SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Doctrine Matters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I am not advocating here, in case there is any misunderstanding, cold and dead orthodoxy, or absolute perfection in doctrine. The purpose of this exhortation is simply to say what I said, that doctrine does matter, and we should pursue it. One need not have perfect doctrine to follow Christ and be soundly saved, nor do we have to agree on all points of doctrine to have real Biblical fellowship with one another.

But, soundly saved people who have a real relationship with the Lord also have sound doctrine. Sound doctrine and a personal relationship with the Lord DO go hand in hand. The true worshipers of God must worship in spirit and in truth. Our relationship with the Lord is something that is ultimately grounded in actual and factual doctrinal truth.

2010/11/13 12:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
The true worshipers of God must worship in spirit and in truth. Our relationship with the Lord is something that is ultimately grounded in actual and factual doctrinal truth.

Tis' true.

2010/11/13 12:54

Re: Why Doctrine Matters

Jimmy,

I like your insight into that story, and couldn't agree with you more. I so understand the argument against such a focus on doctrine (I used to assert it myself) but I do not think it is a biblical complaint. The very fact that we have a written Word, seems to imply, from God's point of view, that doctrine really does matter. Yes, Jesus Christ is the Living Word, but the Father gave us a book that describes the objective facts of who He is and What He came to accomplish.

If we stop preaching and teaching every single week (and sometimes 2 and 3 times per week) and just pray and do good works, then we can say that doctrine does not matter. But week after week in church buildings and homes all over this world men and women are teaching. They are telling people who God is, and what the life of a Christian is, and what sin is, and what the Gospel is, and what the purpose of God is, etc. Even folks who say doctrine does not really matter, teach and preach facts about God all the time, and that is doctrine. If we are going to open our bibles and explain anything, then doctrine is unavoidable. I'm with Jimmy, let's get it right.

One last thing: Look at Luke 24. The two men on the road to Emmaus were discussing what happened to Jesus and the rumors about Him being raised from the dead and what that meant for them and Israel. (Doctrine) The only problem is, their conclusions about what happened were wrong, and they had no joy; they were miserable. Then Jesus came along, and pulled them aside and TAUGHT them what the bible (OT) really said. Yes, Jesus (The Living Word) was right there in their midst, and even He used the bible (the written word). He taught them correct doctrine, and their hearts burned within them. They worshipped. They were fellowshipping with Him by way of a correct understanding of the Old Testament.

We can rail against sin and apathy in the church all day long, but I will tell you this, joyless christians will sin, and fight with each other and fight with their wives, and be consumed with themselves, and be absolutely apathetic.

Jesus did not rail against these joyless complaining believers. He took the time to take them aside and teach them what the bible actually said. He preached the Good News to them. He empowered them and broke bread with them, and what was the result......they wanted more.

Sorry Jimmy, I am a bit passionate about this topic....a bit verbose I think,.

2010/11/13 14:47
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amen, well said.

2010/11/13 14:57Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

I am reminded of something William Gurnall wrote in commenting on the verse, "Having your loins girt about with truth" (Eph. 6:14).

[Truth of Doctrine as a Girdle for the Mind.]

We shall begin with truth of doctrine, or truth of the word, called ‘the word of truth,’ Eph. 1:13, because it is the word of God, who is God of truth. It behoves every Christian to be well girt with this truth. ‘Resist the devil,’ saith Peter, ‘steadfast in the faith,’ I Peter 5:9; that is, in the truth—faith being there put for the object of our faith, which is the truth of God, declared in the doctrine of the gospel. This is ‘the faith which was once delivered to the saints,’ Jude 3; that is, the truth delivered to them to be believed and held fast. And of what importance it is to be thus steadfast in the faith, the apostle Peter, in the following verse of the fore-mentioned place, shows, by his vehement and earnest praying for them, that God would ‘stablish, strengthen, and settle them.’ The heaping of words to the same purpose, implies the great danger they were in of being unsettled by Satan and his instruments, and the necessity of their standing firm and unshaken in the faith. Nothing is more frequently inculcated than this in the Epistles; and the more, because in those blustering times it was impossible to have kept the faith from being blown from them, without this girdle to hold it fast. Now, as there is a double design Satan hath to rob Christians of truth, so there is a twofold girding about with this truth necessary. first, Satan comes as a serpent in the persons of false teachers, and by them labours to put a cheat on us, and cozen[1] us with error for truth. To defend us against this design, it is necessary we be girt with truth in our understanding—that we have an established judgement in the truths of Christ. second, Satan comes sometimes as a lion in the persons of bloody persecutors, and labours to scare Christians from the truth with fire and faggot. Now to defend us against this, we need to have truth girt about us, so that with a holy resolution we may maintain our profession in the face of death and danger.

2010/11/13 15:42Profile

Re:

Doctrine is a sticky matter amongst those that are weary of hearing and seeing debates and arguments that may or may not amount to a hill of beans.

Yes doctrine is certainly important, but which ones?

Is the doctrine of predestination important?

There is a lot of people that think that growing tulips is very important, to them that doctrine is necessary.

Doctrine is only important if we are doing the will of God.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

The answer to this verse is found just after this verse in verse 19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet NONE OF YOU KEEPETH THE LAW?

I am not able to draw out the fullness of these passages, more learned brethren can, but there is a truth here that I see, but unable to express in text. Sorry.

2010/11/13 18:17
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: doctrine

I believe in the 'doctrine' that the Bible speaks of: the doctrine of Christ:

2 Jo 1:9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the teaching of Christ does not have God. He who abides in his doctrine has both the Father and the Son.
2 Jo 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not welcome him to your house, neither bid him to eat...

But sadly, religious sects of the church have hijacked that doctrine (edit: like the above verses) and made it into the "Baptist" doctrine, the "Church of God" doctrine, the "Catholic" doctrine, the "Church of God in Prophecy" doctrine, etc.

It's so sad that the majority of Christians don't know the doctrine of Christ!

God bless,
Lisa

2010/11/13 18:30Profile

Fundamentalism versus Apostasy.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/playpopup.asp?SID=6863

2010/11/13 19:08

Re:

Quote:
I believe in the 'doctrine' that the Bible speaks of: the doctrine of Christ:

Amen, Lysa.

2010/11/13 19:13
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

This topic hits home to me in a number of ways. I came out of believing in the word of faith, prosperity doctrines of demons. I was a born again believer who was being deceived it was hindering my walk to say the least. I am so thankful for men like Hank Hanagraff and John MacArthur who passionately spoke out against that deception and exposed it for what it was. The Lord used these men to open my eyes and set me free through His truth in His Word.

On the flip side, I am grieved when I see Christians breaking fellowship over non-essentials. If we believe in the essentials there is no reason why we should not be able to fellowship as brethren from the same family of God in Christ.

I agree with Jimmy that doctrine is important. The NT is filled with admonishions to know correct doctrine. It is good to discuss and let iron sharpen iron. The key is knowing what is essential, and discussing in the right spirit of Christian love.

2010/11/13 23:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy