SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Purpose of Sprinkling with the Blood of Jesus Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Purpose of Sprinkling with the Blood of Jesus Christ

mguldner said

Quote:
not because strictly the start of the new Covenant but because Christ Sacrifice made was/is eternally made for all sin.

But that IS the start of the New Covenant God was making with believing Israel, BECAUSE Christ's sacrifice is eternal for all sin. So, you're absolutely going in the right direction.

Areadymind,

Very interesting posts!

Many times in the New Testament the writers are forced to lay things out in a linear fashion (note, I don't say progression), because of the limitations of EXPLANING what they know simultaneously about the condition into which faith in Christ has brought them. (I feel this very much in Romans, when Paul seems to tackle the same truth from several angles one after another, in his attempt to cover all the bases.)

Regarding the Ark of the Covenant, it at one time contained the two tablets from Sinai, Aaron's rod that budded and the shewbread (I think) - all symbols which were fulfilled in Christ (our ark of a new covenant).

The purpose of SPRINKLING the Ark of the Covenant, was to connect the people to God (again) through the sacrifice. Remember, this particular ceremony happened only once a year at Passover, on the Day of Atonement.

When Christ died on the day before Passover, apparently it was at the time of the last sacrifice due to be made at the Temple. Instead, the Temple vail was rent from top to bottom, utterly destroying any potential entry to the Holy of Holies with the blood to sprinkle, the following day.

It is inconceivable that this passed without that year's High Priest noticing! (It is also interesting, I think, that the High Priest that year was a Sadducee; they don't believe in resurrection from the dead.) Paul makes the point at the start of Romans, that Christ's resurrection PROVED that He was HOLY, as does Peter in Acts 2:24.

(It was also a year of Jubilee (50th year), which would make that particular 'pentecost' even more symbolic AND REAL.)

Noah's ark contained the people being saved by God from the flood (of death). (Much more could be said about the pictures of the New Covenant in Noah's experience.)

The other thing which leapt out at me from your posts, is this rendering from Tyndale's New Testament, regarding how Paul describes his ministry to the Corinthians. Peter is, basically, putting this into shorthand in the introduction to the body of his epistle, and it's worth looking at 'by' in the Greek, and check in Strong's. I think it establishes a different feeling from that of a sequence.

[We are studying
NASB: 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood:

KJV: 2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ

Tyndale's New Testament
1 Peter 1:2 elect by the foreknowledge of God the father, thorow the sanctifying of the spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Iesus Christ.]

So please, in Tyndale, note Paul's references to 'atonement' (blood of sprinkling) which are not in the KJV, although clearly they are implied. What intersts me, is that Tyndale read 'atonement', and this is what Peter is talking about. The first paragraph I've included, because it's an expansion of Peter's 'by ... the Spirit', I believe.

2 Cor 5: Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh. Insomuch that though we have known Christ after the flesh, now henceforth know we him so no more. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature. Old things are passed away, behold all things are become new.

Nevertheless all things are of God, which hath reconciled us unto himself by Iesus Christ, and hath given unto us the office to preach the atonement. For God was in Christ, and made agreement between the world and him self, and imputed not their sins unto them: and hath committed to us the preaching of the atonement.

¶ Now then are we messengers in the room of Christ: even as though God did beseech you thorow us: So pray we you in Christe's stead, that ye be at one with God: for he hath made him to be sin for us, which knew no sin, that we by his means should be that righteousness which before God is allowed.

'that ye BE AT ONE with God'. Someone has noticed you can split 'atonement' thus. AT-ONE-ment.

Lastly, about thunders and lightnings and mountain tops and voices; some time ago I noticed the parallel between Sinai and Pentecost. Mountains represent authority - headship. When Moses went up the mountain, on the day God was going to show Himself SPEAKING with Moses while the children of Israel observed, there were great thunders and lightnings (smoke and fire) and shaking. (Exo 19 and Heb 12.) Similarly, on the day of Pentecost, FIRE appeared on the HEADS of the believers, and THEY SPOKE in tongues. Another description of God's voice is 'as the sound of many waters'. This reminds me that 'sea' is a synonym for 'peoples' in scripture in several places.

Okay. My turn to say corrections are welcome!

2010/10/29 7:57
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Matthew

Genealogically speaking...yes Matthew, you are right. We are all called sons of Adam. However Jesus was the Son of God. In Matthew's gospel however Matthew oddly does have a couple anomalies in his genealogy as he emphasizes four mothers in the line.

I am not sure how DNA transfers blood type, whether the mother or the father determines that. Any prof's or doctors who post here able to give insight into this?

AlivetoGod. Also some great additions to the discussion. Cannot respond now, might be able to later tonight.

2010/10/29 9:34Profile
whyme

Re:

The OT sprinkling of sacrificial blood on the vessels of the temple, the altar of the temple and even the people of God caused that which the blood touches to become holy ( sanctified ).

2010/10/29 9:48Profile
Lesserlight

Re:

Great thread

I agree on the sequence and I have always seen a sequence as we go from being the first Adam to becoming the last Adam, but I never saw it in the verse being used until now....... However it sure fits

The reward of the high calling for us is the life of Jesus ..... not just Him in us but a seed that has been resurrected and matured into the tree that produced the seed in the first place.

The life is in the blood and upon the Ark without the mercy seat (because it has already ascended into heaven) is a picture of what we are to become (pure gold of the mercy seat versus beaten gold on top of wood of the bottom)

So at the end we are in the image of the one whose life is found in the blood

Doug

2010/10/29 11:14Profile
whyme

Re:

You are, biblically "sanctified" at new birth. Remember the passage....He is perfecting forever them that have been sanctified. This sanctification is the initial consecration of the believer unto God. The passage that begins this thread and the question of the order of the passage is merely a description of conversion.

2010/10/29 11:43Profile

Re: Purpose of Sprinkling with the Blood of Jesus Christ

Hi all,

I've just had a bit of pang about my previous post - not because I don't believe what I shared, but because it's what I've picked up from posts and listening to sermons over the years. I, personally, for instance, have not read the books or done the research for myself, which concluded that Jesus died at the time of the evening sacrifice. My own lack of Bible study is also reflected!

Regarding blood lines, this is a whole other study. Here are two places for more about Christ's genealogy. It is indeed very important that He did fulfil EVERY prophecy which had been given about Him.

http://mp3.biblebase.com/workmanworkshops/The%20Seed_09.PDF

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=26911&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go

Phil Goble in his showing of the credentials of Jesus Christ to claim to be Messiah, points out from his knowledge of Jewish culture, that Joseph would 'only' have had to SAY 'He is mine', for the matter of His paternity to be accepted by the community. Thus, Jesus was, technically, ADOPTED by Joseph. By this means, He became descended from David LEGALLY through His earthly pater. He was, according to the study above by philologos, also descended from Judah through Mary.

As the Passover Lamb for us, the LIFE which was in His blood is what is important, spiritually, (mentioned by LesserLight), because it is eternal.

Genesis 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, [which is] the blood thereof, shall ye not eat

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh [is] in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it [is] the blood [that] maketh an atonement for the soul.

Leviticus 17:14 For [it is] the life of all flesh; the blood of it [is] for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh [is] the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

1 Peter 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Hebrews 13:12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his OWN blood, suffered without the gate.

Hebrews 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

[YLT Hebrews 13:20
And the God of the peace, who did bring up out of the dead the great shepherd of the sheep--in the blood of an age-during covenant--our Lord Jesus,]

Please (again), look at the Greek which has been translated 'by' by the NASB. For me 'by' is inferior because of the way we use it in English, even if it is a fair translation. Maybe we can talk about this some more, and what you all think 'by' means when you read it?

2010/10/29 12:28
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"Regarding the Ark of the Covenant, it at one time contained the two tablets from Sinai, Aaron's rod that budded and the shewbread (I think) - all symbols which were fulfilled in Christ (our ark of a new covenant)."

Close, it was not shewbread, but a Pot of Manna, Hebrews 9:4

However, you were in the right food group LOL! So you get sentimental kudo's!

Even if it is not a progression I think many of the things we are considering here are resounding to be very true with me.

"The purpose of SPRINKLING the Ark of the Covenant, was to connect the people to God (again) through the sacrifice. Remember, this particular ceremony happened only once a year at Passover, on the Day of Atonement."

I really liked this quote as well. I think it dovetails nicely into understanding the purpose of the mercy seat in relationship to the people. While Christ did die at a point in time by our reckoning, it is obvious that there is an eternality to the cross...to the atonement, to the sprinkling of his blood. Christ's face was set like flint toward Jerusalem. How I wish above all things in life that I would learn to have my face set like flint toward the will of God for my life. I find it is so easy to talk about the will of God in the manner of an academician. I would rather just learn to have a flinty set of face...

Dear God help us.

I also know very well what you mean by feeling convicted about sharing information before verifying it. I appreciate your conviction deeply as I was just preaching the other night, and something came out of my mouth that I realized afterward I had not personally verified. I wanted to puke. I am thinking I need to apologize to the congregation.

In your second post, the Hebrews 13:20 quote was dead on..."the blood of the eternal covenant."

2010/10/29 21:32Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Alive to God II

I will have to listen to that sermon by Brother Ron. I have loved listening to his stuff.

2010/10/29 21:34Profile

Re: Purpose of the Sprinkling of the Blood of Jesus Christ

Areadymind,

Thanks for your comments. :-)

I need to warn if you haven't noticed already - the link to philologos is a PDF (!).

2010/10/30 7:38
todd

California

Re:

So, instead of thinking of a progression that is taking place over an extended amount of time, maybe it is really "merely a description of conversion," as whyme stated. If that is a case, perhaps we could understand it as an "unpacking" of this event (conversion). That Peter is giving us more insight into what takes place.

Whyme, while I do appreciate what you have said, I'm not sure you have offered your thoughts specifically about the significance and purpose of sprinkling with the blood of Jesus Christ (or I may have missed it). If this is something that happens at conversion, why does it happen?

If "obedience" happens at conversion, how do you understand that?

2010/10/30 12:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy