SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine :  Doctrine on Prophetic Mantle

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The function of the prophetic calling in each testament is essentially the same. To prophesy is simply to "speak on behalf of another." The prophet in his utterances has always actively declared the mind and heart of God, faithfully speaking whatever words God "put in his mouth," as the Lord prompted Him, according to the need of the moment.

The only real difference in the prophetic ministry is that Old Testament prophets simply had a different perspective: they were speaking in light of the coming Messiah. In the New Testament, they are declaring the word of the Lord in light of the Messiah who has come, and the fullness of revelation that accompanied His life, death, resurrection, ascension, and soon-coming reign.

But the prophetic ministry function is the same. If it were not, we would call New Testament prophets another name. But we don't call them something other than what they are, for what they are stands in unbroken continuum with all who came before. They are prophets, and those who came before them under the previous covenants were also prophets. Why? Because they prophesied.

2010/11/26 13:17Profile
davidc

France

Re: old and new testament prophets

Travis, you write about OT prophets

"This foretelling was broad as it dealt with nations, kingdoms, Christ's coming,and the end times. I believe that this function has been completed for the most part. Much of what the OT prophets said was canonized. Not so for NT prophets."

We often forget that one of the greatest prophets of the new testament (besides Christ) was John the apostle. The book of Revelation is the prophesy that God gave to His son Jesus, and revealed it through His servant John. John in this book lays aside his apostolic and pastoral calling to become a prophet for His Lord. Throughout the book, he identifies with his fellow servants, the prophets and his brethren which have the testimony of Jesus Christ -see ch19 v10 and 22 v 8 to 10.

The Holy Spirit uses John, not as a teacher, but as a prophet. He brings together in his prophecy all the unfulfilled prophecies concerning Christ, which the old testament prophets had declared, to show what must be in the last days.

Christ is not seen here as Head over His Body, but as one who judges. In Chapters 2 and 3 as one who judges the hearts in the midst of the churches, and in chapters 4 to 20, as judging the nations and kings.

The old testament prophets too were sent when Israel had turned away from the Lord to declare His judgement on sin and also His remedy for sin in sending the Messiah (Christ).

I believe that this is a key role of the prophet in speaking of judgement. If we have prophets today in the church, it is a clear indication to us that we as His people have fallen away from our first love.

May we all find repentance before Christ if this is the case, so that He may restore us to Himself and to His High calling.

David

2010/11/26 19:19Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
We often forget that one of the greatest prophets of the new testament (besides Christ) was John the apostle. The book of Revelation is the prophesy that God gave to His son Jesus, and revealed it through His servant John.

David: You are absolutely right brother. I did not mean to imply that no NT prophet ever fulfills that function, but rather that if we look at the prophet in the OT and the prophet in the NT, as a general rule we find little foretelling of future events dealing with nations, kingdoms, etc. compared to what we see in the OT. It seems the major thrust of the function of the prophet has shifted. But then again I guess it is possible that those things in the OT were so "earth-shattering" so to speak that they were recorded and I get this idea simply from what is recorded and what is not recorded. It just seems to me that the function has shifted somewhat.

2010/11/27 8:50Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re: Doctrine on Prophetic Mantle

Actually depends on what the Hebrew or Greek for "mantle" is. Mostly translated mantle actually refers to tallit

2010/11/27 9:15Profile

Re: The Watchman's duty.

The primary anointing and call..[mantle] of the prophetic is to turn people away from death to life; from sin to holiness, AND ALL THAT THIS ENTAILS.

EZEKIEL 33

11. "Say to them, As I live!' declares the Lord GOD, 'I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live.

Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?"
FROM DEATH TO LIFE!

JEREMIAH 15
Therefore, thus says the LORD,
19. If you return, then I will restore you--
(Before Me you will stand;
And if you extract the precious from the worthless,
You will become My spokesman.
They for their part may turn to you,
But as for you, you must not turn to them.

20. "Then I will make you to this people
A fortified wall of bronze;
And though they fight against you,
They will not prevail over you

Extracting life from the death that most are drowning in, THE PRECIOUS FROM THE VILE, is preaching the Word to repent toward God, and live.

This is the ministry of all the prophets, the Apostles, and our Lord Jesus. This is the "anointed mantle", and yes, some are called in a more direct way, such as apostles or prophets today.

It doesn't mean that they bear any more fruit than anyone else, or are above anyone; just a more direct battle line serving God. I think that there is misery involved in these callings.

2010/11/27 11:26
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Brothertom:

Not sure I would say it is THE primary function, but this is definitely a very important and necessary function of a NT prophet. Being anointed to bring correction to the body where necessary is also a function, although some have taken it on themselves to do this in the flesh with destructive results. But when it comes through a prophet as the true word of the Lord, it is proper and can really help the body.

2010/11/27 17:19Profile
davidc

France

Re:

"But when it comes through a prophet as the true word of the Lord, it is proper and can really help the body."

Travis, I agree, and of course, the true purpose of all the gifts of the Holy Spirit to the church is to edify, exhort and comfort the body.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. 1 Cor 14:2-5 (KJV)

And in Ephesians

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Eph 4:11-12 (KJV)

Spiritual discernment is always needed, and given freely to the saints, and sometimes (as brothertom says) extracting the precious from the vile. But a true test of the spirit of prophesy is to ask whether it edifies, comforts and exhorts, because these are the works that Christ now does in His body through the Holy Spirit.

David

2010/11/27 18:06Profile

Re: Overcoming victory through holiness....Turning back to God's heart...

"Not sure I would say it is THE primary function, but this is definitely a very important and necessary function of a NT prophet."..........twayneb

By primary I mean that the Lord is constantly drawing people back to himself, and His heart; back to life. Life is a Person.

If we consider the great prophetic Word in the bible, the Revelation of Jesus Himself, by John:

Revelation 3
"These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.

2. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.

3. Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and REPENT!. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.

5. He who OVERCOMES shall be clothed in white garments, and I will NOT blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. [ That is, for those who overcome by repentance...]

6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’

Over and over REPENT....Back to God...and almost all of the churches ....Repent!...back to God.

I see Jeremiah, Elijah, Moses and all of the rest of the prophets and Apostles saying the same. Yes there is comfort and hope and building up, along with tearing down, but unless there is a willingness to repent, to turn back to God with the whole heart, it is all in vain.

To me, it overshadows everything else.

2010/11/27 20:51
davidc

France

Re:

Amen Brothertom to your message and call to repentance

But repentance is not enough unless it is accompanied by Faith. And it is faith in Christ which is the victory that overcomes the world.

Christ came into this world and they cucified Him. Now for us who believe, and are crucified to the world, we have eternal inheritance through the resurrection af Christ.

"He who OVERCOMES shall be clothed in white garments, and I will NOT blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels."
You write "That is, for those who overcome by repentance"

But it is only by faith in His completed work that we overcome. We can rest in this and let Him take all the glory.

I know there are Sardis-like and Laodicean-like churches present at this time, and this is a sure sign that it is the last times. But I believe we have, even among the seven apostate churches of Revelation, a model to aspire to in our hearts, in the church of little strength, in Philadelphia (brotherly love)

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 3:7-13)

Unto Him that has loved us; Come quickly

David

2010/11/28 18:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy