Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Holiness of God by Andrew Murray

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Madefree

Alabama

The Holiness of God by Andrew Murray

The Holiness of God in the Old Testament

By Andrew Murray

“Be ye holy, for I am holy. . .Be holy; for I the Lord your God am holy,” (Lv 11:45; 19:2 see also
20:7, 8, 15, 23; 22:9, 16)

Nine times these words are repeated in Leviticus. Israel had to learn that as holiness is the highest and most glorious attribute of God, so it must be the marked characteristic of his people. He who could know God aright, and meet him in secret, must above all desire to be holy as he is holy. The priests who were to have access to God had to be set apart for a life of holiness.
Even so also the prophet who was to speak for Him. “I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and
lifted up. . .The seraphim called to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts' ” (Is 6:1-3) The voice of adoration; bow in deep reverence.
“And I said: Woe is me! For I am lost. . .for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts,: (v.5) The voice of a broken, contrite heart.
Then one of the sereaphim touched his mouth with a live coal from off the altar and said: “Your guilt is taken from you, and your sin is forgiven” (v. 7) The voice of grace and full redemption.
Then follows the voice of God: “Whom shall I send?” And the willing answer is, “Here am I, send me.” Pause with holy fear, and ask God to reveal Himself as the Holy One.
“For thus says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit” (Is 57:15)
Be still and worship God in His great glory and in that deep condescension in which He longs and offers to dwell with us and in us.
If you would meet your Father in secret, bow low and worship Him in the glory of His holiness.
Give Him time to make Himself known to you. It is indeed unspeakable grace to know God as the Holy One.
“Ye shall be holy; for I the Lord your God am holy”
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts”
“Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness”
“Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us.” (Ps 90:17)

From the 6-month devotional "Every Day" with Andrew Murray

2010/11/10 12:23Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re: The Holiness of God by Andrew Murray

You mean Not gold plated holiness, but real in-side out holiness? You mean Not merely legal, but actual, practical holiness? You mean Not only a covering but inner and infused holiness? WOW...

2010/11/10 12:50Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: The Holiness of God by Andrew Murray

Thank you for sending this post out. I so appreciate Andrew Murray as the Lord led me to his books at a time in my life when I was questioning many things and struggling spiritually. His works are for the new believer as well as those that want a deeper walk with the Lord.

Mike

2010/11/11 11:04Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

The Holiness of God in the New Testament
By Andrew Murray

“Keep them in thy name, which thou has given me. . .Sanctify them. . .for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth. (Jn 17:11, 17, 19)

Christ ever lives to pray this great prayer. Expect and appropriate God's answer.
Paul says, in I Thessalonians, “Praying earnestly night and day that he may establish your hearts unblamable in holiness. God Himself sanctify me wholly. God is faithful, and He will do it.”
What a privilege to commune with God in secret, to speak these words in prayer, and then to wait upon Him until through the working of the Spirit they live in our hearts and we begin to know something of the holiness of God.
“To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints. . .”
(I Cor 1:2)
God's holiness was revealed in the Old Testament. In the New, we find the holiness of God's people in Christ, through the sanctification of the Spirit. He says, “Be holy, for I am holy.” For this purpose the Thrice Holy One has revealed Himself to us, through the Son and the Holy Spirit. Let us use the word “holy” with great reverence of God, and then with holy desire for ourselves. Worship the God Who says, “I am the Lord who sanctify you.” Bow before Him in holy fear and strong desire, and then, in the
fullness of faith, listen to the promise: “God Himself sanctify you wholly. . .He will do it.”

From the 6-month Devotional "Every Day" with Andrew Murray

2010/11/11 11:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy