SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Paul Washer Walks off of Stage at TMC

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: It's not about the messenger but about the message

I watched the Video of Paul Washer preaching. Wow! Honestly, I was NOT left thinking about Paul, but about God and the costly sacrifice of his Son.

Perhaps the title of this thread could be changed to one that directs our eyes to what God did rather than what Paul did(which was hardly anything worth mentioning, never mind drawing our attention to).

The sermon stirred me deeply, as I ponder on God's love for me. It is one of the most beautiful sermons I have ever heard in my life.

I hope you all get a chance to watch it!

Diane

2010/11/24 22:44Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

Elected had a good point there. Leonard Ravenhill was definitely a "herald" preacher who cried out against the sins of his day while someone like D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones was certainly expository. Some people are both, it just depends on what they are preaching against.

2010/11/24 23:39Profile
rookie

Re:

May I suggest this thought, for I have known some of The Master's College people.

Phl 3:8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Phl 3:9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law,

"not having my own righteousness, which is from the law"

2010/11/25 7:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
used this emotional act as part of his sermon to affect the audience of how serious the Gospel is.

Do you consider his emotion as a mere act, used to emphasize his points?

ginnyrose

2010/11/25 8:24Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The sermon stirred me deeply, as I ponder on God's love for me. It is one of the most beautiful sermons I have ever heard in my life.

At last, something I can relate to. I echo the same sentiments sister. This was a most beautiful message - it was a profoundly sobering and deadly serious contemplation of God's cost for our redemption. I too wish more could just hear it (and discuss it) while disengaging from the externalities of the preacher.

2010/11/25 9:01Profile
RainMan

Re:

Emotions are not bad. The problem is were people connect with emotions and not the word of God. False teachers employ this strategy to deceive people by pulling at their heart strings i.e. marriage, finances, health and fulfillment etc a heart that is not content will be easily led astray by covetousness ("by a mans own lust is he enticed").

I do not agree with everything washer teaches as sometimes his "emotions" make him seem less exegetical than he should be. But i like most of his stuff regardless (except where i feel like he is trying to ram Calvinist views down my throat)

What i would say is washer has a passion for God and his people and this leads to what people perceive to be emotionalism.

My wife burst into tears yesterday after seeing people in the news that died in a stampede. When i saw the news earlier i didnt have the same emotions. It doesnt mean that i love less, i just believe people display passion or zeal in different manners.

2010/11/25 9:03Profile
roadsign

Re:

I admit, in my earlier post I suggested that we restore the focus onto what Paul would have wished: God (not Paul). Yet it occurred to me that the person IS important. God shines through broken clay jars – where the fruit of the Spirit is evident: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

If we learn to be accurate fruit inspectors, then I think we can answer Ginnyrose’s question:

QUESTION: Do you consider his emotion as a mere act, used to emphasize his points?

After listening to his sermon, I would conclude that his emotions were not manipulative, nor did they arise from a false “self”. His emotions correspond to what is genuine. They did not rule him; the Spirit did. He seems to be a Spirit- filled person - the result of a process that, no doubt, has involved suffering and forgiveness. (I’d love to know his life story) He has a great capacity to know God and know God’s heart. That’s where he is. He was quietly weeping with God. He left with God’s love burning in his soul. That’s the message, I perceived.

QUOTE: it just depends on what they are preaching against.

“against”?
I suspect that I was stirred by Paul W’s sermon because he was so fixed on God - rather than the thing he was “against”. Paul invigorated my hope in God. Without knowing much about Paul, I got the impression that his entire life perspective is focused on the love of God in his Son. Paul was FOR the goodness of God. As he said, it is the goodness of God that changes people.

More ramblings:
This, I think is where evangelists and preachers are easily misjudged. They are evaluated by how hard they preach “against” something. The stronger, the better! But let’s remember, that appeals to our fleshly indulgence. Our flesh likes power, and our flesh is excited by brute force against the perceived evils. History proves that propensity to be true on a very large scale – and with most grievous outcomes. There have been countless angry and manipulative preachers and causes.

Jonathan Edwards is famed for his sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”. But what is far less known is his life – his personal and spiritual life, and his love for the sinner. He was centered on the goodness of God. Edwards had the love of God burning in his heart – and so his message rang true. Many have tried to copy his style, but they were merely sounding gongs, and their message did not ring true. They imitated Edwards’ (perceived) style, not his heart.

Diane

2010/11/25 9:13Profile
YHLives

Re:

I can't stand watching people cry. When it is on tv, I switch channels. On the big screen, I look at something else. Paul Washer tends to get teary eyed when it comes to the cross. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a11ASw5NRUw

However, I love to watch Paul Washer preach, because I love to watch and hear the preaching of Christ crucified. That which Paul does a lot, and emphatically. Yet, each time I watch him preach the cross, I can't stand him, but I bask in the glory of Christ on the cross in the message. Then the cycle repeats.

Glory to Jesus Christ. What a saviour.

Cheers.

2010/11/25 13:45Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the word against is a sign of what the real problem is in the church body today.the GOOD NEWS is a very positive thing.we are not to major on darkness;but simply be the light. we are not to be the critics of the world but light of the world.we are to be salt not arsenic.i am so tired of the negativity and the haughty sourness of christians.why in the world would you want to join a bunch of negative vultures with no mercy,no love,no joy and no idea of the Love of God.the sermon was a great sermon and when Jesus died it was finished.........jimp how great a love for us that God would pour out His wrath on His only Son for the total payment for our sins.Jesus died on that cross for the JOY set before Him:His church.there is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

2010/11/25 19:29Profile
jimp

Re:

bump

2010/11/25 19:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy