SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : South Korean "happiness" preacher commits suicide...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

South Korean "happiness" preacher commits suicide...

'Happiness advocate' dies in apparent suicide
by Lee Ji-yoon
Oct 09, 2010
The Korea Herald
Asia News Network

Writer and TV celebrity Choi Yoon-hee, 63, and her husband were found dead in a hotel room Thursday in an apparent joint suicide, police said.

The couple checked into the hotel in Goyang, northwest of Seoul, early in the morning but never came out. A hotel staff member visited their room and found Choi lying on the bed and her husband hanging in the restroom.

As Choi's death note was found in the room, police believe her husband helped Choi commit suicide and then hung himself.

"I'm sick of going to and leaving the hospital over the past two years. I don't want to live a life any more, loaded with injections," Choi wrote in the note left behind.

"People who have suffered nearly 700 kinds of pains would understand me. I cannot bear the pain any more and my husband cannot let me go alone ... So, we have decided to leave together," she said.

In September, her lung disease progressed to her heart, worsening the pain she suffered. After the Chuseok holiday, she attempted to kill herself on a trip alone, but her husband found and stopped her.

"My husband, completely healthy, is leaving together for me. You have been a sincere, talented and faithful person in your whole life. I'm sorry and thank you!!" she added in the note.

The couple have a daughter and a son, both currently living in the U.S.

"Long-lasting physical pain often causes depression, sometimes leading to suicide. She would have difficulty controlling her feelings," said Park Sang-jin, a psychiatrist at Ilsan Hospital.

The suicide of Choi, who was nicknamed the "happiness advocate" for her emphasis on positive thinking, came as a shock to many people. The online community has posted numerous comments of condolence.

She was considered living evidence that proved the power of hope.

Choi, then an ordinary housewife, applied to become a copy writer at a local advertising company at the age of 38. Having achieved a successful career, she retired as the director general of the company.

Based on her experiences, she delivered lectures on hope and happiness and appeared on several TV programs. She was also the author of 20 books.

Click on the following link to see the full article.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20101009-241475.html

2010/10/10 16:44Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: South Korean "happiness" preacher commits suicide...

Quote:
"People who have suffered nearly 700 kinds of pains would understand me. I cannot bear the pain any more and my husband cannot let me go alone ... So, we have decided to leave together," she said.

No mention on them being Christians. Happiness and hope that are not founded on the Rock, our Lord, Jesus Christ can not support you.

That said, I have understanding of what she was suffering, through my husbands illness, and am seeing a great need for witnessing while in doctor's waiting rooms. So many people in pain of body and soul. So many Doctor's who don't know Jesus. Tomorrow we will be all day at the hospital for a 'procedure.' Lord willing it will bring about some relief from the pain.

white stone

2010/10/10 17:39Profile

Re: South Korean "happiness" preacher commits suicide...

Listening to the Korean news, we cannot find any evidence of her being a 'pastor' or preacher'. She was not known for preaching about Jesus, rather happiness in life, of which she obviously was not fully sold on. So I would suggest that she was an inspirational speaker. Not to mention, you will notice something interesting on the wall at the funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YgF6Amr17o&feature=channel

...this suggests that she wasn't even Christian.

And, her suicide note ended with the inspirational words of... "smile"!

2010/10/11 8:03
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
And, her suicide note ended with the inspirational words of... "smile"!

A double minded man/woman is unstable in all his ways.
~ James 1.8

2010/10/11 10:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Brian, I cannot understand a word what is said on that video! However, I did see a crucifix on the back wall near the ceiling....

Sad, really sad. A suicide always is tragic.

ginnyrose

2010/10/11 10:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy