Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Attributes of God by Andrew Murray 2

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Madefree

Alabama

Attributes of God by Andrew Murray 2

2. God the Father

By Andrew Murray

“Baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” (Mt 28:19)

We should remember that the doctrine of the Holy Trinity has a deep devotional aspect. As we think of
God we remember the inconceivable distance that separates Him in His holiness from sinful men, and
we bow in deep contrition and holy fear. As we think of Christ the Son, we remember the inconceivable
nearness in which He came to be born of a woman, a daughter of Adam, dying the accursed death,
inseparably joined to us to all eternity. And as we think of the Holy Spirit we remember the
inconceivable blessedness of God in making us His home and His temple through eternity.

When Christ taught us to say, “Our Father, who are in heaven,” He immediately added, “Hallowed be
thy name.” As God is holy, we are to be holy. And there is no way of becoming holy but by counting
that name most holy and drawing near to Him in prayer.

How often we speak that name without any sense of the unspeakable privilege of our relation to God. If
we would just take time to come into contact with God and to worship Him in His fatherly love, how
the inner chamber would become to us the gate of heaven.

When you pray to your Father in secret, bow very low before Him and adore His Name as most holy.
Remember that this is the highest blessedness of prayer.

“Pray to your father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you” (Mt. 5:6)

What an unspeakable privilege, to be alone with God in secret, to say, “My Father”; to know He has
seen me in secret and will reward me openly. Take time until you can say, “I have seen God face to
face, and yet my life is preserved” (Gn 32:30)

From the 6-month Devotional "Every Day" with Andrew Murray

2010/11/16 12:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy