SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Doctrine Matters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Why Doctrine Matters

Why Doctrine Matters

by

Jimmy Humphrey

So it came about in the morning that, behold, it was Leah! And he said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Was it not for Rachel that I served with you? Why then have you deceived me?” (Genesis 29:25; NASB)

There are some people in Evangelical circles today who are so spiritual that they’ve declared, doctrine doesn’t really matter. All that matters to them is having a personal relationship with Jesus. Whether a doctrine is true or not doesn’t really matter to these brethren. All that matters is knowing Jesus. Such is the spirit of our age.

But if I could, I would just like to make a little observation from a story in the life of Jacob. Jacob, if you recall, was madly in love with a girl named Rachel. He agreed to serve Laban, Rachel’s father, for seven years, if only at the end of those seven years he could take Rachel to be his wife. Well, seven years of service came and went, and Jacob took Rachel to be his wife. But when Jacob woke up the next morning, he discovered the woman he was with was not the woman whom he had served Laban for. Instead, it was another woman altogether, Leah. Jacob had been married to the wrong woman.

What is one thing we can learn from this little story? At the end of the day, the truth really does matter. Indeed, if your personal relationship with the Lord is not grounded in the truth, like Jacob, one day when you wake up, you may discover that after all your years of service, that you were married to the wrong person altogether.

http://christthinks.com/2010/11/13/why-doctrine-matters/

2010/11/12 23:49Profile

Re: Why Doctrine Matters

Then, there are those who when they first meet you, subject you to their "spiritual interview". Instead of getting to know you, they "check you out" to make sure all your beliefs line up with theirs so they can determine if you are worthy of their fellowship.

I always seem to flunk those interviews.

2010/11/13 0:43
Wordizlife

Re:

Quote:
Then, there are those who when they first meet you, subject you to their "spiritual interview". Instead of getting to know you, they "check you out" to make sure all your beliefs line up with theirs so they can determine if you are worthy of their fellowship. I always seem to flunk those interviews.

I knew someone like that, and most people found him to be quite annoying

2010/11/13 0:45Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, if you had to agree with all the doctrine i have in my heart;you certainly would not fellowship with me.i try to use wisdom around the bible school students so they will not leave or have me thrown out.i will not argue over any doctrine save for Jesus and Him crucified and if you beleive in the message of the cross then we can fellowship.jimp

2010/11/13 3:05Profile

ugh

2010/11/13 10:29
earle777

Re:

yes and let's see the living waters of The Christ!

2010/11/13 10:44Profile

Re:

Quote:
I will not argue over any doctrine save for Jesus and Him crucified and if you believe in the message of the cross then we can fellowship.jimp

Amen!

2010/11/13 10:59
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

We should remember it was Laban that deceived Jacob. The parallel NT scripture for this I suppose could be 1 Thessalonians 2:11, if we keep the whole in context with Jimmy's exegetical illustration. I do like what Jimmy is putting forth here.

I would remind readers however that the Holy Spirit always leads God's handmaidens to Christ in all sobriety and is not a tricky Laban. Doctrine does matter (II Tim. 3:16; I Tim. 4:6, 16), though in the end, it is Christ who saves and not correct doctrine. One can have correct doctrine and be spiritually dead, as we often see. In fact, men who had the straightest doctrine of all were the very ones who handed Jesus Christ over to Pilate.

If a person has the Spirit of Christ, God Himself will take care of all the doctrinal details eventually and internally. Many believers who have had a genuine new birth are yet in imperfect doctrine, but God is slowly working on them, bringing them unto perfection, smoothing out the rough edges, and forming within them the divine nature of His Son with much patience and love.

Fortuantely, the story didn't stop with Leah; Jacob labored some more and eventually married the apple of his eye, Rachel. But amazingly it was through Judah (Jacob and Leah's 4th son) in which God chose to manifest Himself to the world, and not through a son of Rachel. His ways are not ours dear brethen. If a man walk honestly and humbly before God, even though his doctrine be not totally sound, the Spirit of Christ can still manifest unto the blessing of generations.

2010/11/13 11:30Profile

(reconsidered, withdrawn)

2010/11/13 11:36

Re:

Quote:

One can have correct doctrine and be spiritually dead, as we often see. In fact, men who had the straightest doctrine of all were the very ones who handed Jesus Christ over to Pilate.

If a person has the Spirit of Christ, God Himself will take care of all the doctrinal details eventually and internally. Many believers who have had a genuine new birth are yet in imperfect doctrine, but God is slowly working on them, bringing them unto perfection, smoothing out the rough edges, and forming within them the divine nature of His Son with much patience and love.

Double Amen!! Wish more could see this.

2010/11/13 11:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy