SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THE BIAS OF DEGENERATION by Oswald Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 THE BIAS OF DEGENERATION by Oswald Chambers

"Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." Romans 5:12

The Bible does not say that God punished the human race for one man's sin; but that the disposition of sin, viz., my claim to my right to myself, entered into the human race by one man, and that another Man took on Him the sin of the human race and put it away (Heb. 9:26) - an infinitely profounder revelation. The disposition of sin is not immorality and wrong-doing, but the disposition of self-realization - I am my own god. This disposition may work out in decorous morality or in indecorous immorality, but it has the one basis, my claim to my right to myself. When Our Lord faced men with all the forces of evil in them, and men who were clean living and moral and up right, He did not pay any attention to the moral degradation of the one or to the moral attainment of the other; He looked at something we do not see, viz., the disposition.

Sin is a thing I am born with and I cannot touch it; God touches sin in Redemption. In the Cross of Jesus Christ God redeemed the whole human race from the possibility of damnation through the heredity of sin. God nowhere holds a man responsible for having the heredity of sin. The condemnation is not that I am born with a heredity of sin, but if when I realize Jesus Christ came to deliver me from it, I refuse to let Him do so, from that moment I begin to get the seal of damnation. "And this is the judgment" (the critical moment), "that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light."

2010/10/5 9:29Profile
MikeH

Re: THE BIAS OF DEGENERATION by Oswald Chambers

sermonindex quoted

Quote:
God nowhere holds a man responsible for having the heredity of sin. The condemnation is not that I am born with a heredity of sin, but if when I realize Jesus Christ came to deliver me from it, I refuse to let Him do so, from that moment I begin to get the seal of damnation. "And this is the judgment" (the critical moment), "that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light."

Since you did post this, my dear brother, do you really think this is true; the implications seem to be truly momentous?

Kind regards

Mike
PS I'm not saying it is wrong, but that it is very profound.

2010/10/5 9:54Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I too have been considering that statement all morning. Philologos also posted this, and I have been mulling it around a bit. It is most definitely a bold consideration.

2010/10/5 11:59Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Quote:
Since you did post this, my dear brother, do you really think this is true; the implications seem to be truly momentous?

Definitely true, it lines up with scripture. Not to believe the immeasurable redemptive work of Christ is the archetypical sin.
You know you are naked before God, yet you hide away from him and cover yourself with fig leaves, completely ridiculous, but this is what man does.

John 3:17-19 (King James Version)

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

1 John 5:10 (New International Version)
10Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son.

2010/10/5 12:56Profile

Re:

It is not the good or bad we do, because there is nothing whatsoever we can do of ourselves that can make non-effective our nature which is always sinning. It is only through identification with Jesus Christ's life, death, and ressurection life can we walk rightly.

Whether they seem good or bad to us, it isn't the outward acts that condemn or justify us. Whatever I do can never satisfy God's righteousness. It is our nature, which is bound up in sin (by heredity), that makes our right as filthy as (menstral) rags.

Everything we think we do or can try to do is perverted because our nature is full of sin (through Adam). All our doings are stained with sin.

. . .but God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. ( Eph. 2.4-10 )

Realizing our identity in Jesus Christ
--as stated in the first paragraph--
manifests our justification, sanctification, and glorification, which is (righteousness) THE ONLY WAY God has made possible ENABLING US TO RAMAIN IN RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM.

( This whole process is detailed fully in Romans chapters 3 through 8. It is reckoning our old nature dead with Christ, and walking in His spirit of resurrection that God leads us by His Spirit into what we are becoming and what we will do. There is no other way. Chapter 6 is the key.)

We must, whether you want to call it rely, trust, depend, believe, etc., on God to work outward His Life through us or we are walking in the flesh . . . no matter what we think about what we or others do.

It is not anything we try to do. This constitutes putting our trust in ourselves and in the same stroke, not believing God.

It's a one or the other situation.
Nobody can truly serve two masters.
We can only serve one and disregard the other.

It is finding our selves crucified with Christ that we walk in the newness of life. It's not the act, but the nature that must change. God will only reveal His glory living through us when we remain crucified with Christ.

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. ( Lk. 9.23 )

And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he (Jesus) said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. ( Mk. 8.34-38 )

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. ( Mt. 10:32-33 )

edited: errors

2010/10/5 17:52

Re: THE BIAS OF DEGENERATION by Oswald Chambers

wow, thanks greg for sharing that here, something "clicked" when I read that. It was like a confirmation of questions that I had asked the Lord so many times before, "Why did one man's disobedience spill over unto me".

I've got to mull over that so more.

2010/10/5 20:00
mkal

Minnesota

Re:

Yes, amen. On the one side, we must see that we are hopeless incurables, and all of our man-made efforts at overcoming always fail, leading to a revelation of our wretchedness. As Tozer once wrote, “For it is not scriptural to believe that the old Adam nature can be conquered in that manner. It yields to nothing less than the death of the cross. It is altogether too tough to be killed by abusing the body or starving the affections.”

On the other side, we must discover that we have died with Christ and risen too, that now His life is our life...and we have no other to depend upon. Much of modern preaching is focused on making a person better, more moral, successful and so forth, but as Ravenhill once said (something like), "the gospel is not about making bad men good, but rather making dead men live."

Yes, what Phanetheus has said here, "It is only through identification with Jesus Christ's life, death, and ressurection life can we walk rightly," is truly the answer to living for God.

2010/10/6 0:12Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

The Bent of Regeneration

Here is the answer to yesterday's insoluble problem...

October 6th.

THE BENT OF REGENERATION
"When it pleased God . . to reveal His Son in me." Galatians 1:15, 16

If Jesus Christ is to regenerate me, what is the problem He is up against? I have a heredity I had no say in; I am not holy, nor likely to be; and if all Jesus Christ can do is to tell me I must be holy, His teaching plants despair. But if Jesus Christ is a Regenerator, One Who can put into me His own heredity of holiness, then I begin to see what He is driving at when He says that I have to be holy. Redemption means that Jesus Christ can put into any man the hereditary disposition that was in Himself, and all the standards He gives are based on that disposition: His teaching is for the life He puts in. The moral transaction on my part is agreement with God's verdict on sin in the Cross of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament teaching about regeneration is that when a man is struck by a sense of need, God will put the Holy Spirit into his spirit, and his personal spirit will be energized by the Spirit of the Son of God, "until Christ be formed in you." The moral miracle of Redemption is that God can put into me a new disposition whereby I can live a totally new life. When I reach the frontier of need and know my limitations, Jesus says - "Blessed are you." But I have to get there. God cannot put into me, a responsible moral being, the disposition that was in Jesus Christ unless I am conscious I need it.

Just as the disposition of sin entered into the human race by one man, so the Holy Spirit entered the human race by another Man; and Redemption means that I can be delivered from the heredity of sin and through Jesus Christ can receive an unsullied heredity, viz., the Holy Spirit.

2010/10/6 2:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

by MikeH on 2010/10/5 11:54:26
God nowhere holds a man responsible for having the heredity of sin. The condemnation is not that I am born with a heredity of sin, but if when I realize Jesus Christ came to deliver me from it, I refuse to let Him do so, from that moment I begin to get the seal of damnation. "And this is the judgment" (the critical moment), "that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light."

The implications are momentous! I have held this to be the truth of the matter for many years.

2010/10/6 2:13Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

mkal on 2010/10/6 2:12:39
"Yes, what Phanetheus has said here, "It is only through identification with Jesus Christ's life, death, and ressurection life can we walk rightly," is truly the answer to living for God."

I don't think this is quite what OS is saying. Today's 'My Utmost' will make it clear. OS is talking about genuine regeneration. When we ARE dead to sin then we must reckon it to be so, but to reckon it to be so when we have not experienced it will produce a spiritual schizophrenia.

2010/10/6 2:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy