SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Woman takes crowbar to anti-Christ art exhibit...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Woman takes crowbar to anti-Christ art exhibit...

(*This sort of reminds me of Phinehas's reaction to immorality in Numbers 25:1-13).

Woman takes crowbar to Stanford professor's controversial art exhibit
By Monte Whaley
THE DENVER POST
10/07/2010

A woman using a crowbar entered a Colorado art museum Wednesday and destroyed a controversial exhibit by a Stanford University art professor that some say shows Jesus Christ engaged in a sex act.

The exhibit -- called "The Misadventures of Romantic Cannibals" by Stanford's Enrique Chagoya -- has been the subject of a week's worth of protests by those who claim it is blasphemy.

The suspect was identified by police as 56-year-old Kathleen Folden of Kalispell, Mont. She is currently in custody on a charge of criminal mischief.

Police said that around 4 p.m. the woman entered the Loveland Museum/Gallery in Loveland, about 50 miles north of Denver, around . and stood in front of the exhibit. Using a crowbar or similar tool, she then broke the Plexiglass protecting the image and tore up the artwork. She also cut herself in the process.

Police said there were reports of gunfire at the museum, but it appears the noise was due to the banging of the crowbar against the glass.

Art dealer Mark Michaels told Denver's 9News that he saw the woman break the glass. She grabbed the artwork, but he says he stopped her.

"We were just coming in and were standing at the door and I heard a large -- like a thump -- and somebody yelled 'Oh, no!' And I looked up and I saw a nail-puller-type crowbar slamming the Plexiglass case several times until she broke it," Michaels told the TV station.

"And I ran over there and by the time I got there she had reached in and grabbed the print and was ripping it up so I pulled her away from the print and put her in the corner and then the police came."

City Councilman Daryle Klassen has called the artwork "smut" and originally wanted it removed. But on Wednesday before the attack at the museum, said the piece should stay but with a warning of its explicit nature.

"If you go to a XXX-rated movie at least they have the decency to put a sign out of the theater, letting you know this is what you will see," Klassen said Wednesday. "I'd like to see something like that, a warning, placed at the museum in this case. But so far, that has not happened."

The piece - called "The Misadventures of Romantic Cannibals" - is a 7 1/2-inch-high, 90-inch-wide color lithograph. The final panel shows what appears to be Jesus [in a sex act].

Chagoya indicated he produced the lithograph as a commentary on revelations of child abuse committed by priests in the Catholic Church.

Klassen said he's received over 1,700 e-mails supporting his criticism of the piece, adding at least 200 people who showed up at a city council meeting Tuesday night also want the artwork removed.

"I'd say the response has been 100-to-1 in support of getting it rid of it," said Klassen.

Click on the link below to read the full article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_16274427

*EDIT - I removed a phrase that was included in the article due to the vulgar description. - Chris

2010/10/7 14:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Woman takes crowbar to anti-Christ art exhibit...

I understand the woman's horror of seeing such a blasphemous piece displayed....

Which reminds me of seeing an article in National Geographic many years ago of statuary in Greece or Rome. The eyes were scratched by some tool. It was said these scratches were made by fanatical Christians who objected to these statues, considering them idolatrous, or something like that.

The world will always be the world which is on a collision course with God and his holiness. The tragedy comes when Christian people want to emulate it in some form or fashion. It always begins in some subtle manner that is not easily detected by the average person and then progressively gets worse - once people have gotten used to it. It is just like Vance Havner used to say, people are "getting used to the dark!"

ginnyrose

2010/10/7 17:09Profile

Re: Woman takes crowbar to anti-Christ art exhibit...

strangely, even as an artist myself, i got to like this.

you gotta applaud that dear woman's pluck and her Holy Ghost fueled righteous anger...love it, and the very charge itself made me laugh, "criminal mischief"....i'm envious. dont know the type of crowbar, but i keep a 36 inch crow, US tempered steel in the back of the truck, that could of done some work.

She probably needed a brother there providing cover/interference, till she got the job done....no violence on another person, just block gallery personnel, till the dear sister could complete the task at hand.

may she have the courage to joyfully plead 'giulty', an if sentenced to jail time, to consider that period as a time to engage in Bible study, personal work, and jailhouse evangelism.....and may the Body take up a collection should there be a fine, God will bless, and may He convict the artist in question to the Mercy an Love of Jesus...hey! dont doubt that, God works in many a strange circumstance, Praise His Name!!!

"criminal mischief".....oh! that makes me laugh, God is good.

personally i woulnt dare do that...thats my 'old man'...i take a walk down the violent path, and i have trouble knowing when to stop, hence the Comforter has counseled me in the direction of meekness, non violence an love in Christ...just my testimony.

2010/10/7 18:05

Re:

How did the painter know what Jesus looked like?

2010/10/7 19:12
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re:

Let me know if there are any more of these prints floating around...

We keep several nice, sharp prybars in our work trailers and can have them on-site in pretty short notice.

:D

2010/10/7 20:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Well, Ryan, ya got enough money on hand to pay for some fines? and can you afford to be off of work for a few days? :-)

Makes one wonder how long God will tolerant such blatant, vile, depiction of perversion...too bad one cannot call fire down from heaven to burn up the place...

2010/10/8 12:37Profile

Re:

Quote:
Makes one wonder how long God will tolerant such blatant, vile, depiction of perversion...too bad one cannot call fire down from heaven to burn up the place...

(I know you know this)

Christ blood makes God very tolerant. Where iniquity doth abound, Christ much more aboundeth.

Luke 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

Luke 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Why did He say that?

John 3:16 For God soooooo loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2010/10/8 21:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy