SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Politics and the Deeds of the flesh (Strife)?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tedlock

Michigan

Politics and the Deeds of the flesh (Strife)?

Galatians 5
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall
not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the
Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the
one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that
ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under
the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are
these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness,
lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance,
emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and
such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have
also told you in time past, that they which do such
things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

DEFINITION OF "STRIFE" FROM THE ONLINE BIBLE GREEK
LEXICON:

2052 eriyeia eritheia er-ith-i’-ah

perhaps as the same as 2042; TDNT-2:660,256; n f

AV-strife 5, contention 1, contentious + 1537 1; 7

1) electioneering or intriguing for office
1a) apparently, in the NT a courting distinction, a
desire to put one’s self forward, a partisan and
fractious spirit which does not disdain low arts
1b) partisanship, fractiousness
++++
This word is found before NT times only in Aristotle
where it denotes a self-seeking pursuit of political
office by unfair means. (A&G) Paul exhorts to be one
in the mind of Christ not putting self forward or
being selfish (#Php 2:3). #Jas 3:14 speaks against
having selfishness or self-promoting in your heart.

2004/11/2 14:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Politics and the Deeds of the flesh (Strife)?

Quote:
Politics and the Deeds of the flesh (Strife)?

strife. - Contention and dispute. Interesting topic I hope some of this below will help.

[b]Jamieson, Fausset, Brown[/b]
strife--rather as Greek, "factions," "cabals"; derived from a Greek root, meaning "a worker for hire": hence, unworthy means for compassing ends, factious practices.

[b]Strife
General scriptures concerning[/b]
Genesis 13:8; 45:24; Deuteronomy 1:12; Psalms 31:20; 55:9; 80:6; Proverbs 3:20; 6:12-14,16-19; 10:12; 13:10; 15:18; 16:28; 17:1,14,19; 18:6,19; 19:13; 20:3; 21:19; 22:10; 23:29,30; 25:8,24; 26:17,20,21; 27:15; 28:25; 29:22; 30:33; Isaiah 41:11,12; 58:4; Habakkuk 1:3; Matthew 5:25,39-41; 10:34-36; 12:25; 18:15-17; Mark 3:24,25; Luke 11:17; 12:51-53,58,59; Romans 2:8; 12:18; 13:13; 14:1,19,21; 16:17,18; 1 Corinthians 1:10-13; 3:1,3,4; 4:6,7; 6:1-7; 11:16-19; 2 Corinthians 12:20; Galatians 5:10,15,19-21; Philippians 1:15,16; 2:3,14,15; 1 Timothy 1:5-7; 2:8; 3:2,3; 6:3-5,20,21; 2 Timothy 2:14,23-25; Titus 3:1-3,9; James 3:14-16; 4:1,2

2004/11/2 15:11Profile
cornerstone

Singapore / Australia (Melbourne)

Hi tedlock
What are you trying get across? Are you saying political ambition is work of the flesh? (which is it).

Basicially we all know that work of flesh is the work of man.

However, we should not discount that not all politicians have ambition of the flesh (self seeking). Some are called by God be govern. (Though this seldom happens in this day and age). And they depend of God's wisdom to govern.

However, a voting system is not biblical. As the OT, leaders are chosen by the Lord (e.g. Moses, Joshua).

Currently the election happening in the US, which will affect the world, its is really God who chooses who will be power. It is government which change the nation and people.

And depends on our prayer to Lord to choose the right person. Its God wisdom to do so.

Thus important to have Christian leaders who are in senates, to choose the right laws for govern our country.

I am glad our Prime Minister John Howard (who is Christian), had stopped gay marriages in our country (Australia). Our current debate is abortion. He making a stance on it now. Because his decision is influences by his Christian and family values.

Christians, we should not ignore the world (but not be part of the world). As Jesus loved the world, in order bring light.

We who are working in market place can help change things around for His Kingdom, and be that light and salt to the world.

God Bless

Lawton

2004/11/2 15:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Brown-Driver-Briggs’ Hebrew Definitions
[b]Midian or Midianite = strife[/b]

1) son of Abraham by Keturah and progenitor of the tribe of Midianites or Arabians (noun proper masculine)
2) the tribe descended from Midian (noun proper masculine)
3) the territory of the tribe descended from Midian; located principally in the desert north of the Arabian peninsula; land to which Moses went when he fled from Pharaoh (noun proper locative)

We did a little devotional on 'strife' under the title Beware the Midianites. If you want to see the origin and consequences of 'strife' please visit Abraham, My Friend_37

2004/11/2 15:28Profile
dohzman

It almost seems that you're advocating total withdrawal from the political systems in place ,by christians. All "things" lawful , I use this very losely, In America we live under a democratic society and I believe that there are some people who are called to public office who are also christians. The process and ways and means employed by them to obtain that office is something that they personally will have to give account of before God.It's the responsibility of everyone who names the name of Christ to do that which he or she has been called to do, and to do it as a mirrored image of Jesus Christ himself. To say that all elected officials are self seeking is prehaps a little judgemental since we don't really know the heart attitude.To judge a person properly you really need to know every bit of learnig and influences they've had in thier entire past that motivates and shapes thier directions and decissions,I think it's best left for God who knows the hearts of all men. Just my personal opinion.

2004/11/2 16:08Profile
cornerstone

Singapore / Australia (Melbourne)

Re:

Here is an example of the recent election in Australia, how a newly Christian form party "Family First", can help change the
a nation. This is first time Family First to have representive in all states. And it by God's grace having its first Senator.

Thus I was concern for the liberal centred parties such as the "Greens" which support freedom of choice, such as gay marriage, abortion e.g.

[url=http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Family-First-wins-Senate-seat/2004/11/03/1099362195792.html]The Age Newspaper Melbourne[/url]

Family First wins Senate seat
November 3, 2004 - 1:34PM

The fledgling Family First Party today made political history by winning a Senate seat.

Steve Fielding was announced the winner of the final Victorian Senate place by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) about 12.15pm (AEDT) today.

He emerged victorious after the distribution of final preferences by the AEC, more than three weeks after the October 9 poll.

The Greens gained almost five times as many first preference as Family First, but were eliminated by the flow of preferences to Mr Fielding from the coalition, Labor and the minor parties.

Mr Fielding, a manager with a superannuation fund, is the first person to be elected to federal parliament from Christian-aligned Family First, which contested its first federal poll this year.

At one stage it looked like Mr Fielding would have the balance of power in the Senate, but the coalition now has total control of the upper house after the election of the Nationals' Barnaby Joyce in Queensland last week.

Mr Fielding finished with 540,012 votes.

The Greens David Risstrom and Labor's Jacinta Collins were excluded in the last two rounds of counting.

Flanked by his wife Susan and three children immediately after hearing the result, Mr Fielding declared it an historic victory.

"This is an historic occasion in Australian political history with Family First being elected to the federal parliament in the Senate.

"This is the first time a family-based party has been run and also successful, so this will change Australia's (political) landscape.

"Already Family First has put families first by having the prime minister already agree to make sure that family impact statements are done with each piece of legislation that goes before Cabinet."

Mr Fielding said he would not be a puppet for any political party.

He flagged a review of publicly funded abortion procedures as one of his first priorities in parliament.

2004/11/3 5:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Without a doubt we are a divided people. At the core of it all it is the division of the Cross.

But as children of God our striving shouldn't be with one another, differences of opinion expected.

How much we are to give heed to politics in general seems to be spoken to in scripture primarily by prayer from what I can gather. Beyond that it seems to be just another wedge for the adversary to use against us, pitting us one against the other.

In a couple of months time all this will die down again and go the way of all the other emotive issues that rise and fall and we find we have given more attention to then was necessary in speculation and opinion.

Remember "The Passion of The Christ"?
Now it's just another movie, available at the grocery store by the check stand with all the glamor magazines and the rest of the goodies the world seeks after.

Better off praying me thinks...

2004/11/3 9:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Now it's just another movie, available at the grocery store by the check stand with all the glamor magazines and the rest of the goodies the world seeks after.

I was just talking to a brother about that exact same thing about the "passion" movie last night brother :-o man its so true. very sombering.

2004/11/3 11:19Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
Better off praying me thinks...

Yes! Me agree!

2004/11/3 11:27Profile
dohzman

Re:

You're right. Politics does seem to divide while prayer unites.But there are some Daniels' out there who God has placed in office, and they're praying men and women too.

2004/11/5 0:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy