SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Correctly hearing from God.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ET101

Correctly hearing from God.

Sometimes I get a sense for what God is saying to me during my prayer time, studying the scripture, or any other time of life. I have been wrong enough times to know I have to treat this with caution.

How do you test to discern whether you have heard from God?

The common answer is 'test the message against scripture.' Yes. Yet, even the enemy quotes from scripture to deceive. So, any answers that go deeper?

2010/10/31 11:09Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Correctly hearing from God.

Study the character and nature of
GOD as it is revealed in Christ.
What is Christs' attitude?? What
is Christs' response?? JESUS is
the Good Shepherd; HIS own sheep
hear HIS Voice, and they follow
HIM !!

2010/10/31 12:05Profile

Does it bear witness with what you heard with your spirit?

Your not going to find everything that you'll hear written in the bible, but it should have the same witness of the bible, in other words, it should agree.

Other times is to have it confirmed to you. Most times we don't even think about it, but we have the very thing that we have been thinking on confirmed through the mouth of other witnesses, which is pretty neat. However, if you want something confirmed, don't utter the matter to anyone, God who sees in secret will reward you openly.

In my younger days, I would tell a friend my troubles only to have him write to me in a prophetic way telling me what God has already done for me in the things that I had told him. Mind you I received it, kept it, just in case it might have been God, but still I wished I had of said nothing.

With everything you hear, simply ask the Lord to confirm it and leave it in your prayer closet.

2010/10/31 13:17
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I would encourage you to rethink the entire modern notion of how God "speaks" to us inaudibly.

Check out "Decision Making and the Will of God" by Frieson.

Or, you can read a brief overview on the topic by the author at: http://www.gfriesen.net/sections/willofgod_principles.php

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2010/10/31 14:57Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, we learn wisdom by the things we suffer... we suffer in most parts because we are impatient...tribulation worketh patience...after a while as you grow older you can hear the difference in His voice and his voice.jimp no one in the scripture got faith or much else from anything but that still small voice,for that is the word of God for you personally.abram had no bible ...noah had no bible ...moses had no bible,so he wrote the torah for others.

2010/10/31 16:21Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I am indebted to George Muller for his teaching on knowing God's will, I have proven this in my own life...

Knowing God's Will - How to Ascertain the Will of God

I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are over come when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.

Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.

I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.

Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.

Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.

In Christ,

Ron

2010/10/31 16:23Profile
ET101

Re:

Thank you all very, very much. I'm a newcomer to sermonindex and learning so much so quickly.

Taylor, Friesen's overview was an unburdening God-send for me. The framework organises with clarity the issues that were complexly knotted for me. A huge, huge help.

I have to think some more about the scripture that His sheep know His voice. It makes hearing from God seem so easy and natural. That's not how it's been for me. Perhaps though, because while I was in God's will, I was seeking direction in an area where I had freedom to choose.

I accept about His guidance coming in harmony between the Spirit and the Word. Also, about leaving things in the prayer closet and allowing God to confirm outside.

And yes, life teaches us too (also through suffering) and brings wisdom about discerning God's voice...and His sovereign will (also in Friesen's overview).

I cherish the wisdom about being humble before God evidenced in our hearts not being set on a matter as we bring it before God. Thanks.

My original posting was to do with seeking God's guidance for life-direction. The example in Friesen's overview of Paul's decision process about his journey to Rome was spot-on for me.

Thank you!

2010/11/2 4:42Profile

Here is something that Oliver Peng said, and I posted in another post.

"A person that can spot counterfeit money does not spend all his time studying the counterfeits (error). He spends all his time studying the real thing (Jesus)"

And that is how he knows what is error, because he is spending his time becoming intimate with the One who is True/Truth.

1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Spend time with the Lord in prayer, live in His Word and do it.

1. Stay with the simplicity that is in Christ. Anything or anyone that takes you away from this, is error.

2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2. Learn who the real Jesus is. His Character, words and life.
2Co 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

3. Come to the Lord with your whole heart when you read the Word or you will just have a religious experience. The Pharisees just had a religious experience and you will be setting yourself up against Jesus if you just want to be religious.
Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

4. Don't just be a hearer of God's Word, but a Doer.
Joh 5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

5. Walk in the Love of God.
Joh 5:42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

6. Get free from the fear of man and do not seek honor from man.
Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
Joh 5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

7. Put the theology books away and consume God's Word.
1Co 8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity (love) edifieth.

8. Cast off the works of darkness and make no provision for the flesh.
Rom 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

9. Put on the armor of God. The armor of God is Jesus Christ. Eph. 6:11-17
Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

10. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5,6
Your Bible says you are in a war, and that you are to take captive your thoughts? Does the Word say you are to destroy all speculations and every lofty thing (every fiery trial) raised up against the knowledge of God?
You are to TAKE EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE! In this the way you PUT ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. YOU ENTHRONE JESUS AS LORD IN YOUR HEART and you resist every lie of the devil raised up against the Word of God. Do these weapons destroy the strongholds of the devil? (Compare verse 4 with Hebrews 4:15-16, 2:18.)

Does your Bible say that when you take every thought captive you then punish all disobedience? In other words, you put to death the rebellious, lustful thoughts raised up against the knowledge of God. (Read Romans 8:14,13)

These are a few things you will find that will help you hear the Lord's voice.

But notice, I took everything from the Word of God. Not any theology books. My point is: Live in God's Word and do what the Lord is telling you. You need the whole counsel of God, not just these 10 points. It is just an example how His Word is a lamp unto our feet and a light to our path.

He has given us everything that pertains to life and godliness by His Word and Spirit.

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And this is not about memorizing a 1000 do's and don'ts. It is about loving the Lord and His Word above all things and all people, even if everyone else is compromising. And you will suffer, but don't think it strange regarding the fiery ordeal that has come upon you. You will suffer in the flesh as you obey God's Word and carry your cross and you will suffer because you don't want to be a man pleaser.

Jer 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Hide the Word of God in your heart that you may not sin against Him.

Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

All will be well and you will hear God once you remove all the other static. He will lead you and guide you.

2010/11/2 12:23
wildone

Re:Correctly hearing from God.

@ET101:
I have wrestled with this question for the last several years and have come to this conclusion: God lives inside of me and if I earnestly desire to be submitted to and led by Him, I can trust that I am, even if it appears I took a wrong turn here or there. Also, hearing God, like everything else in this world, requires practice and there is some trial and error involved. I feel He is delighted that we are willing to hear, listening and stepping out in faith.

2 Cor 2:14 Now thanks be to God who ALWAYS leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. [emphasis mine.]

2010/11/2 15:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy