SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible Burning

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
whyme

Bible Burning

Check this out for irony. ( I'm not in favor of burning Islamic Bibles either).

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/20/us.military.bibles.burned/

2010/9/9 10:29Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Bible Burning

I posted on the original subject about the Dove church in Florida burning the Koran and as with most others think they are irresponsible at best and just provoking Muslims and playing into the hands of the extremists.

However I could not help wonder when I saw the world news about every national and religious leader going public in condemning the action, that does the burning of churches and bibles in Muslim countries provoke even a small percentage of this outcry from the world's leaders? The answer is no!

Obviously this does not justify the action of burning the Koran, but the overwhelming bias against Christians seems to be increasing. Unjust measures in judging one person or group differently to another is an abomination to the LORD. May God convict all these leaders of their stance here when it comes to Christian perecution in Muslim states.

2010/9/9 12:04Profile

Re:

Thats a very good point, Heydave. I had not thought of that.

But as believers we should take the high road and never lower ourselves to the level of the enemy.

Here in western NC this year there was a kooky pastor of a small Baptist church (50 members, like the Dove Church in FL) and he decided that they would burn whatever Bibles they could find that were not KJV's. This too got some national media attention. The town denied a burn permit, and the controversy went away.

I have to wonder though if people think about how their actions will impact the name of Christ. Koran burnings, Bible burnings! How does that look to the outside world?

2010/9/9 12:15
whyme

Re:

What that local church is doing is wrong but I too am profoundly struck by the ironic worldwide outrage of the "insensitivity" of burning a religion's scriptures and yet when a Christian is beheaded or lit on fire in Iran or India, there isn't the slightest peep from world leaders about offending Christians. How about a reaction from the world leaders about a group of Islamic believers ( not just terrorist ) who are prepared to act violently against another country's or faith's people for the acts of a few. We are constantly and perhaps rightly cautioned against blaming all Muslims for the extremist acts of a few and yet who in leadership positions is calling for the same kind of restraint in the other direction. It's almost as if we're codoning a violent reaction by railing so hard against a little local church which is behaving offensively and foolishly.

2010/9/9 13:24Profile
Renoncer

Re:

This is a very sad story, but this story reveals the truth. He who has an ear, let him hear…

My heart is broken at the sight of this tragedy. The worst part is the evil that entices people to make such decisions. Thankfully, by the grace of God, the Lord has kept people for Himself, of whom the following verses are true:

1) And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. (Revelation 12:11)
2) But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:24)
3) I bow down toward Your holy temple and give thanks to Your name for Your steadfast love and Your faithfulness, for You have exalted above all things Your name and Your word. (Psalm 138:2)
4) My soul longs for Your salvation; I hope in Your word. (Psalm 119:81)

God have mercy on us, because we all have that tendency within to justify great evil…

2010/9/9 13:53Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

My thoughts are that the only way to separate the chaff from the wheat is for the wheat to look different. I do believe persecution is coming to christian church but God will allow it to purify His bride.

2010/9/9 16:20Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Burn the American flag, and the world will herald your "freedom of speech". Burn a Bible, and the world will proclaim your justice. Burn a Koran, and every type of person will denounce you. Yes, just joining in noticing the irony. Having said all that, I do not think any Christian should burn a Koran. Jesus and the apostles would not have done so. It is a waste of focus and sends entirely the wrong message. Our message should be gospel and there is a different message about burning to deliver. Save your matches for the campfire.

2010/9/9 17:12Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Bible Burning

I have been reflecting on the issue of Quran vs Bible burning. The fundamental difference between the faiths is that Muslims have a largely physical faith that promotes a physical domination, physical place of meeting, and a holy book. The god of Islam is not a god of continual revelation thus the Quran effectually becomes the Muslim's god. The god of Christianity is real, living and relational. He has a history of continual revelation to His people. Under the New Covenant, He now abides in each one of His children. Thus when a Quran is burned it is destroying a Muslim's god, when a Bible is burned it does not have the same effect. It is also the reason Christians who have a textualist view of the Scriptures have trouble without access to it.

2010/9/9 17:30Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Goldminer,
God indeed uses persecution to refine His people. As difficult as these challenges may be, we need them… Oh, do we need them! Let us pray that God would give us perseverance and faith through trials (2 Thessalonians 1:4-5).

Lord, we are unworthy of Your care, but we appeal to Your mercy: Refine us! Bring us into Your will! Sanctify us through and through! For we want the glory of Christ to shine forth into the world. We want Your name to be honored, and even though the pagans accuse us of wrongdoing, they may see the holiness of Your bride and glory You on the day of visitation! In Jesus Christ’s precious name, Amen.

2010/9/9 17:31Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Very insightful post Jeremy. Excellent observations.

2010/9/9 17:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy