SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : IHOP (the pancake-maker) sues IHOP (the prayer center)...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

IHOP (the pancake-maker) sues IHOP (the prayer center)...

IHOP (the pancake-maker) sues IHOP (the prayer center) over trademark
By DONALD BRADLEY
The Kansas City Star
Tue, Sep. 14, 2010

Pancakes and prayers — have we reached a point where even those two can’t get along?

Frankly, yes. So praise the Lord and pass the syrup, the International House of Pancakes and International House of Prayer are fixing to throw down.

IHOP (pancake), based in Glendale, Calif., has sued IHOP (prayer), based in Kansas City, for trademark dilution and infringement. The lawsuit, filed last week in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, essentially said there was room for only one IHOP and that would be the restaurant chain that has been using the initials since 1973.

The religious group drawing thousands from around the world to south Kansas City to prepare for “end times” was started just 10 years ago.

Other than an acronym, the two have nearly zilch in common.

The IHOP (prayer) on Red Bridge Road operates 24/7/365, sending a never-ending digital signal of prayers to Jerusalem, where it streams live on God TV for broadcast all over the world.

The other largely operates 24/7/365, too, but it is known for its pancakes, including a signature breakfast specialty called “Rooty Tooty Fresh ’N Fruity.”

But the chain, which has 1,476 restaurants across the country, claims it has six registered trademarks with the IHOP acronym and that the religious group’s use of the same four-letter logo causes, according to the lawsuit, “great and irreparable injury and confuses the public.”

The lawsuit further accuses the church mission of adopting the name International House of Prayer knowing it would be abbreviated IHOP — the intent being to misappropriate fame and notoriety of the food chain.

On Tuesday, IHOP (pancake) spokesman Patrick Lenow said the suit was filed only after the church mission refused repeated requests to stop using the trademark.

“We are compelled to protect the 350 small-business owners who own IHOP franchises and the IHOP good name that’s been around for 52 years,” Lenow said.

Thus the question, why sue now? The church mission started calling itself IHOP a decade ago.

“They’ve expanded — and now some of the branches are serving food,” Lenow said.

Among the seven defendants, four are in California where the suit was filed, including the Pasadena International House of Prayer. Although the suit also seeks attorney fees and costs of litigation, it does not ask for monetary damages.

Calls to IHOP (prayer) chief operating officer Mark Schumacher were not returned.

Gary Cooper, a former Houston attorney who until recently served as the mission’s chief financial officer, said the lawsuit lacked legal basis.

“I don’t think it will go anywhere,” Cooper, who serves on an IHOP board, said Tuesday by telephone from Oklahoma.

But Gary Hecker, a well-known intellectual rights attorney in Los Angeles and founder of the Hecker Law Group, said the court would probably side with the restaurant chain.

“Because of that extremely famous name, IHOP may well have the right to protect itself even well outside the scope of selling pancakes,” Hecker said Tuesday.

One defense might be that the two sides are so different that no confusion could exist.

Even so, Hecker said, “I would take the pancakes.”

IHOP (prayer) was started by a man named Mike Bickle, who by his own admission grew up in a Waldo bar and claims to have traveled to heaven twice.

The ministry is now planning to build a $150 million world headquarters — including IHOP University and a 5,000-seat conference center — along U.S. 71 in Grandview.

Again, IHOP (pancakes) got there first. One of the restaurants is across the highway.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/14/2224629/ihop-the-pancake-maker-sues-ihop.html#ixzz0zd2o0hcD

2010/9/15 15:38Profile
knitefall

Re: IHOP (the pancake-maker) sues IHOP (the prayer center)...

I don't mean anyone any harm but this is certainly funny:

"IHOP (prayer) was started by a man named Mike Bickle, who by his own admission grew up in a Waldo bar and claims to have traveled to heaven twice."

2010/9/15 19:26Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Wonder what Jesus would do?

I have a suggestion: Cook a tasty meal for the CEOs of the pancake chain, and tell them they are right, that you will withdraw your right to use the acronym, IHOP. (Actually, when I first came to SI and saw this acronym I was confused for a long time because I was familiar with the restaurant chain that goes by IHOP but not the church.) Then shake hands and wish them the best!

Seems to me Jesus said something about agreeing with your adversaries...maybe they are ignorant of this verse found in Matthew 5:25...

Just a thought....

2010/9/16 14:30Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Let us pray for the ihop prayer center. There are some good brothers and sisters serving there and it must be a hard time for them through these circumstances.

2010/9/16 14:38Profile

Re:

AMEN to the praying attitute!!!!

Let us pray for the ihop prayer center. There are some good brothers and sisters serving there and it must be a hard time for them through these circumstances.

qutoe a friend said here "
I don't mean anyone any harm but this is certainly funny:
"IHOP (prayer) was started by a man named Mike Bickle, who by his own admission grew up in a Waldo bar and claims to have traveled to heaven twice."

I do not feel any thing funny about brother Mike Bickle's background,
in the Bible, God convert prostitue, killer, criminal
a man's past does not mean anything as long as you are
changed by God now ! in modern day, God still convert killer, criminal, gay/lesibian, drug alcohol Addict.
no one is better than other, the most imporatant thing is that We need God's touch, grace, and conversion. we also need mercy toward others !

2010/9/17 18:04
mguldner

Kansas

This is definitely a strange developement considering this my friends that go the the IHOP School of Missions gets a 10% discount at all IHop resturants. Strange :-S But I will be praying.

2010/9/17 18:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Is it not a waste of funds to defend yourself in court over such a trivial matter? How can you justify paying lawyers, court fees with the LORD's money over such a frivolous matter?

Has IHOP forgotten the existence of the Golden Rule?

Sounds childish to me....and the more I think of it the foolisher it gets. Now if they would be three year-olds there would be a meeting of the paddle with some behinds.

From a mom and grandma who spanked a few younguns,
ginnyrose

2010/9/17 18:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy