SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Praying for Revival in God's Word

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dougr777

Praying for Revival in God's Word

I was having a talk with a friend about revival and this person asked , "Where in the Bible does God talk about praying about revival for the Church?"

Doug

2010/10/27 10:36Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Praying for Revival in God's Word

Although it does not directly say the word 'revival', here are a few NT examples that I think apply.

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

May be able to comprehend with all saints what [is] the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Eph 3:14-19.

For this cause we also, since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; Colosians 1:9

Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of [his] goodness, and the work of faith with power, 2 Thess 1:11

Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have [free] course, and be glorified, even as [it is] with you. 2 Thess 3:1

2010/10/27 11:02Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Praying for Revival in God's Word

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=20654&commentView=itemComments

Have you listened to this message, Doug(edited)?

If Martha and Mary had not sought Jesus for the life of their brother Lazarus, where would Lazarus be?

2010/10/27 11:13Profile
jimp

Re:

sorry

2010/10/27 11:34Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Quote:
Have you listened to this message, Dave?

yes I have. I would say it was an outstanding and important message. Brian's message was about how much the Lord loves His church and won't let it die....

jimp / That's great to hear about what the Lord is doing with you all over there! Pray he will do the same over here!

2010/10/27 11:41Profile
dougr777

Re:

yes, I listed to the message this morning.
Doug

2010/10/27 14:42Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re:

This is another example, where the church prays for revival:

Act 4:24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
Act 4:25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
Act 4:26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.
Act 4:27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
Act 4:28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
Act 4:29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
Act 4:30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

This Prayer is immediately answered (Act 4:31). The even more interesting thing is, that the church was in the midst of revival (which started in Acts 2) - but they wheren't satisfied.

I want to add a thought: I think there is much praying for revival today. There are much prayer-initiatives, even from sound-minded saints, who are praying earnestly for revival.
We should not think about jsut "praying more". We have to face the fact that in spite of all the praying there is very little answer to the prayer. So we can make the conclusion: "Okay, our prayers have little results, lets pray MORE" or we can start to think why our prayers have so little effect and then come to the conclusion, something WITH US or IN US is not right. The last conclusion is definitely the more mature conclusion.

The bible tells us actually the right order:

"If my people, who are called by my name, WILL HUMBLE THEMSELVES and THEN PRAY...then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2.Ch7:14)

For many this is another scripture to pray for revival, but that exegesis is very superficial. This is a CONDITIONAL PROMISE, and it gives the exact order of the Beginning of revival:

First: Humble themselves
Second: Pray
Third: Seek his presence
Fourth: Turn from wicked ways (which actually is again a form of humbling...)

Almost every preacher, who preaches about this verse is leaving out the first part, the HUMBLING. If we don't humble ourselves, ALL OUR PRAYERS ARE IN VAIN, because the prayer and sacrifice of the wicked is sin! (Psalm 15:,8 Ps 109:7) I think that is why so much of our prayers for revival are not answered, because we pray for revival and we want to have revival, but we don'T want to humble ourselves (before our brothers, our children, our wives...)

I think Roy Hession makes this point very clear in some of his books (Calvary Road). We have to do it Gods way.

2010/10/28 11:22Profile

Re:

HI Guys,

It was just mentioned at the revival conference by one of the speakers that Evan Roberts prayed for 11 years for revival. We live in such an instant, throw-away society, that the notion of praying for 11 years would horrify many. If they dont get their answer soon after praying, they give up or come to some other bad conclusions. Can you imagine what would have happened if Abraham used similar logic. He waited 25 years to see the promise fulfilled. Where is faithfulness today? What happened to prevailing? How about diligently seeking? I think it is the measure of just how shallow our walk can be or our faith in God. Reember, our perspective is not Gods perspective. If God has laid a burden on your heart to pray for revival, do not listen to anyone, keep praying. If your burden is from God then you could hardly do anything else because there is a fire in your bones. God bless all of Gods intercessors, it can be a burden and an agony of sorts, but one must prevail, one must press in. And even if you have been praying for years, decades, do not be discouraged, there is purpose in your prayers........brother Frank

2010/10/28 15:07

Re:

Quote:
"If my people, who are called by my name, WILL HUMBLE THEMSELVES and THEN PRAY...then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2.Ch7:14)

Can you tell me what the definition of "land" today is?

I know what it was in the OT. I don't think it means the same thing today as it meant in the OT. Just like Temple does not mean the same thing, since Jesus died and rose again.

Blessings,
Pilgrim

2010/10/28 15:39

Re:

The actual quote from another thread....

"“Remember to be faithful. What if the Spirit descended and you absent? Remember Thomas! What a loss he had!”

“I said then to myself: ‘I will have the Spirit.’ And through all weather, and in spite of all difficulties, I went to the meetings. Many times, on seeing other boys with the boats on the tide, I was tempted to turn back and join them. But, no. Then I said to myself: ‘Remember your resolve to be faithful,’ and on I went. Prayer meeting Monday evening at the chapel; prayer meeting Tuesday evening at Pisgah (Sunday School branch); Church meeting Wednesday evening; Band of Hope Thursday; class Friday evening-to these I went faithfully throughout the years. For ten or eleven years I have prayed for a revival. I could sit up all night to read or talk about revivals. It was the Spirit that moved me to think about a revival."

2010/10/28 16:04

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy