SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Willow Creek Pastor Puts High Price Tag on New Vision

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

StarofGod, I've listened to 10 Shekels and a Shirt. It is probably the sermon that has had the biggest influence on my life. I'm not really sure where you're going with that question though. Maybe just a question?

If you're speaking of humanism, and his idea that the chief end of being is the happiness of man, I don't think it means that we can't try to make people happy by meeting a need. While I agree wholeheartedly with his premise we can't forget that Jesus did die for US. We cannot forget the intense love that Jesus has for US. Just like he says in the sermon, we don't do it for them, we do it for Jesus.

I hope I didn't write a rebuttal where one wasn't needed. I hate when people get on here and verbally assault someone and have missunderstood the original comment. If I have please forgive me.

2010/10/13 9:02Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

CeaseNot, I understand that concern and agree that it is legitimate. But these heretical groups or movements do not have a love of the truth in them. I do not think its fair to lump together all Christians who have a heart for the poor and outcasts under that umbrella of heresy or apostacy. Despite the fact that these groups are focusing too much on social justice, we still can't escape the biblical mandate to look out for the poor among us. I believe that they are correct in having a concern for social justice, but they are unbalanced in that they exclude preaching the true gospel of Jesus Christ which is more important. My argument is why can't we do both, while focusing primarily on the gospel? Why do we have to leave it to heretics to look out for the poor while we passively neglect them and make all kinds of excuses for not caring? For many, I believe it reveals a cold-heartedness.

2010/10/13 10:01Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thanks Jimmy.

2010/10/13 10:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think what happens is that we develop a caricature of what an opposing view really believes. I think the solution to this little delima is to aim for the center, which is Christ. Show people His love through charity, but then we must tell them who He is. How are they to know if no one tells them?

Beautifully said, Hoohoou.

Where I live now, I don't even have the physical ability to preach the Gospel, as I can't speak a lick of the language as relative to what most would consider a proper Gospel message. I mean, I can say Jesus's Name, but that's about it. However this doesn't stop me from actively trying to preach the Gospel. I'm just not able to use words yet.
What a terrible waste of time I'd have to account for to God, if I waited until my Japanese was even manageable before I attempted to "preach the Gospel".

They may not understand English here, but they most certainly can understand the love of Christ.

2010/10/13 11:32
learn

Re:

Good post on Oracio's answer to CeaseNot.

Jesus did not spend all his time just preaching the gospel. He spent a fair bit of time just healing people and we do see that some did turn to Christ after he healed. Are we then to say that Jesus's primary aim was not to save people from their sins? We wouldn't say that and similarly we cannot lump the heretical groups and the true believers together when they happen to do 'humanist act' of caring for the sick, poor etc.

2010/10/13 19:48Profile
CeaseNot

Re:

Please dont misunderstand me. There is no doubt that charity must indeed be evident in a believer's life. I say amen your posts. I came across this article and thought it beneficial, however, if the gospel is preached and it is coupled with charity then praise God yet if it is replaced with charity then that would be a concern.. Controversy was not meant to arise in any way so I apologise if it has.

2010/10/14 6:13Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

CeaseNot, I wasn't trying to spark any controversy either. I hope I didn't come across as doing that. The written word has a way of conveying emotion that isn't there. My response was intended to be a "your right, but what about this" type of response. So many times I read threads, watch a group of people debate a topic and think to myself that they are both right.

At all time I have to be careful that I don't go overboard on any doctrine. I heard a quote, I think from David Legge, that says, "Don't let your convictions become restrictions to what God would have you do". I think we all do that quite a bit. Majoring on the minors, swallowing camels and what not.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to jump on the pile or anything. I just wanted more of the picture revealed. May we all find God through Jesus and just do what He wants.

Matt

2010/10/14 6:46Profile
CeaseNot

Re:

Amen Matt!

2010/10/14 6:48Profile
learn

Re:

Don't worry CeaseNot. I don't think any controversy was raised but perhaps a better/deeper understanding of how God works is shared. :)

2010/10/14 6:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy