SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prayer help

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Prayer help

Saints, I am looking for some help.

As I have been talking to our Father and praying, I find myself disorganized in my prayers. I find that there is so much to pray for that I over analyze and spend time organizing my prayers and get stuck. Can anybody relate and give suggestions?

Thanks.
Doug

2010/11/2 15:54Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Prayer help

Doug: Have you thought about taking a little bit of a break from praying "for" people and things and simply spending time praising God and fellowshipping with Him. I am not saying we should not pray for people and situations, but that is not the primary nor the ultimate purpose behind prayer. It is for fellowship and communication with the Father through Christ. If my son came to me with an organized list of things to talk to me about and clicked the items off the list, I would not enjoy our conversation very much. But when we simply hang out and talk...Wow, I really like the time we spend together. If the goal is simply to spend time with God personally, I'll bet in the process you will be led into intercession for others and their needs. NT intercession is not bombarding heaven to make things happen, but rather agreeing with the intercession of Christ as He is at the throne ever living to make intercession for us. As we get intimate with Him, He will lead us into agreement with His heart about these situations that we feel the need to pray about. There are times when we come with a need and pray earnestly about it. I am not referring to this, but rather I am talking about a daily habit or routine of prayer.

2010/11/2 16:15Profile
iceman9

New York

Doug,

I know that it can be very overwhelming when trying to keep everything in prayer when there is so much going on in this upside down world. Perhaps splitting things up in smaller daily “bite size” portions may help and keep a journal mapping out each day. Just a cheap spiral notebook works great - keeping names and needs written down will help to remember and can be removed when prayers are answered...

Here is a basic example:

Monday – Pray for leaders. Spiritual leaders: Pastors& Elders. Community leaders: President, Senators Federal and Local representatives. Managers and supervisors at work…. etc.

Tuesday – Revival in the Church

Wednesday – Children and neighbors

Thursday – Wife’s family

Friday – Husband’s family

Saturday – Missionaries and/or ministries you support.

Sunday – Friends

I really like the new version of Operation World that Jason Mandryk put out. Operation World is perfect to be able to pray for the nations in a small concise layout without being overwhelmed with praying for the entire world everyday.

Of course these are just suggestions and adjustments can and should be made to fit your schedule… Just a thought.

God be with you!

2010/11/2 18:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Brother, I can relate.

So many people ask us to pray for them. But what happens too many times is that I will say I will but then I forget! :-(

Since this is the case this is what I now do and believe this to be the will of the LORD:

1. When someone asks me in person to pray for them, we will pray right then and there.

2. If it is by post or email I will tell them I will pray as the Holy Spirit reminds me and he does.

The following verse speaks to me: "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it." 1John 5:16. I do not know what all it means but the Holy Spirit does remind me of it...am not sure if it to comfort me or what. But sometimes a person does get overwhelmed, just like you said.

God bless you, brother...

ginnyrose

2010/11/2 19:33Profile

Re: Prayer Help

Quote:
I'll bet in the process you will be led into intercession for others and their needs. NT intercession is not bombarding heaven to make things happen, but rather agreeing with the intercession of Christ as He is at the throne ever living to make intercession for us. As we get intimate with Him, He will lead us into agreement with His heart about these situations that we feel the need to pray about.

I certainly witness to what twayneb says about praying. Jesus was led by the Holy Spirit in all things and we are to be led by the Holy Spirit in all things, also. I know when I lean upon my own understanding and use lists, as I have tried to do it seems like drudgery and burn out is not far behind. With pre-planned lists conversation is one way with God and not really listening, communing or even truly interceding because I never knew if the Holy Spirit had given me a release or not because I just had to finish my list. More importantly, when I was not in conversation with the Lord, I could not receive new burdens and direction in prayer?

Lists seem like a relationship buster to me, at least in real life with people, they are. I think it is a recipe for burnout.

2010/11/2 21:46
iceman9

New York

Re:

I really wasn’t trying to imply that if you have a list that you can only pray for those people and situations on that day. To the contrary it is making a commitment to pray for certain people and situations. Our prayer time should never be a one way conversation. We should be walking in the Spirit not in the flesh.

I don’t think using a list means not walking in the Spirit. Jesus walked in the Spirit; yet keeps a “Lamb’s book of life” (Rev. 21:27). I’m sure He remembers every name in that book, but still wrote them down.

Doug - I hope that the suggestions that we have given are helping and not hurting and causing confusion…

God be with you!
Brian

2010/11/2 22:43Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I agree with Sister Sandra's method :) or at least this is what I have learned, I got tired of forgetting when asked to pray for someone so instead of waiting to pray for them I would just pray for them right then and there.

When I would pray on a regular basis I would generally lift up people that the Holy Spirit places on my heart at the time, when I realize I forgot someone or I am getting disorganized in prayer I clear my thoughts and don't let condemnation creep in for forgetting and let the Holy Spirit pray for whoever He wants to pray for. Sometimes its simply my family sometimes its a whole slew of people that I hardly know or even people that are being persecuted for Christ sake. Ultimately my point is We are Free in Christ and the Holy Spirit will lead and guide let your brain take a rest and let the Holy Spirit have His way with your heart. :) I hope that this helps!

2010/11/3 2:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy