SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : question on The Worst Sin by Sandeep Poonen:

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

question on The Worst Sin by Sandeep Poonen:

This message talks about that the reward is God and not his stuff. I'm trying to figure out what that means. I mean it sounds nice in holyspeak but what does that mean for an average joe like me?

It's like when I sing that song "All that I need is you", I can't really say that "All that I need is Him" I don't know what that means. After having that phrase shoved down my throat for the last 20 years, I realize, I have no idea what this means.....

Please explain.

Here is the sermon.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=2033&commentView=postComment

2010/10/10 4:04
Renoncer

Re: question on The Worst Sin by Sandeep Poonen:

Codek,

Why did you accept Christ? What were you looking for in Him? If God were to strip you of all your riches, belongings, wealth, health, family, sanity, physical security, job, position, and even strip you of any ability to do any work for the Lord; would you be poor, or would you be rich? Would you be destitute, or would you be satisfied? Would you still be able to say, “I have an abundant life”?

Your honest answer to these questions will reveal where your heart truly is. Is His grace sufficient for you? Is Christ enough? Or do you need something else?

2010/10/10 4:49Profile

Re:

Satan accuses us to God everyday, just as he accused Job.

Satan's contention is that no one loves God, for just who He is. He put a hedge (protection) around Job, He blessed him with incredible abundance and that is why Job "fears" Him.

God took up the challenge. And He still takes up the challenge on our behalf, everyday, being confident in the power of His Spirit working in us.

We grow into becoming people that love God for just who He is. It is not there on the day of our salvation. It's not there for a long, long time. There is much darkness that the Holy Spirit has to lead us out, many idols in our heart that we are joined to and we don't know it.

2010/10/10 10:18

Re: question on The Worst Sin by Sandeep Poonen:

Hi codek,

I listened to the message. It was good, and enriched by his honest testimony.

I don't know if these scriptures will help you, but they've helped me see more clearly, God's priority with people rather than things. Only you can know if you have a problem with things.

I also think it's good to ask ourselves whether it's possible to be a Christian in a warzone, with no hot water, no electric shower, no cooked food, no fuel for the car (and so on), because this helps us weed the 'culture' out of our thinking.

Gen 14:10 And the vale of Siddim [was full of] slimepits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain.

Comment: so, it appears that the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah have perished, because that's what 'fell' usually means. But not so.

Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he [was] the priest of the most high God. 19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed [be] Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: 20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. 21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself. {persons: Heb. souls}

Comment: so there is a demonic agenda to substitute 'stuff' for 'souls'.

Romans 7:7 '... for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Coloss 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, [who is] our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth ... and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Comment: idolatry was a recurring problem in Israel. No doubt it is a general problem for the whole of mankind.

Matt 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great [is] that darkness! 24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, [shall he] not much more [clothe] you, O ye of little faith? 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof.

Comment: sometimes I think we have to use mathematical tactics to figure out where we are in a passage of scripture. For instance, I nearly deleted the verses about the eye, light and 'great' darkness, and then I realised it was in there because it completely goes with what Jesus is talking about. He's telling us that materialism will bring 'great' darkness into our souls.

So, if you have 'light' within you, you know that your heart IS set on the things above, and can test against a number of other scriptural parameters.

Luke 6:39 And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1 John 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. 10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. 11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them]. 12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. 13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Acts 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, 19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. 20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. 21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. 22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. 23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and [in] the bond of iniquity. 24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

Comment: by Simon's request, Peter was immediately alerted to the state of his heart towards God. Jesus had taught him that 'out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks'.

The above is a commentary mainly on the consequences of living to have 'stuff'. I realise one can be inordinately attached even to abstract things, but ultimately, that is also idolatry.

It's easy to want Jesus when we see Him healing people, casting out demons and teaching truth with amazing clarity. But when we remember He is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, and He also spoke about His - and our - obedience to the Father to be counted one with Him, falling into the ground and dying with Him, brings a whole raft of new challenges.

Matt 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

2010/10/10 13:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy