SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Canadian PM: I Will Defend Israel 'whatever the cost'

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Canadian PM: I Will Defend Israel 'whatever the cost'

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE OF THE CANADIAN PRIME-MINISTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUfFdhIOoQM

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Politics/20...
Ottawa, Canada - Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he is prepared to suffer any political backlash that comes his way for speaking out against anti-Israel rhetoric.

Harper told an audience Monday that while Israel is receptive to fair criticism, Canada is obligated to stand up for its ally when it comes under attack from others.

"Not just because it is the right thing to do, but because history shows us, and the ideology of the anti-Israel mob tell us all too well, that those who threaten the existence of the Jewish people are in the longer term a threat to all of us."

The prime minister acknowledged that his position is not popular with all governments and organizations, including members of the United Nations and the Francophonie.

"And I know, by the way, because I have the bruises to show for it, that whether it is at the United Nations or any other international forum, the easiest thing to do is simply to just get along and go along with this anti-Israel rhetoric, to pretend it is just about being even-handed, and to excuse oneself with the label of honest broker.

"There are, after all, a lot more votes—a lot more—in being anti-Israeli than in taking a stand. But as long as I am prime minister, whether it is at the United Nations, the Francophonie or anywhere else, Canada will take that stand, whatever the cost."

The prime minister's use of the phrase "honest broker" is an apparent reference to a recent speech made by Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff.

Ignatieff criticized the Harper government for using Israel as a wedge issue with his political opponents in Canada, at the expense of the country's influence on peace in the Middle East. The Liberal leader called for a return to a time when Canada was perceived to be an honest broker in the global community.

Harper made his remarks at the start of a two-day conference on anti-Semitism that is being held on Parliament Hill during Holocaust Education Week.

2010/11/12 10:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Canadian PM: I Will Defend Israel 'whatever the cost'

I am very excited as a Christian to have this man as our prime-minister. He is a born-again Christian and its great to see a stand for righteousness. If you are canadian consider supporting the conserative party in these times by becoming a member: http://www.conservative.ca/ (just $10 a year).

And write a letter to stephen harpur to encourage him in this decision:
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/contact.asp

2010/11/12 10:23Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Greg, can you show us from Scripture, please, where Christians are counseled to become involved in politics the way you are suggesting?

2010/11/12 10:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I am just advocating that Christians should write a letter or give an approval of such a strong position. There is absolutely no place in the bible that says we should not vote and I think it is reasonable to encourage the prime minister from time to time to let him know that we as christians are praying for Him.

Praying for the leaders of your country is biblical and commanded.

2010/11/12 10:58Profile
Lotis

Re:

I am not Canadian but im pretty close (I can see Canada from my apartment on the coast of Michigan's thumb, eh). When I worked at Target at my local mall probably about half our customers were Canadian so I know quite a few and I must say, I think its great what the PM said.

If I were Canadian I would want to encourage my PM as you said Greg. Thanks for sharing this, the days are dark but our king just happens to be the Father of Heavenly Lights, we should not worry about darkness with a name like that ;) If this man is our brother, then I think it would really please the Father to see other brothers and sisters encourage him, build him up saints!

2010/11/12 11:23Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

To clarify I believe in the kingdom of God of which we are a part of. And our concern should be for that kingdom and not at all really the kingdoms of the earth.

2010/11/12 11:32Profile
dougr777

Re:

Matthew 5:13 (King James Version)

13Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

2010/11/12 11:55Profile
iceman9

New York

Re:

ADisciple

The Bible says in both Psalm 24:1 & 1 Cor. 10:26 that the “For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof”

In Daniel 2:21 is says that God removes kings and setteth up kings.

And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:

To imply that God has nothing to do with politics is ridicules. We need to pray for the leaders in our nations. Pray that God would raise up Godly leaders before us.

We understand that we cannot legislate morality; and the church was never told to take over government. We are to go to all the world and preach the gospel and make disciples of all men.

Therefor we need godly people in every walk of life; there standing up for godly living based on Biblical principles. We need God-fearing, Bible believing, Holy Spirit filled people preaching the truth of Gods Word to their peers.

We need Christian politicians, doctors, lawyers, computer programmers, university professors, teachers, carpenters, plumbers, truck drivers… etc.etc.etc.

We need Godly people in every place in our culture to stand up what is right and tell a culture what is right and that Jesus Christ should be glorified in our nations.

We cannot just hide in our churches and let the world go to Hell saying that “we are not supposed to get involved in that”. Baloney! This earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof and we should not let our culture continue to blasphemy the Lord. We need to stand up for what is right. Pray that God would save those in leadership over our nation or raise up others that are.

We will never vote in a Christian Utopia, but I will not stand by and see my country and culture mock my God. Where are the Elijah’s of God???

In 1 Thessalonians Paul comments that they sent Timothy to “comfort you concerning your faith”.

(1 Thessalonians 3:2 And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith)

There is absoultly nothing wrong with Greg suggesting that we write a letter to encourage the PM in making righteous decisions. If this is a Christian brother he needs our prayers and encouragement not our silence. He will be under great attack. If all he hears from is the negative and never encouragement from his brothers and sisters he will leave and think that the Christians just don’t care.

The real question is my brother:

Can you show us in scripture where writing an encouraging letter to a Christian or anyone who makes righteous decisions for our countries is wrong?

2010/11/12 12:23Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
Can you show us in scripture where writing an encouraging letter to a Christian or anyone who makes righteous decisions for our countries is wrong?

I didn't mean to start this debate again; I think it's been dealt with not once or twice on this forum.

There's nothing at all wrong with sending an encouraging letter to Mr. Harper. I myself am Canadian, and we are exhorted to pray for him and others in authority.

Quote:
We will never vote in a Christian Utopia, but I will not stand by and see my country and culture mock my God. Where are the Elijah’s of God???

I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not it's right for a Christian to vote or not. But what are you going to do to see that your country and culture stop mocking God?

You ask where the Elijah's of God are. But Elijah didn't join Ahab's government in order to try to change things.

He went to his knees. And then he came on the scene and told Ahab it wasn't going to rain unless he said so. Where did he get authority like that? From God.

"As the LORD God of Israel liveth before whom I stand there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word" (1 Kings 17.1).

Daniel as well. He actually was involved in the government. But when he realized the time for Israel's return from Babyloninan captivity was nigh, he didn't go to Cyrus the king about it.

Read Daniel Ch. 9. He went to his knees.

...I wish we Christians would realize-- can't we see it-- that our involvement in earthly politics, membership in political parties, etc.... it isn't doing the job! Yes I know, Christians have got things done that way at times. Wilberforce is a prime example.

But... can't we see? It isn't doing what needs to be done in our day! A blind man can see that!

We need to see the reality of the kind of "politics" the apostles were involved in, and the early church, so that a Higher Throne is manifested in the earth. THAT is what the church is supposed to be all about.

Don't you believe the Lord Jesus Christ can raise up men like that, a church like that... Elijah's like that?

2010/11/12 15:06Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
To clarify I believe in the kingdom of God of which we are a part of. And our concern should be for that kingdom and not at all really the kingdoms of the earth.

Amen.

2010/11/12 15:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy