Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Legalism or truth

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Grant, electronic media does have it's limits. :)

Augustine75, thanks for posting and welcome to SI. We are all learing and growing so there's really no need for the disclaimer.

Here's a link for a sermon that may prove helpful: http://www.vorthosforum.com/export/Articles/The%20Expulsive%20Power%20of%20a%20New%20Affection.pdf

The sermon is entitled, "The Expulsive Power of a New Affection," by Thomas Chalmers. The pdf listed above has a very readable format (as well as some photos) and the main points are highlighted in bold print. (This sermon in written in an older style of English so please take your time with it.)

Pastor Chalmers' thesis is that the love of God must be stronger than our love for sin in order to walk in fullness and that although it is easier to simply speak of the futilty of evil that alone is insufficient. His text is 1 John 2:15.

John Piper said something to this effect, "We must remove the taste for that with which the tempter baits the hook."

Grace and Peace,
Matthew

2010/9/14 8:16Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Legalism or truth

DirkW wrote:
Someone said lately that as à preacher we dont have to say in preaching what CHRISTIANS do wrong because we only speak from outward about their behaviour. Hearts are not getting changed by that and people fall into legalism.
Rather we preach Grace, your position in Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit. What do you think about this? How are we to preach to brothers...?
Do we already know our Sins by our conscience or can that also be unclean as a christian? Hope you can share some light on this questions.
---------------------------------------

To me, legalism comes about because of man’s distrust of God. We don’t trust God to change a person in HIS TIME. It boils down to distrust in God and trust in self which is pride. Think about it... God isn’t the one who gets all bent out of shape when people aren’t changing quickly enough!

I was listening to Derek Prince teaching this week, “The Cross in My Life,” and he made a statement (#4 I think) that I don’t remember ever hearing before... (Paraphrased) “The first occurrence of pride happened in the heavenlies, in God’s dwelling place; what makes us think that we cannot be affected by pride here on earth?”

Link to The Cross in My Life (4 - 28 min sermons)...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=derek+prince+the+cross+in+my+life&aq=f

Just my two cents worth.

God bless you,
Lisa

2010/9/14 12:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy